FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton {MDV} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1915531-saii-lagoon-maldives-curio-collection-hilton-mdv.html)

hugolover Jun 20, 2018 10:15 am

SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton {MDV}

I deleted my post.

How did we miss this one?

It's not in our opening thread...

drewdawg199 Jun 20, 2018 10:59 am

I'm not sure anyone "missed" it, it's been mentioned in multiple articles on the web. Not sure why anyone would go to the Maldives to stay at a place like this though.

harrisk7 Jun 24, 2018 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by drewdawg199 (Post 29887080)
I'm not sure anyone "missed" it, it's been mentioned in multiple articles on the web. Not sure why anyone would go to the Maldives to stay at a place like this though.

+1 Conrad or new Waldorf

gallagher Aug 16, 2018 6:48 am

When searching for Maldives' properties on Hilton.com, I notice the this Curio property now appears as 'coming soon' :)

gallagher Nov 20, 2018 3:05 am

Entry level (Sky) rooms are now loaded at 95,000 points per night.

Transfers are USD135 inclusive of taxes. USD67 for child 6-12 years and free for younger children

JetSet05 Nov 20, 2018 7:17 am

Originally Posted by gallagher (Post 30448051)
Entry level (Sky) rooms are now loaded at 95,000 points per night.

It looks like the points range from 63K-95K. And the standard rates range from about $240-$485. I am curious to see this hotel, but wouldn't use points, perhaps a short stay before heading back to the Conrad or new Waldorf.

gallagher Nov 20, 2018 10:00 am

Originally Posted by JetSet05 (Post 30448515)
It looks like the points range from 63K-95K. And the standard rates range from about $240-$485. I am curious to see this hotel, but wouldn't use points, perhaps a short stay before heading back to the Conrad or new Waldorf.

In October 2019 the cheapest room was £95k. What dates are you seeing cheaper rooms?

thanks

BLTraveler Nov 20, 2018 11:47 am

Originally Posted by gallagher (Post 30449062)
In October 2019 the cheapest room was £95k. What dates are you seeing cheaper rooms?

thanks

looks like rooms are bookable August 1st at the earliest. Wonder if those dates will be pushed earlier.

JetSet05 Nov 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by gallagher (Post 30449062)

thanks

I did a day by day search using flexible dates search. I found most of Sept is 63K as well as Oct 12-31

mikewhyatt Dec 12, 2018 6:29 am

SAii Lagoon, Curio Collection by Hilton (Opening August 1, 2019)

Hi all,

This looks like another great Hilton addition in the Maldives. I will be keeping a close eye on this property as it is set to open on August 1, 2019 before my planned trip to the Conrad Maldives. Looks like points rates are up:

KING SKY ROOM: 88,000
KING BEACH ROOM: 145,000
KING BEACH VILLA: 178,000
KING OVER-WATER VILLA: 210,000

Tilly71 Jan 10, 2019 3:23 am

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt (Post 30526723)
Hi all,

This looks like another great Hilton addition in the Maldives. I will be keeping a close eye on this property as it is set to open on August 1, 2019 before my planned trip to the Conrad Maldives. Looks like points rates are up:

KING SKY ROOM: 88,000
KING BEACH ROOM: 145,000
KING BEACH VILLA: 178,000
KING OVER-WATER VILLA: 210,000

Whats people opinions on this resort against the new Waldorf Astoria being built or Rangali?

mayaalex Jan 12, 2019 7:23 am

Wouldn’t it be located too close to the trash island? I.e. the small island off Male where they burn most of the waste?

ijakov Feb 15, 2019 12:04 pm

Anyone with pictures or updates on the progress of construction/opening of this resort?

I will be visiting Maldives around the Christmas time and am considering booking here with Hilton points. I will have enough points only in late March and was hoping to use them for Waldorf Astoria, but they already opened booking for the period and all award availability quickly evaporated. So I may settle for Curio.

pinniped Feb 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Looks like an option if you have to do 1 night somewhere to/from the Conrad or W=A.

hugolover Feb 15, 2019 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by mayaalex (Post 30645045)
Wouldn’t it be located too close to the trash island? I.e. the small island off Male where they burn most of the waste?

W00t? Is that with carbon capture?

A place so threatened by global warming we are told, that it burns its waste? W00t?

htran88 Mar 20, 2019 2:43 pm

might consider staying here for a night before heading over to waldorf property, cost of one night +transfers from MLE to saii and saii to waldorf (~$1045) is about the same as how much it would cost to do the transfer through waldorf

soy Mar 20, 2019 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by htran88 (Post 30910441)
might consider staying here for a night before heading over to waldorf property, cost of one night +transfers from MLE to saii and saii to waldorf (~$1045) is about the same as how much it would cost to do the transfer through waldorf

If you do, please post a report. On first glances this is almost the anti-Maldives hotel, but would be interested to hear a first hand report. If you are likely to get to Waldorf later in the evening, then this may well be a better option if what you say above is correct, ie Saii room + transfers = Waldorf transfers (without room cost)

Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant Mar 20, 2019 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by gallagher (Post 30448051)
Transfers are USD135 inclusive of taxes. USD67 for child 6-12 years and free for younger children

***Anyone know the scoop on cheaper transportation options from local boat hires or public ferry?

I don't know how it works there if you showed up on a private boat (uberfloat!) if the hotel or island would have a problem with that or not. Just seems like hotel car service is usually way more expensive than private guide, taxi, or other private/free market solution - in this case a Dhoni public ferry.

I see from a press release on the island (not the hotel!) there will be "Scheduled ferry services from the airport and Malé City will provide access to the destination for tourist and local visitors, while chartered speedboat services will also be available." So... "local" usually means "cheap" for ferry services. Locals aren't going to pay $150 to get a 15 minute ride to the neighboring island's beach.

My understanding is that the hotel itself advertises a "15 minute speedboat ride" from the Malé airport island as the only option, whereas Crossroads Island has been issuing press releases talking about buying a fleet of low-emission Jalboot ferries (not speedboats) for an assumedly longer, but perhaps cheaper ride?

The local ferry rides are generally reaaaallly cheeeeep, so curious if there's an option for not paying $270 per couple for a 15 minutes ride... seems a "take advantage of rich tourists" move if there's an option available for a only-slightly-longer ride on brand-new advanced boats for a tenth the price. (I'm making some price assumptions based on the fact a boat to Maafushi for instance, is like $20 per head, and that's a public speedboat (not a slow ferry). And Maafushi is about five times the distance as SAii is from the Villingili Ferry Terminal in Malé.)

htran88 Mar 21, 2019 5:14 am

i looked on atolltransfers.com but it seems like they are a third party travel agency so i don't know who the direct source is. they gave an estimate of $25 per nautical mile

htran88 Mar 21, 2019 5:18 am

Reservation booked for Feb 29, 2020...i'll let you all know after!

BLTraveler Jul 17, 2019 3:20 am

Originally Posted by htran88 (Post 30912377)
Reservation booked for Feb 29, 2020...i'll let you all know after!

I had a few days booked in August 2019. Was just contacted by the hotel saying it will not open until September. They offered to reschedule a different date or rebook at Conrad at no additional charge. Not a good start.

christianj Jul 17, 2019 6:34 am

Originally Posted by BLTraveler (Post 31312367)

I had a few days booked in August 2019. Was just contacted by the hotel saying it will not open until September. They offered to reschedule a different date or rebook at Conrad at no additional charge. Not a good start.

I'm going to assume you have an award reservation.....so wouldn't a rebook at the Conrad be a good thing considering that the Conrad base rooms is a villa vs the King Beach room at the SAii?

creditcardgeek Jul 17, 2019 6:48 am

Originally Posted by christianj (Post 31312745)
I'm going to assume you have an award reservation.....so wouldn't a rebook at the Conrad be a good thing considering that the Conrad base rooms is a villa vs the King Beach room at the SAii?

I'd also be interested in seeing if they are paying for the transfer costs to get to the Conrad.

BLTraveler Jul 30, 2019 3:59 am

Originally Posted by christianj (Post 31312745)

I booked with cash. I have been to the Conrad twice (was there 4 months ago) and was looking to try something new. Can’t complain though, seaplane transfer was included and I sure do miss the scotch eggs at Conrad.

Jermyn Aug 18, 2019 2:57 am

This looks like a really interesting option which should easily surpass the lower tier properties like the Sheraton, although clearly pitching itself below the usual 'aspirational' points properties.
Points of Arabia just posted this on this blog yesterday:

SAII LAGOON – HONORS GOLD BENEFITS

I had reached out to the resort to understand the Honors Gold benefits. This is what I was told,

Due to the very special nature of the accommodation at SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton are unable to offer complimentary upgraded accommodation. However, as you are a valued Gold member, we are delighted to offer you the following benefits during your stay. Kindly note that Gold benefits are only applicable for cardholder and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay. In the event that cardholder is not travelling, guests who are staying with us will not be entitled to enjoy the benefits below.
  • Opening Promotion: 1000 Honors bonus points per Night (1-Aug to 31-Oct-2019)
  • Complimentary breakfast for cardholder and one guest per day in Miss Olive Oyl restaurant.
  • Complimentary breakfast will be provided in Miss Olive Oyl restaurant for the accompanying child under 12 years.
  • Free Access to bean/Co a la carte menu from 14.30 to 18.30.
  • Free Access to Miss Olive Oyl Pool Bar beverage a la carte menu from 17.30 to 18.30.
  • One bottle of White or Red wine upon arrival. Chocolate & Fruit amenities upon arrival.

HH Gold basically get half board and free flowing drinks at the pool for an hour every day!
I've told countless people about the value of redeeming points at the Conrad but the additional costs are undeniable.

This looks like the first Maldives property where you could genuinely stay on points without incurring a significant additional cash outlay.

Add in the fact that you can stay here for a night with included transfers for the same or less than just paying for the 'luxury yacht' transfer to the WA - and you have the recipe for an extremely popular resort for HH elites. (i.e. anybody with a credit card)

kyushuman Aug 20, 2019 10:04 pm

Hey there have a tangentially related question so I’ll post here.... my partner and I will be visiting family in India and so will be “nearby” and I have 2 free night certificates to use. Also have 300K HHonors points.
First looked around India and there are no “aspirational” HHonors properties in India. Seems like Dubai or Thailand are the closest other than Maldives. Dubai would be an easy, short flight and could do Waldorf Astoria. But I’m less inspired by that option.

Looking at BOM MLE and fares seem to be in the US$300-350 range. Decent.
Considered Conrad Maldives but even with the 2 free nights and 95K for 2 more nights, the $1200 for seaplane, and likely hundreds more for food and beverage, make it less appealing as a “free” night.

It looks like this new property the Saii is much more affordable but then again, seems like there are some people naysaying already that it will be crap compared to Conrad Maldives.
I’m tempted to go to the Maldives since we are pretty close already so at least that expense would be less.
Thoughts?

BLTraveler Aug 21, 2019 12:45 am

Originally Posted by kyushuman (Post 31438433)
Hey there have a tangentially related question so I’ll post here.... my partner and I will be visiting family in India and so will be “nearby” and I have 2 free night certificates to use. Also have 300K HHonors points.
First looked around India and there are no “aspirational” HHonors properties in India. Seems like Dubai or Thailand are the closest other than Maldives. Dubai would be an easy, short flight and could do Waldorf Astoria. But I’m less inspired by that option.

Looking at BOM MLE and fares seem to be in the US$300-350 range. Decent.
Considered Conrad Maldives but even with the 2 free nights and 95K for 2 more nights, the $1200 for seaplane, and likely hundreds more for food and beverage, make it less appealing as a “free” night.

It looks like this new property the Saii is much more affordable but then again, seems like there are some people naysaying already that it will be crap compared to Conrad Maldives.
I’m tempted to go to the Maldives since we are pretty close already so at least that expense would be less.
Thoughts?

Well if you can get 40K more points, you can stay for 7 nights (5th night free using points plus two award certs). It might be crap compared to the Conrad Maldives, but really, how bad can it be? Its still the maldives with your own villa. The villas look pretty nice and the free pool drinks and snacks at bean/Co is a nice bonus. The holiday inn is probably crap compared to Conrad but the reviews of holiday inn have hundreds of people saying how much they love it.

calvinoeh Aug 21, 2019 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Jermyn (Post 31428569)
This looks like a really interesting option which should easily surpass the lower tier properties like the Sheraton, although clearly pitching itself below the usual 'aspirational' points properties.
Points of Arabia just posted this on this blog yesterday:

SAII LAGOON – HONORS GOLD BENEFITS

I had reached out to the resort to understand the Honors Gold benefits. This is what I was told,

Due to the very special nature of the accommodation at SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton are unable to offer complimentary upgraded accommodation. However, as you are a valued Gold member, we are delighted to offer you the following benefits during your stay. Kindly note that Gold benefits are only applicable for cardholder and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay. In the event that cardholder is not travelling, guests who are staying with us will not be entitled to enjoy the benefits below.
  • Complimentary breakfast for cardholder and one guest per day in Miss Olive Oyl restaurant.
  • Complimentary breakfast will be provided in Miss Olive Oyl restaurant for the accompanying child under 12 years.
  • Free Access to Miss Olive Oyl Pool Bar beverage a la carte menu from 17.30 to 18.30.
  • One bottle of White or Red wine upon arrival. Chocolate & Fruit amenities upon arrival.

HH Gold basically get half board and free flowing drinks at the pool for an hour every day!
I've told countless people about the value of redeeming points at the Conrad but the additional costs are undeniable.

This looks like the first Maldives property where you could genuinely stay on points without incurring a significant additional cash outlay.

Add in the fact that you can stay here for a night with included transfers for the same or less than just paying for the 'luxury yacht' transfer to the WA - and you have the recipe for an extremely popular resort for HH elites. (i.e. anybody with a credit card)

yea that looks like an awesome deal but not sure id go to Maldives and stay at the Saii considering it is in the integrated resorts/Crossroads... could end up feeling like anywhere else in the world.

Jermyn Aug 22, 2019 2:21 am

I don't disagree if you're talking about where to spend an entire holiday but I think that as a value proposition, if you're arriving late in the afternoon it could make a lot of sense to pay for one night here, with included early morning transfer to the WA - rather than paying for the direct yacht to WA only to arrive there late in the day.

That's where this resort should do really well.

I imagine they will capture a lot of revenue that would otherwise have gone to the airport hotels, given the ease of access.

calvinoeh Aug 22, 2019 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Jermyn (Post 31442982)
I don't disagree if you're talking about where to spend an entire holiday but I think that as a value proposition, if you're arriving late in the afternoon it could make a lot of sense to pay for one night here, with included early morning transfer to the WA - rather than paying for the direct yacht to WA only to arrive there late in the day.

That's where this resort should do really well.

I imagine they will capture a lot of revenue that would otherwise have gone to the airport hotels, given the ease of access.

on that i agree... definitely good value to stay even 1-2 days prior to transfer to some other resort..

cennis Aug 29, 2019 2:47 pm

I read that WA does not allow self arranged transfers to their island? Not sure if the MLE-SAii-WA plan is doable, but I would be very interested.

Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant Aug 29, 2019 3:34 pm

For the betterment of the FT forum, I asked about Diamond benefits (to add to the Gold benefit info posted upthread.) I also asked about other transport options. (However, with the “Oops, our bad, here’s free transpo” offer all year, this is sort of obviated.)

Dear Mr. Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant,

Warm Greetings from SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton!
Thank you for below mail. Please find below our comments for your reference.

1. What are the Diamond Benefits at this Curio property?

- Please find below Diamond benefits applicable at SAii Lagoon Maldives.

Due to the very special nature of the accommodation at SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton are unable to offer complimentary upgraded accommodation. However, as you are a valued Diamond member, we are delighted to offer you the following benefits during your stay. Kindly note that Diamond benefits are only applicable for cardholder and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay. In the event that cardholder is not travelling, guests who are staying with us will not be entitled to enjoy the benefits below.
  • Hilton Honors rewards stay is based on 02 people, room only basis.
  • Additional adult’s breakfast supplement is USD 25++ per person per day in Miss Olive Oyl Restaurant.
  • Extra child has to pay green tax USD 6 per night direct.
  • One bottle of Sparkling wine upon arrival. Chocolate & Fruit amenities upon arrival.
2. Your website says there is "shuttle, speedboat, or seaplane" to get to the Crossroads Atoll. In addition to this, are there Dhoni ferries or other public local transportation if we want to go back and forth to Male and the Crossroads atoll during our stay?

- Our resort is accessible via 15-20min speedboat ride from Male’ international airport. We would not recommend local ferries, however it is still your choice to book own transportations at your own risk.

SUMMARY DIAMOND VS GOLD BENEFITS

-- You get sparking wine instead of white/red.

- You get access to the pool bar menu menu at 17:30-18:30.

POSSIBLY DIFFERENT, OR JUST THINGS NOT EXPLAINED IN GOLD BENEFITS
* Extra guests beyond two pax are $25 for breakfast?
* Kids pay $6 green tax.
* Award stays only include for 2 pax. (Kids/extra peeps are charged extra?)

...so it seems kinda like... no difference at all between Gold and Diamond at this property. I dunno. I don't drink wine, so the difference is lost on me if there's bubbles in my fermented grape juice or not.
UPDATE: they’re clarifying/changing the pool bar to Diamonds, no longer offering that to Golds.

And, while they don't "recommend it" there must be cheap local transpo back and forth to Male/other islands/atolls.

alice50734 Aug 30, 2019 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant (Post 31471355)
For the betterment of the FT forum, I asked about Diamond benefits (to add to the Gold benefit info posted upthread.) I also asked about other transport options. (However, with the “Oops, our bad, here’s free transpo” offer all year, this is sort of obviated.)

Dear Mr. Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant,

Warm Greetings from SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton!
Thank you for below mail. Please find below our comments for your reference.

1. What are the Diamond Benefits at this Curio property?

- Please find below Diamond benefits applicable at SAii Lagoon Maldives.

Due to the very special nature of the accommodation at SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton are unable to offer complimentary upgraded accommodation. However, as you are a valued Diamond member, we are delighted to offer you the following benefits during your stay. Kindly note that Diamond benefits are only applicable for cardholder and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay. In the event that cardholder is not travelling, guests who are staying with us will not be entitled to enjoy the benefits below.
  • Hilton Honors rewards stay is based on 02 people, room only basis.
  • Additional adult’s breakfast supplement is USD 25++ per person per day in Miss Olive Oyl Restaurant.
  • Extra child has to pay green tax USD 6 per night direct.
  • One bottle of Sparkling wine upon arrival. Chocolate & Fruit amenities upon arrival.
2. Your website says there is "shuttle, speedboat, or seaplane" to get to the Crossroads Atoll. In addition to this, are there Dhoni ferries or other public local transportation if we want to go back and forth to Male and the Crossroads atoll during our stay?

- Our resort is accessible via 15-20min speedboat ride from Male’ international airport. We would not recommend local ferries, however it is still your choice to book own transportations at your own risk.

SUMMARY DIAMOND VS GOLD BENEFITS

-- You get sparking wine instead of white/red.

POSSIBLY DIFFERENT, OR JUST THINGS NOT EXPLAINED IN GOLD BENEFITS
* Extra guests beyond two pax are $25 for breakfast?
* Kids pay $6 green tax.
* Award stays only include for 2 pax. (Kids/extra peeps are charged extra?)

...so it seems kinda like... no difference at all between Gold and Diamond at this property. I dunno. I don't drink wine, so the difference is lost on me if there's bubbles in my fermented grape juice or not.
And, while they don't "recommend it" there must be cheap local transpo back and forth to Male/other islands/atolls.

They’ve reduced the Gold member benefits, it now make a bit difference to Diamond benefits.
See below for gold member benefits:
-
Due to the very special nature of the accommodation at SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton are unable to offer complimentary upgraded accommodation. However, as you are a valued Gold member, we are delighted to offer you the following benefits during your stay. Kindly note thatGold benefits are only applicable for cardholder and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay. In the event that cardholder is not travelling, guests who are staying with us will not be entitled to enjoy the benefits below.
  • Opening Promotion: 1000 Honors bonus points per Night (1-Sep 19 to 28-Feb 20
  • Complimentary breakfast for you and up to one guest registered in same room each day of your stay in All Day Dinning restaurant.
  • Complimentary breakfast will be provided in All Day Dinning restaurantfor the accompanying child under 12 years.
  • Additional adult’s breakfast supplement is USD 25++ per person per day in All Day Dinning Restaurant.
  • Free access to bean/Co a la carte menu from 14.30 to 18.30.

Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant Sep 1, 2019 7:41 pm

Wow. Their Instagram story today has the first guests arriving. The whole staff lined up on the boat dock, greeted the guests by giving them flowers, had an (assumedly) native drum show, a water flyboard guy was hovering above welcoming them with a flag, and the guests were all ferried in — on a submarine.

Gotta admit: Nothing at ALL like the Tulsa Doubletree.

🤣

itsj0nathan Sep 29, 2019 8:39 am

Can someone provide me with the email address to the resort?

Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant Sep 29, 2019 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by itsj0nathan (Post 31575562)
Can someone provide me with the email address to the resort?

This email [email protected] has answered my questions as well as able to make reservations.

TDM

Expatbear Oct 14, 2019 2:53 am

Seems they keep “enhancing” the benefits (using the BA definition anyway)

Visiting this weekend. The current email response says:

Due to the very special nature of the accommodations at our properties in the Maldives we are unable to offer upgraded accommodations. However, we are delighted to offer elite Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond Members alternate benefits: which can be found on www.honors.com, for both Gold and Diamond.

Please click here to view our specific Hilton Honors offerings in this region.

As a valued Gold Member, your perks at the hotel include:
  • Free Standard Internet access– just connect to the InSAiiders Wi-Fi network and enter your Last Name and Room Number.
  • Two bottles of complimentary water, which you will find waiting for you in your room
  • Late checkout upon request subject to availability
  • Homemade Roasted Nuts & Daily Cookies.
  • Free Access to Miss Olive Oyl Pool Bar Beverage a la carte menu from 17.30 to 18.30.

link:
https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/.../maldives.html

will report back after the weekend!

demue Oct 14, 2019 11:03 pm

Did they take out the breakfast or is that an oversight by them? They shouldn't be able to remove that benefit for Gold / Diamond at a Curio. Not planning to go anytime soon, but it certainly would be a concern.

Expatbear Oct 16, 2019 3:06 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 31629298)
Did they take out the breakfast or is that an oversight by them? They shouldn't be able to remove that benefit for Gold / Diamond at a Curio. Not planning to go anytime soon, but it certainly would be a concern.

yes I noticed it in the webpage too - not sure what’s up with that. I will investigate and report back!

mastermc54 Oct 16, 2019 8:26 am

The Diamond and Gold breakfast is a moot point at this time since they are offering free breakfast for 2 and free transfer for 2 on all published rates (to match the current Hard Rock Hotel grand opening offer, which is also part of the Crossroads complex). It makes no sense to book a points reservation at this time, since you would be subject to the transfer fee of $148 per person. Cheapest rates during the current sale for a base room run $300 a night, and include the aforementioned breakfast and transfer for 2, so spending points would essentially save you $2 on a 2-person booking over current published sale rates (not to mention all the points you’d be missing out on).