Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton London Paddington {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton London Paddington {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2001, 12:36 am

When I said total re-build, I meant of the inside. The outside shell of the building remains.
Old Oct 27, 2001, 9:46 am

Bringing this subject forward, does anyone know when the Paddington Hilton is going to open?
Old Oct 27, 2001, 10:00 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
When they cancelled my reservation for October, they stated that they would be open Dec 1st.

According to there web site, the new date is 16 January 2002.
Old Oct 27, 2001, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
When I was in Britain in 1997, the area around Paddington Station seemed a little dicey to me. Has it improved since then? Or was my perception not reality?

Aside from the transportation connections to Heathrow and elsewhere, and the accommodations/price offered by the hotel, for me the surrounding neighborhood would be a deciding factor in choosing (or not) this hotel.

Kathy
Old Jan 10, 2002, 1:45 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Hilton Paddington, London to open Jan 2002

Seen in the January edition of “High Life” – the British Airways magazine:-

“When the Paddington Hilton opens on 29th January, five-star traffic stepping off the Heathrow Express should make for this, the grandest of all grand railway hotels. Its Victorian magnificence – lost in the 1930s after a brutal “modernisation” – has been painstakingly recovered with a £60m restoration that pays homage to the past (the magnificent central staircase has finally been shod of the cladding that encased it for decades) but with a more contemporary classic feel. Watch the Notting Hillbillies flock to its hip new destination bar, Steam.”
Old Jan 10, 2002, 1:52 pm

I was thinking of staying there in early February, but the Hilton.com website says that it will not be open until February 25, 2002.
Old Jan 10, 2002, 10:37 pm

Which would be a better choice for a family (daughter 9) who wants to stay in a hotel with a historic look and feel: Paddington or Langham? We have a 6 nights stay reserved at the Langham but now I'm wondering if the new Paddington might be better.
Any thoughts?
Old Jan 12, 2002, 1:43 pm
Original Member

2bgrounded - stick with the Langham, Location is much beter. With a family you will probably enjoy walking from the hotel thru regents park to London Zoo. Even if you don't go in the zoo, some of the animals are visible from the park. Also you can easily walk to Oxford street in a couple of mins. The hotel is lovely anyway with a nice historic and grand feel. Don't bank on lounge access however, the hotel consider 'concierge level' to be a hotel within a hotel vis a ve Waldorf Towers, and don't tend to upgrade to it but give a decent 'normal' room instead.

John - i was planning to book into the paddington as well in Feb. Last week the web was showing Jan 29th, now as you point out its Feb 25th. Guess it will the metropole or Langham instead and I will have to take an extra taxi ride to Paddington to catch the Heathrow express.

[This message has been edited by Tim_T (edited 01-12-2002).]
Old Jan 14, 2002, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did they rename the Hilton Metropole? Or are there going to be 2 Hiltons within a block of each other?
Old Jan 14, 2002, 9:22 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
No they did not.
Yes there will be.

Old Jan 30, 2002, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA Gld 1+MM,UA Exec Prem, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, AMEX Cent
Can't wait till the new Paddington Station Hilton Opens!!

Well, I made the reservations. I'll be there the weekend after it opens. Mar-2 through the 4th. Can't wait! My 1st time to London and my first international trip by myself. So if anyone wants to join me for a drink. Drop me a line. I'm sure you will get a kick out of my Oklahoman accent.

------------------
AA GLD, HYATT GLD PASS, HILTONHHONORS
Old Jan 31, 2002, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Great news for those of us who have a fondness from childhood of a certain little bear who found himself abandoned at this station after a long trip to London from overseas. I trust that the Hilton International will upgrade the shrine to Paddington Bear that has existed between the station and the original hotel [operated in its heyday by the Great Western Railway, a legend in its own right]. Will keep this property in mind on my next trip to London. Please post a follow-up report, SoCrazi. I won't be able to flyin for the opening, still being down in MEL. But thanks for the heads-up. I'm sure some FTers will be happy to join you for a pint.
Old Feb 5, 2002, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
SoCrazi, hope you'll post a trip report when you get back. I'm anxious to hear how this Hilton rates in your book. Have a great trip.
Old Feb 11, 2002, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Gld 1+MM,UA Exec Prem, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, AMEX Cent
Well here's an update. The Paddington Station will not open till mid-March. Which will be several days after my trip. I received an email today after I asked for my reservation to be switched for a few days earlier and 2 days longer. Here's a copy of the letter:

Dear Mr Johnson,

I received your facsimile dated 6th of February in regards to your booking.

First of all we would like to thank you for the interest in our hotel and your
booking.

Unfortunately I could not get hold of you today by phone, as I need to contact
you to advise you the hotel has a delay in opening and won't open it'd doors
until mid March.

As you are holding a reservation in our hotel we sincerely apologise for any
inconvenience this may cause, and we will do our utmost in assisting you to
re-locate your booking. I will contact you on Monday next week to discuss.

Therefore at this stage we are unable to change your booking. Once again, please
accept our apologies, and I will speak to you soon to discuss further details.

Kind regards
Eveline S.
Reservations Manager
Hilton London Paddington

So, I guess I get screwed on my 100 pounds/night and have notived everything is about 80 pounds higher. So, I hope they can find me something at that rate. I will let ya'll know what happens.

Steve J. aka SoCrazi

------------------
AA GLD, HYATT GLD PASS, HILTONHHONORS
Old Feb 12, 2002, 3:26 am

Steve,

You should opt for the Metropole, which is just a stone's throw a way from the Paddington (albeit a rather vigorous stone's throw ).

You should have no problem getting a room at less than £100 and will be upgraded. Email me or do a search on this hotel if you need more details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.