FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1890498-waldorf-astoria-maldives-ithaafushi-mdv.html)

Buzzflightyear Feb 2, 2023 4:12 am

I'm a big fan of Soneva, i'd pick it hands down over CB any day.

swatkins818 Feb 4, 2023 6:30 am

7 nights just released fyi, 8th night also but doesn't look like they ever released standard rooms on that one

Managed to book all 7 with 2 free night credits and a 5th night free!

mchristie2 Feb 4, 2023 6:41 am

Originally Posted by swatkins818 (Post 34984296)
7 nights just released fyi, 8th night also but doesn't look like they ever released standard booking on that one

Managed to book all 7 with 2 free night credits and a 5th night free!

well done and thanks for heads up. Managed to get 6 nights to run after 6 nights booked previously so total of 12 nights in total 👍👍👍

swatkins818 Feb 4, 2023 6:51 am

Originally Posted by mchristie2 (Post 34984317)
well done and thanks for heads up. Managed to get 6 nights to run after 6 nights booked previously so total of 12 nights in total 👍👍👍

Have 9 total myself but considering cancelling the 1st 2 (on raw points) to pair a full week at another near-ish destination with it. How many nights do people generally think is ideal here and any pairing recommendations? I guess Dubai is an obvious choice, maybe Sydney.. anything else?

yolie Feb 4, 2023 10:15 am

April has lots of availability as well. :)

VG3RMJC2 Feb 4, 2023 11:35 am

Hi all,

I need availability of 1 night from March 7 till 8, I do have the following 4 nights from 8 till 12 booked. Any chances with you guys?

SMVSH Feb 4, 2023 1:05 pm

Have a stay in March. And was wondering what the process is for possible room upgrades. Im reading through this MASSIVE thread and seeing people talk about different lagoons or different rooms facing the city, whats better? I currently have the King Reef Villa with Pool. How can i get an upgrade and what are some tips to get them. I also read someone tipped $200 and some say not necessary. Can your butler get you the upgrade or I thought it was the concierge? Thanks for your help

kemtravelsbetter Feb 4, 2023 6:25 pm

Has anyone celebrated a birthday at WA before? Do they do anything special for birthdays?

alanslegal Feb 5, 2023 1:01 am

Originally Posted by buggylovestravel (Post 34985828)
Has anyone celebrated a birthday at WA before? Do they do anything special for birthdays?

There are two types of guests - one that lets the hotel know there is a special occasion. The second type says nothing and hopes the hotels/resort picks up on subtle clues that there is an occasion and surprises the guest. I am a fan of the latter because I really believe hotels/resorts that can figure out the latter are likely to provide a much higher level of service.

In the hotel I work for, we are expected to know the guests before they even know themselves. Yes, it's kind of cliche, but that's the idea, and we are empowered to do whatever is in our control to deliver above and beyond service.

Back to the question, I have celebrated my birthday twice at this property, and my wife has celebrated once. Being surprised and wow-ed, such as a birthday cake in our villa and champagne, at Zuma, we were given a cake, and at Tasting Table, the waitstaff came round with another cake and sang happy birthday. It is exciting and a bit embarrassing at the same time, especially with the singing. On my wife's birthday, at Yasmeen, she was presented with a nice bottle of champagne. None of this was mentioned, so the likely way of them knowing was picking this up via our passport/guest info, regular FB or IG posts etc. and then sharing it among the various team.

Another time, on Singapore Airlines, I flew on my birthday, and when I woke up from a nap, the ledge next to the TV (77W First class) was prepared with a cake, SQ teddy bear, a birthday card signed by the entire cabin crew and flight deck. Staff came round to wish me a happy birthday for the entire flight. These are the little things that make it unique.

kemtravelsbetter Feb 5, 2023 3:30 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal (Post 34986386)
There are two types of guests - one that lets the hotel know there is a special occasion. The second type says nothing and hopes the hotels/resort picks up on subtle clues that there is an occasion and surprises the guest. I am a fan of the latter because I really believe hotels/resorts that can figure out the latter are likely to provide a much higher level of service.

In the hotel I work for, we are expected to know the guests before they even know themselves. Yes, it's kind of cliche, but that's the idea, and we are empowered to do whatever is in our control to deliver above and beyond service.

Back to the question, I have celebrated my birthday twice at this property, and my wife has celebrated once. Being surprised and wow-ed, such as a birthday cake in our villa and champagne, at Zuma, we were given a cake, and at Tasting Table, the waitstaff came round with another cake and sang happy birthday. It is exciting and a bit embarrassing at the same time, especially with the singing. On my wife's birthday, at Yasmeen, she was presented with a nice bottle of champagne. None of this was mentioned, so the likely way of them knowing was picking this up via our passport/guest info, regular FB or IG posts etc. and then sharing it among the various team.

Another time, on Singapore Airlines, I flew on my birthday, and when I woke up from a nap, the ledge next to the TV (77W First class) was prepared with a cake, SQ teddy bear, a birthday card signed by the entire cabin crew and flight deck. Staff came round to wish me a happy birthday for the entire flight. These are the little things that make it unique.

This is all very helpful. Thank you! I prefer to let the staff know upfront so we could figure out whether its worth it to go for my birthday. We have been trying to decide between that or going for Valentine's Day. We now feel it is more likely to get special accomodations for a birthday (and hopefully a complimentary upgrade)?

Mr407 Feb 5, 2023 6:09 am

Originally Posted by buggylovestravel (Post 34986565)
This is all very helpful. Thank you! I prefer to let the staff know upfront so we could figure out whether its worth it to go for my birthday. We have been trying to decide between that or going for Valentine's Day. We now feel it is more likely to get special accomodations for a birthday (and hopefully a complimentary upgrade)?

Many people go there on their special occasions, so I wouldn’t plan your trip between Birthday vs Valentine’s Day.

Don’t expect an upgrade, the “base” reef villa is going to wow you already. Some upgrades aren’t true upgrade in my opinion as you might be in the 100s overwater villa but you would be very far away from other dining venues.

Upgrade is also depends on the availability and occupancy, if you really wanna get an upgrade just because of it, then go during rainy season, you will probably get one easier due to lower occupancy.

Mr407 Feb 5, 2023 6:09 am

Originally Posted by buggylovestravel (Post 34986565)

Many people go there on their special occasions, so I wouldn’t plan your trip between Birthday vs Valentine’s Day.

Don’t expect an upgrade, the “base” reef villa is going to wow you already. Some upgrades aren’t true upgrade in my opinion as you might be in the 100s overwater villa but you would be very far away from other dining venues.

Upgrade is also depends on the availability and occupancy, if you really wanna get an upgrade just because of it, then go during rainy season, you will probably get one easier due to lower occupancy.

yoyo Feb 5, 2023 7:18 am

Originally Posted by buggylovestravel (Post 34985828)

yeah. you get cakes. I think we got two, one symbolic tiny cake at breakfast and one small personal cake at Li Long.

kemtravelsbetter Feb 5, 2023 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Mr407 (Post 34986771)

well it still sounds like there's some sort of special treatment for birthdays (cake, bed decoration, etc) as opposed to Valentine's Day. we'll be treated just like every other couple on V Day and won't be offered anything. we'll choose the birthday.

najama2 Feb 5, 2023 10:17 am

Is there anywhere on this resort where you can get free sunscreen?