Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Resort fee to cover “Honors benefits”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Resort fee to cover “Honors benefits”

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Sisosig
Is this correct? Is it a way to avoid franchise fees?

Anyway, I would suggest to bring back the category "hotels that have chosen not to take part in this promotion" for hotels charging a resort fee. You elect to charge this bogus fee to our customers? Ok then we'll exempt your property from our quarterly bonus promotions!
It makes the room rate look lower and​​​​ they don't have to pay for Hilton points on it!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Sisosig
Anyway, I would suggest to bring back the category "hotels that have chosen not to take part in this promotion" for hotels charging a resort fee. You elect to charge this bogus fee to our customers? Ok then we'll exempt your property from our quarterly bonus promotions!
I don't think individual hotels would see that as punishment. Most of their favored customers probably don't review the list of participating properties if they are even aware of the promo.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
A point to keep in mind, FTers make up a VERY SMALL percentage of Hilton customers and any shaming done here only gets a limited distribution. Granted we may be frequent guests and complain the most, but I'd still say we may be way under 5% of their business. Believe it or not, many of their guests don't even belong to HH! The internet is a very powerful resource for both the consumer and the merchant, so seeking out other venues to get your experience/opinion heard is the best option. Posting on sites like Trip Advisor or other travel sites broadens your audience. AND some like TA are actually monitored by properties (although sometimes by marketing types to slough off complaints).
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Jumping in here, as I've been asked about resort fees on reward stays. If the reservation is 100% on Points, the resort fee/taxes are waived. If the stay is Points & Money, then the resort fee/applicable taxes are charged since there is a paid portion.

If there are specific instances of a stay you've had on all Points and you've incurred a resort fee, please PM me with the details, including your Hilton Honors account number and the reservation number/dates and location of stay.

Thanks!
Lauren
Hi Lauren

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I believed this to be the case as well.
I have a stay coming up next month in Hilton Waikoloa village - Ocean tower and the confirmation email I got says I have to pay $40/day resort fee + $27/day parking fee.
Has something changed in the last few months?
Edit: Just to be clear, this is an all points stay (not cash or cash+points).
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rct12345
Hi Lauren

I have a stay coming up next month in Hilton Waikoloa village - Ocean tower and the confirmation email I got says I have to pay $40/day resort fee + $27/day parking fee.
I'm guessing you're looking at the note that is put there listing additional fees can apply. It isn't charged on full award stays. Just like parking isnt charged unless you use it, resort fee isnt charged if not applicable.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm guessing you're looking at the note that is put there listing additional fees can apply. It isn't charged on full award stays. Just like parking isnt charged unless you use it, resort fee isnt charged if not applicable.
Got it. Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by rct12345
Hi Lauren

You shouldn't get charged. I think it comes up on all reservations, resort fees aren't charged at a HGVC I stay at with our corporate rate but it always shows up on the reservation that it will be charged.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Exec [Silver], BA Amex Premium
Hi,

I know this is an old thread but the topic is relevant to me. I've just booked a 3 night stay at Orland Bonnet Creek Hilton with full points (no cash) and in the confirmation email I'm being charge the resort fee. I assume the policy has now changed??
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by scottishscrooge
Hi,

I know this is an old thread but the topic is relevant to me. I've just booked a 3 night stay at Orland Bonnet Creek Hilton with full points (no cash) and in the confirmation email I'm being charge the resort fee. I assume the policy has now changed??
Hi,

I believe the resort fee appears on all confirmations now (IT issue)

As a full points guest you will NOT be charged a resort fee.

Regards

TBS
BrlDsguise and birdiedouble like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I just have to comment that this growing trend of Resort Fees which basically just cover the benefits that Gold/Diamonds should be receiving gratis anyway, is beyond insulting and something that needs to be addressed by the HHonors program, specifically that Gold/Diamonds should be exempt from the fees.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
Fees are here to stay and increasing. Just look at them as part of the quoted room rate and then make a decision as to whether you are willing to pay that amount or not.

If is naive to think that the fees really are apportioned to the items specified, e.g. WiFi, bottled water and clean towels or whatever. Those fees are part of revenue and that is the end of it.

If the fees are disclosed ---- and they almost always are ---- and you choose to stay at a property, the fee is neither deceptive nor a ripoff nor anything other than room rent and nothing more.

Why do properties do this? Because search engines sort by price (unless otherwise changed). Consumers, e.g., the people complaining here, trend to booking to properties closer to the top of the displayed list. So, a $400 room appears before a $450 room. But, add $70 to the $400 room and $0 to the $450 room and which one is cheaper?
Resort/urban/destination fees are different in that they generally don't earn points, aren't discounted when one uses a discounted rate plan such as AAA, are generally on top of government per diem rates (but there's no additional per diem payment to cover them), and can generally cause reimbursement problems/issues as payment for "resort" facilities seems to contradict the business purpose of the trip.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Resort/urban/destination fees are different in that they generally don't earn points, aren't discounted when one uses a discounted rate plan such as AAA, are generally on top of government per diem rates (but there's no additional per diem payment to cover them), and can generally cause reimbursement problems/issues as payment for "resort" facilities seems to contradict the business purpose of the trip.
Although I agree with most of your post, I have found that, at least in NYC, destination fees are waived when the federal government rate is booked.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Exec [Silver], BA Amex Premium
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I believe the resort fee appears on all confirmations now (IT issue)

As a full points guest you will NOT be charged a resort fee.

Regards

TBS

ah great, thank you!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by cjd
Lauren,
Thanks for confirming that Resort Fees/taxes should not be charged when the reservation is a 100% Points Award.
If your points reservation is going to be charged Resort fees/taxes, should that not be listed on your confirmation? If not, it should not apply.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Unfortunately, in America this deceptive pricing is everywhere. E.g. you go to a restaurant and order something which is written as $100 on the menu. Try putting a $100 bill on the table and leaving, I'm sure the manager will stop you (for not paying the taxes which aren't included in advertised price), and the waiter will stop you (for not paying customary tip), and if the waiter doesn't stop you, you will surely be ridiculed by your friends/date etc.

Americans are conditioned to pay drastically over the advertised price, when a $100 meal on the menu actually would end up costing you $130 or so.

And that conditioning of always paying more than the advertised price leads itself to being willing to put up with stupid fees everywhere.
Feel free to not travel here if you do not like our cultural norms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.