Resort fee to cover “Honors benefits”

Old Mar 2, 18, 5:11 am
  #1  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,959
Resort fee to cover “Honors benefits”

Doesn’t this just make a complete mockery of the “resort charge”

For an Embassy’s suites to say that the $20 a night covers:
”Honors benefits” - which should be free
Daily newspapers - which should be free
​​​​​​​Poolside activities and recreation - uninteresting and should be free
​​​​​​​Drive in movies (probably a typo for dive in movies)
​​​​​​​WiFi - which should be free
Gym - which should be free

​​​​​​​really does take the biscuit.
the810, Sisosig and strickerj like this.

Last edited by andset1191; Mar 2, 18 at 5:24 am Reason: Did not mean to post
andset1191 is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 6:20 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 46
I was at the Hilton Bonnet Creek last month and here is what their resort fee covers.
  • Premium WiFi access throughout the resort and public areas (excluding meeting space). - didn't seem that fast to me
  • Kids Meal Deals in Harvest Bistro: Kids 12 and under eat dinner free when ordering from the Kid’s Menu and accompanied by an adult purchasing a full-priced entrée. Kids ages 4-12 enjoy a 50% discount on our breakfast buffet when accompanied by an adult purchasing a full-priced entrée or buffet. Breakfast buffet is complimentary for children under 4 years of age. - Didn't have any kids with me
  • Two (2) bottles of water daily
  • Access to Fitness Center - Should be free
  • Access to the Waldorf Astoria Golf Club practice facilities - Don't golf
  • Free golf club rental after 2pm - Don 't Golf
  • 10% off Spa Treatments at the Waldorf Astoria Spa - Prices still ridiculous event with 10% off.
  • Unlimited access to in-room local and toll free calls - I have a cell phone.....

So really I paid $35 for 2 bottles of water each day and somewhat high speed internet.
howie411 is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 7:53 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 196
Look for more 'resort' and 'facility' fees - at both resort properties and city properties, especially among the properties, like Bonnet Creek, that were rolled by Hilton into the Park Hotels and Resorts REIT. Park and a number of the analysts following it have specifically (and publicly) identified additional fees as a priority in order to boost its earnings in the short term.
Amelorn likes this.
retiredfromhilton is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 8:50 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 12,664
The resort fees are a rip off. Hilton has lost a lot of our Vegas stays over this. I would rather stay at an HGVC over a casino hotel but it's cheaper to stay at Harrah's properties since they waive it for their diamonds (I'd think Hilton would waive the resort fees in at least Vegas for their diamonds since the competition waives it for their top tiers).

The fee that really pisses me off is the "urban" fee they are charging at some NYC properties.
jamesteroh is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 11:10 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA
Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Glob
Posts: 2,599
Resort fees are waived for a pure award stay (points) at Hilton family hotels. However they are charged when you use C+P. Otherwise they are just extra profit for the hotel that doesn't benefit the HONORS elite members.
Time traveller is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 12:58 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Drammen, Norway
Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 263
Originally Posted by Time traveller View Post
Resort fees are waived for a pure award stay (points) at Hilton family hotels. However they are charged when you use C+P. Otherwise they are just extra profit for the hotel that doesn't benefit the HONORS elite members.
Yes, I noticed that yesterday when I was booking a 3-night stay in Las Vegas. I was planning to use cash+points, but each time I moved the slider to cash, $105 Resort Fee was added. I tested to pay $1 in cash and the rest using points. Still $105 resort fee. So I was forced to use only points. Then the Resort Fee was gone.
runarbg is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 4:28 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,090
Originally Posted by runarbg View Post
Yes, I noticed that yesterday when I was booking a 3-night stay in Las Vegas. I was planning to use cash+points, but each time I moved the slider to cash, $105 Resort Fee was added. I tested to pay $1 in cash and the rest using points. Still $105 resort fee. So I was forced to use only points. Then the Resort Fee was gone.
Count yourself lucky that Honors (for now) doesn't allow resort fees on award stays.

I know it's getting harder and harder to do, but the only way these fees will go away is if the customers stay away because of them.
strickerj and Oxnardjan like this.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 5:49 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ottawa
Programs: IC/RA - Spire, AC E50K, AA, AM-Gold, HH-Diamond, SPG, Choice - Gold
Posts: 1,724
Originally Posted by andset1191 View Post
Doesn’t this just make a complete mockery of the “resort charge”

For an Embassy’s suites to say that the $20 a night covers:
”Honors benefits” - which should be free
Daily newspapers - which should be free
Poolside activities and recreation - uninteresting and should be free
​​​​​​​Drive in movies (probably a typo for dive in movies)
​​​​​​​WiFi - which should be free
Gym - which should be free

​​​​​​​really does take the biscuit.
Just noticed the following notation on my Honors home page below my HH status. WiFi is not free at hotels that charge a resort fee.

FREE PREMIUM WiFi*

As a Diamond member you can enjoy FREE PREMIUM WiFi only when you book direct.

*In-Room WiFi access is not free in meeting spaces and at properties with resort charge.
MXM135 is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 10:58 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 67
I stopped staying at Bonnet Creek and Hilton Orlando over this. I normally stay in Orlando 90 plus nights a year on business and now stay at the HGI by Seaworld instead. It was the insulting fee and also the difficulty in filling in expenses with the added fees and parking that made me say its not worth it anymore. Also as an FYI I have never been upgraded in either Hilton Bonnet Creek or Hilton Orlando in 4 years as a diamond.
Oxnardjan likes this.
jtatlanta is offline  
Old Mar 3, 18, 11:46 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: WN A+/CP, DL Gold, AA Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond, HI Gold, SPG/MC Gold, HY Plat, National EE
Posts: 59
I have specifically not paid a resort fee, even on paid and points&cash stays, at Orlando-area Hilton hotels. Specifically, the Orlando Hilton, Waldorf*Astoria Orlando (Bonnet Creek), Hilton Bonnet Creek, Hilton Lake Buena Vista, and Hilton Buena Vista Palace. I must say that I specifically asked that I was not going to be charged the resort fee as a diamond member on at least two of those visits. I only wished that they waived parking which is now ridiculous at those Disney-area Hilton properties. Between parking and a resort fee, you could be paying an additional $70/night for a room. Paying for parking at a resort, to me, seems inappropriate; it's yet another source of revenue for the resort. If parking fees are there to keep non-guests from using the parking lots, there are other ways to prevent the misuse of those parking lots. I was last at the Hilton Orlando for New Years eve/day celebrations.
strickerj likes this.
geekboy is offline  
Old Mar 4, 18, 2:47 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ATL
Posts: 776
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
The resort fees are a rip off. Hilton has lost a lot of our Vegas stays over this. I would rather stay at an HGVC over a casino hotel but it's cheaper to stay at Harrah's properties since they waive it for their diamonds (I'd think Hilton would waive the resort fees in at least Vegas for their diamonds since the competition waives it for their top tiers).

The fee that really pisses me off is the "urban" fee they are charging at some NYC properties.
I totally agree with you about the "urban destination/resort fee"
Looking at Hotel Resort Fee Lookup Tool, I am blown away at the sheer number of hotels in NYC that charge these fees.
strickerj likes this.
bigbuy is offline  
Old Mar 4, 18, 7:30 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PNS
Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
Posts: 1,284
We had a 5-night stay at Bonnett Creek last year. Paid with points so we didn’t incur the resort fee.

Prior to check-in, we inquired about an upgrade and were denied. They did offer a second, adjoining room for a deeply discounted rate. This would allow are infant and toddler to sleep in a separate room and we could go about our normal routine without disturbing nap time.

We agreed to the second room and paid with points for half of it. The additional room ended up being around $50/day. However, since cash was part of the transaction, we were charged the resort fee. We requested a break from the resort fee due to the room situation and were denied.
aww3583 is offline  
Old Mar 4, 18, 8:19 am
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,372
Fees are here to stay and increasing. Just look at them as part of the quoted room rate and then make a decision as to whether you are willing to pay that amount or not.

If is naive to think that the fees really are apportioned to the items specified, e.g. WiFi, bottled water and clean towels or whatever. Those fees are part of revenue and that is the end of it.

If the fees are disclosed ---- and they almost always are ---- and you choose to stay at a property, the fee is neither deceptive nor a ripoff nor anything other than room rent and nothing more.

Why do properties do this? Because search engines sort by price (unless otherwise changed). Consumers, e.g., the people complaining here, trend to booking to properties closer to the top of the displayed list. So, a $400 room appears before a $450 room. But, add $70 to the $400 room and $0 to the $450 room and which one is cheaper?
Often1 is online now  
Old Mar 4, 18, 8:30 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: TYS
Programs: American Exec Plat Hilton Dia, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec E, Delta Gold,
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Time traveller View Post
Resort fees are waived for a pure award stay (points) at Hilton family hotels. However they are charged when you use C+P. Otherwise they are just extra profit for the hotel that doesn't benefit the HONORS elite members.
Not to argue, but I just stayed at a HGVC last week, in Vegas, and had to pay the resort fee even though I used points for the stay. I asked about this and was told that “everyone pays.”

So, those were the most expensive bottles of waters ever.
EGSExec is offline  
Old Mar 4, 18, 8:46 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,314
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Fees are here to stay and increasing. Just look at them as part of the quoted room rate and then make a decision as to whether you are willing to pay that amount or not.

If is naive to think that the fees really are apportioned to the items specified, e.g. WiFi, bottled water and clean towels or whatever. Those fees are part of revenue and that is the end of it.

If the fees are disclosed ---- and they almost always are ---- and you choose to stay at a property, the fee is neither deceptive nor a ripoff nor anything other than room rent and nothing more.

Why do properties do this? Because search engines sort by price (unless otherwise changed). Consumers, e.g., the people complaining here, trend to booking to properties closer to the top of the displayed list. So, a $400 room appears before a $450 room. But, add $70 to the $400 room and $0 to the $450 room and which one is cheaper?
That's where it is deceptive, when you sort rooms by cost, the "resort fee" should be included, plain and simple. Yes, those in the know will look for additional fees, but deliberately lowering your base room rate to get a better position in the list is an attempt to ripoff nieve customers. How much longer until the room rate is less than half the "resort fee"? Now if they would allow you to choose if you want those resort benefits and basically go a-la carte pricing, that will let them know what people are willing to pay to have available. Elevators are probably more desired than pools.
RogerD408 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread