Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Nice Hilton Hotels in Los Angeles area or near the Grand Canyon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Los Angeles area or near the Grand Canyon. We're a family of 3. Two adults one child. Not sure where we would be going so hoping to give ideas of Hotels for either location.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Los Angeles area is very big. While there aren't all that many hotels in the Grand Canyon area.

And do you mean Hilton brand hotels, or any hotels in the Hilton Honors family?

And what HH status, if any, do you have?

And do you care what you pay, or not?

Thanks.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Hilton Honor silver status (I believe ). But Hilton Honor. I guess for L A would be more Santa Monica but also looking to visit Beverly Hills.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
You have to be more specific. The greater LA area is huge. Like a two hour drive without traffic from one end to the other.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ptownca
... Like a two hour drive without traffic from one end to the other.
Meaning only if you travel between 12 and 5 am..

there are options in BH, thete is DT in santa monica. Hilton hintington beach is quite nice.
All are overpriced on points imho unless its high season...
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Hilton Honor silver status (I believe ). But Hilton Honor. I guess for L A would be more Santa Monica but also looking to visit Beverly Hills.
Oh, I just realized, you also haven't explained if you'll have a car. If so, you have to factor in parking too at most hotels in the area you're talking about.

And Silver status will not get you much. So while a Hampton or Embassy or Homewood will give you free breakfast, you'll be paying for breakfast at Hilton, DoubleTree, HGI, etc.

Anyway, you may have to choose between "nice" location and decent cost.

For decent cost (and "nice" other than location) there might be some LAX area properties that would work (El Segundo, etc), or across the Sepulveda Pass in the (San Fernando) Valley. For both of those locations you'd definitely need a car.

But between Santa Monica and Beverly Hills, you'll pay through the roof whether you're using points or cash.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
Hilton hintington beach is quite nice.
Love that hotel. (Waterfront Beach Resort) It's been my spot for the Citi Reserve certificate(s) for a couple years running now.

DT Dana Point / Doheny Beach is a funky little hotel that can sometimes be had at a reasonable rate. 5 minute walk to the beach, and you have to allow me to call Dana Point part of "the LA area".

The OP's route *could* take her through Palm Springs, where there is an excellent W=A property (La Quinta).

Beverly Hills and Santa Monica certainly have lots of options. Never stayed in those areas...

On the GC end you're probably looking at Flagstaff or perhaps a roadside Hampton Inn. We spent a night at one of the National Parks hotels at the rim and enjoyed it...that's what I'd recommend for a trip there, even though it means leaving our beloved points and status briefly behind.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:19 pm

I think you have to stay with Flagstaff if you want the south rim of the Canyon. There is an Embassy Suites there that was quite nice when I went a few years back. You're looking at about a 60-90 minute drive to the park from there.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:17 pm

In Flagstaff, I found the DoubleTree to have a bit more personality. I spent a nice Christmas there in 2016; it's an okay city, with some "local" places among many chains. The other nearby property that is quite nice is the Hilton in Sedona. Sedona, the city, is one of those like it or hate it places; I think more "like", so I am in the minority. It is more "homey", with abundant "local" stuff.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
In Flagstaff, I found the DoubleTree to have a bit more personality. I spent a nice Christmas there in 2016; it's an okay city, with some "local" places among many chains. The other nearby property that is quite nice is the Hilton in Sedona. Sedona, the city, is one of those like it or hate it places; I think more "like", so I am in the minority. It is more "homey", with abundant "local" stuff.
Fantastic hiking around Sedona. ^ I love that part of the state...even though the kitschy bits of Sedona itself aren't my thing.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:00 am

Universal City Hilton. Right across the street from Universal Studios, take the family and have a fun day over there. Also, you can walk to the metro station and have access to Hollywood and other areas... maybe as far out as the beach? The walk probably shouldn't take more then 5 to 10 minutes, it's a somewhat steep hill, but sidewalks all the way and it's not that long of a distance, just tossing out that time because it is a hill.

It's a nice hotel, well staffed at all hours, and reasonably affordable, I think I paid ~$284/night after taxes last week for a two queen (double maybe? I think they were queen though) room.

Edit: You can probably check out the walk down the hill from the Hilton to the metro station on Google Street View to get an idea if it's something you and your family could do and also get an idea of how safe it looks... I've never worried about walking in this specific area and during the day there's trams going up and down the hill all day long for Universal Studios with lots of tourists, so it's a pretty clean area.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Oh, I just realized, you also haven't explained if you'll have a car. If so, you have to factor in parking too at most hotels in the area you're talking about.

And Silver status will not get you much. So while a Hampton or Embassy or Homewood will give you free breakfast, you'll be paying for breakfast at Hilton, DoubleTree, HGI, etc.

Anyway, you may have to choose between "nice" location and decent cost.

For decent cost (and "nice" other than location) there might be some LAX area properties that would work (El Segundo, etc), or across the Sepulveda Pass in the (San Fernando) Valley. For both of those locations you'd definitely need a car.

But between Santa Monica and Beverly Hills, you'll pay through the roof whether you're using points or cash.
Agree with all of the above.

That said, I do like the Beverly Hilton for its old school kind of glamour and I like the decor of the rooms. The amenities are not standard Hilton and the four times I stayed there, I was treated really well as a Diamond. I was content with a corporate rate less than $350 during high season.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Originally Posted by pinniped
Fantastic hiking around Sedona. ^ I love that part of the state...even though the kitschy bits of Sedona itself aren't my thing.
Another vote for Sedona. We spent a few days of a family vacation at the Hilton Sedona a few years ago, which included a drive to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Sedona, hotel and city, was great.

^
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Sorry didn't realize all the responses. I actually thought this part (La ) was taken care of because I booked a Holiday Inn Express in L.A. (using IHG Points ) but was told not to stay there....So now back to square one. Will definitely check out the Universal City Hilton before i check out something IHG ones again
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:10 am

I've enjoyed the DoubleTree in El Segundo. Near the airport, if that is a plus for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.