Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Changing payment method on existing reservation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

I have an international stay coming up this spring booked as three separate reservations (beginning of trip points/cash, then two nights with free weekend night certificates) and used a non-Hilton credit card to reserve the room and incidentals because I booked the trip before they announced that the new Amex card would not have foreign exchange fees. I want to change the paid reservation and any incidentals to my Ascend card, while making sure nothing else is done to change my reservation because standard rooms at the hotel are sold out. Is the best way to do this to just give the hotel my Ascend card when I check in, and ask them to combine the three reservations and use that credit card instead? Or should I change the method of payment for the points/cash reservation through the Hilton website and let them know when I check in to put the incidentals for the certificate nights on there as well? I am planning to email the hotel closer to my trip to ask the three reservations be linked so I won’t have to check in and out again. Thank you for your advice!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ABlue
I have an international stay coming up this spring booked as three separate reservations (beginning of trip points/cash, then two nights with free weekend night certificates) and used a non-Hilton credit card to reserve the room and incidentals because I booked the trip before they announced that the new Amex card would not have foreign exchange fees. I want to change the paid reservation and any incidentals to my Ascend card, while making sure nothing else is done to change my reservation because standard rooms at the hotel are sold out. Is the best way to do this to just give the hotel my Ascend card when I check in, and ask them to combine the three reservations and use that credit card instead? Or should I change the method of payment for the points/cash reservation through the Hilton website and let them know when I check in to put the incidentals for the certificate nights on there as well? I am planning to email the hotel closer to my trip to ask the three reservations be linked so I won’t have to check in and out again. Thank you for your advice!
Should have the ability to change payment method on reservations. I know I've done it on the mobile app but have never tried on the web. That being said when I checked in they still had the old number anyway, so not sure what good it did. Can always call Hilton reservations and they should be able to update it.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
You can logon to HHonors website and modify each reservation; click on the update payment information under each reservation, enter the new credit card info and then click save.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:30 pm

Or just do it during online check in, or when you get to the hotel.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like it doesn’t really matter how/when I change it, then. Will see if online works and make sure they have the new card at check in. Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I have a points+cash reservation including a night which is now sold out. I now have enough points to convert to all points no cash but apparently the lack of availability will block modification of my reservation. Has anyone discovered a work-around?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
I have a points+cash reservation including a night which is now sold out. I now have enough points to convert to all points no cash but apparently the lack of availability will block modification of my reservation. Has anyone discovered a work-around?
Call in to reservations. If they are truly sold out that night though you might be out of luck, as they are likely oversold slightly for the usual no shows and cancelling your reservation will not result in any open availability. They might be able to work some magic around that situation but they would be the ones to talk to. Also a bunch of rules/conditions with reward stays and they might have different buckets of availability for full points, partial points, cash, etc.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:07 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I kept checking the website and a room opened up. The 800 number staff were then able to change my reservation to points only. It seems there is no work-around when the hotel is sold out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.