Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Confirmed booking but hotel is not open yet...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class

I have made a prepaid booking recently for a new Hilton hotel (Hilton Istanbul Bakirkoy) that was supposed to open in March (at the time of booking).
Opening date was recently moved forward to April (booking is for end of May) and has then been changed to May 10th.
When I now try a dummy booking for my travel dates there are no rooms available until June 1st so I suspect the opening date will be forwarded again soon.
What is the standard policy when you have a confirmed booking in a hotel that is not open yet on the booking dates? Should I ask for a refund now (while there is still time to make a new booking for a decent price somewhere else) or does the hotel have to accommodate me in another hotel (I really want a hotel in the same area) and what happens with status benefits like breakfast and lounge access when they accommodate me in another chain (there is a Marriott Renaissance nearby)?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:59 am

Varies. Book somewhere else as a backup.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You probably won't be re-accommodated at a different chain. Even if you are, you won't get elite benefits. (when properties de-flag you always lose benefits, so this is no different if they move you elsewhere)

You certainly can get a refund or cancel your booking (was it really prepaid?). If there's another Honors property nearby that happens to be more expensive, you can probably arrange to be moved there but have your current rate held.

But basically, I would just make my own plans and get that booking cancelled.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: None
Not your fault (although a back up would have been nice). You can always complain about the error and they should be able to make arrangements for you.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:36 am

I understand the perspective of the other posters that, if one wants a guaranteed positive outcome with no surprises, it's best to take matters into your own hands (book elsewhere and cancel). But, personally I would be inclined to lean a bit harder on Hilton - the property and/or Diamond Desk - to make this right, if in fact it does come to pass that the property is not open. It is doubtful that you are the only one who made a reservation, so they must have some plans in place - try to figure out what they are and if they are to your advantage.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
No rooms have been made available now until June 16th (was June 1st yesterday) even though their website still says that they will open on May 10th (which I find hard to believe).
I have now also emailed them, I will book a reward night at the nearby Renaissance as a plan B.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Delectatio
Thanks for the replies.
No rooms have been made available now until June 16th (was June 1st yesterday) even though their website still says that they will open on May 10th (which I find hard to believe).
I have now also emailed them, I will book a reward night at the nearby Renaissance as a plan B.
Your stay may now fall during their soft opening and they plan on honoring that rez. The only way to find out is to contact the property (as you have) and keep detailed notes of those you talk with and what was discussed. Keep checking the website and dummy bookings to see how things change. Future reservations don't seem to get a lot of attention as they may be hoping they can make it happen but do have a backup plan.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

-Update-
The hotel has now confirmed by email (they were quiet quick to reply) that the opening has been postponed to June 16th.
They offered to transfer my booking to 2 nearby Hiltons or a Radisson Blu next door if I really want to be close to their location (for the same price).
I chose one of the Hiltons (that I know from previous stays and that is in the same price class).
missamo80 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.