Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: Primarily Hilton & Delta
Yes, only the monthly statement it shows the bonus point sections for U.S. Restaurants, U.S. Supermarkets, etc.. Those have always been correct. The issue is from my current statement (not closed for the month yet). Under the "New Version" tab of the Online Statement review it will now show the total points earned for each transaction when you click on it. All other restaurant, gas station, supermarket charges show the correct "6x points" in the bottom right corner. This specific restaurant charge only shows the "3x points". But it is classified as a restaurant on the charge...
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
question: is it possible to get approved and receive sign up bonus for all three cards?
I currenlty have aspire and the free version, not sure if they will approve me for ascend
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by rcmiller
Yes, only the monthly statement it shows the bonus point sections for U.S. Restaurants, U.S. Supermarkets, etc.. Those have always been correct. The issue is from my current statement (not closed for the month yet). Under the "New Version" tab of the Online Statement review it will now show the total points earned for each transaction when you click on it. All other restaurant, gas station, supermarket charges show the correct "6x points" in the bottom right corner. This specific restaurant charge only shows the "3x points". But it is classified as a restaurant on the charge...
This has been a problem for me also with the amex gold card, and was just written about over at frequentmiler : restos that swipe through square for example often don't get the bonus, despite the correct categorisation
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I must be easily amused, because I found the wording of an American Express e-mail offer hilarious:

You've been specially invited to refer up to two friends to apply for a pre-approved offer for the Hilton Honors Card. Note: approval is not guaranteed.
So ... pre-approved, except not so much.

BTW, the details of the offer, which were e-mailed to me yesterday, are as follows:
You can earn 20,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points when a friend is approved for a Hilton Honors Card, up to 80,000 bonus points for referrals in a year. Plus, your friend can earn 100,000 bonus points after they spend $1,000 in purchases on their new Card in the first three months of Card Membership. To refer this pre-approved offer, click the button below. Offer ends 1/9/2019.
The details don't seem very clear -- If I can only refer two friends, then why is it necessary to have a total limit of 80,000 bonus points per year? It seems like the most I could earn via this offer is 40,000 points.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Yes. Within a day or so (in my case late on the same day when I did the upgrade in the early morning), your online account should update to say you have Aspire. At that point, you can start doing purchases that count toward the minimum spend requirement. (Purchases made before your account shows Aspire online may not count, according to the Amex rep I spoke with right after upgrading.)
Originally Posted by aww3583
Got an email reminder for the current promotion (150k bonus points) to upgrade from Ascend to Aspire.

The upgrade process was 2 steps. The confirmation page didn’t include a confirmation number or any mention of approval; it just said “your cards will arrive in 7-10 days”. I didn’t receive any confirmation email either. I did keep screenshots.
Thanks for the great info everyone! I just logged into my Amex account and the Aspire invitation popped up immediately, I clicked more info and accepted and got the confirmation page, but no number and no email, just as you all did (and I took screenshots). Perhaps by tonite my account info will update, my next Hilton stay isn't until next weekend anyways.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
I got the approval instantly. My account updated quickly.

However, after 4 days, no card, no card number, etc. My wife, an authorized card holder, got a letter from AMEX welcoming her to the card and it said “your spending limit has been set to $0.”

It appears any spending on my existing Surpass/Ascend card will automatically be applied to the new Aspire card so hopefully this will all smooth out soon.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aww3583
I got the approval instantly. My account updated quickly.

However, after 4 days, no card, no card number, etc. My wife, an authorized card holder, got a letter from AMEX welcoming her to the card and it said “your spending limit has been set to $0.”

It appears any spending on my existing Surpass/Ascend card will automatically be applied to the new Aspire card so hopefully this will all smooth out soon.
As soon as your account online shows Aspire, all spend on the existing card is OK. They mail the new card snail mail so it can take a while. Also, I waited to activate the new card until some online purchases on the old had posted, since the new card has a new expiration date and a new security code, and I didn't want any orders that may not have been billed yet to get confused by that.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Anyone else get the lengthy Aspire survey?

Biggest takeaway is that AMEX seems to be gauging customer reaction to replacing the $250 resort credit, possibly with an additional weekend night.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
Originally Posted by xmzzn123
question: is it possible to get approved and receive sign up bonus for all three cards?
I currenlty have aspire and the free version, not sure if they will approve me for ascend
I applied for and received the bonus for all three personal cards, though I actually did the no-fee version last!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
Originally Posted by gengar
Anyone else get the lengthy Aspire survey?

Biggest takeaway is that AMEX seems to be gauging customer reaction to replacing the $250 resort credit, possibly with an additional weekend night.
i seem to get a survey every week on a Barclay American Airlines card I never put any spend on, but didn’t get the Aspire survey. My totally unscientific instinct is that an extra free night would cost more than $250 for most cardholders, so I’d be a bit surprised if this goes through. I’d like the extra night more than the credit, myself.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mike B

i seem to get a survey every week on a Barclay American Airlines card I never put any spend on, but didn’t get the Aspire survey. My totally unscientific instinct is that an extra free night would cost more than $250 for most cardholders, so I’d be a bit surprised if this goes through. I’d like the extra night more than the credit, myself.
Agreed, though some of these resorts are priced quite reasonably, so the $250 resort credit can be stretched to cover 2 nights. However, they definitely aren't always luxurious.

If the extra weekend certificate could be used at the Conrad or Waldorf, it would be extremely easy to get more than $250 in value.

I was able to use my previous free weekend Aspire certificate for a Paris hotel that exceeded 400 euros.

However, I am skeptical, since I am sure Amex is counting on a certain amount of breakage. The weekend certificates would be much easier for the average person to redeem than the $250 resort credit.

Last edited by diesteldorf; Dec 2, 2018 at 8:58 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:34 am

Does anyone have experience with the Aspire $100 credit for a 2-night stay through hiltonhonorsaspirecard.com?
It states that it can't be used for property fees but wondering if that is enforced or not.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Agreed, though some of these resorts are priced quite reasonably, so the $250 resort credit can be stretched to cover 2 nights. However, they definitely aren't always luxurious.

If the extra weekend certificate could be used at the Conrad or Waldorf, it would be extremely easy to get more than $250 in value.

I was able to use my previous free weekend Aspire certificate for a Paris hotel that exceeded 400 euros.

However, I am skeptical, since I am sure Amex is counting on a certain amount of breakage. The weekend certificates would be much easier for the average person to redeem than the $250 resort credit.
Was that the Paris Opera? I was able to use my sign up cert on the Aspire for one night and my Citi free night for a second night during the world cup when rates and a holiday when the rates were over $400EU a night. Was surprised they had standard inventory. I booked it a few days prior to the stay, it was diamond force before that ad I was surprised standard inventory was available.Great use of the cert.

If the inventory is available I'd rather have the free night but a lot of hotels are stingy with inventory when rates are over $250 a night. At least with the Resort credit there is no issue at all using it at those properties and if someone is travelling for business I look at it like cash back. they can just expense off the folio and the resort credit hits their Am Ex card.

A benefit I wish they would add is something like another free weekend night or extra points or increase the resort credit for people who qualify for diamond from stays/nights/points outside of the card.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
A benefit I wish they would add is something like another free weekend night or extra points or increase the resort credit for people who qualify for diamond from stays/nights/points outside of the card.
Hilton already offers milestone bonuses. 10K extra points for every 10 nights, starting at 40 nights, and an extra 30K points at 60 nights. So an extra 60K points if you qualify for Diamond via nights. This is unrelated to the card.

Hilton also added status gifting - a 60 night Diamond can gift Gold, and a 100 night Diamond can gift Diamond.

Last edited by jbeckett; Dec 3, 2018 at 2:50 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Can’t help yet but should be able to soon. Passed the spend thresholds on the 11th and 13th and statement closed on the 16th. Points from statement posted today, but no bonus yet.
Points for my bonuses arrived today, so roughly 3 weeks after the spend/statement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.