Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Diamond member suite upgrade issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Accor Classic, and EVA Silver

I have stayed in one of the Hilton hotels in Thailand. It was the end of low season and start of high season. The hotel was half empty! I booked the second best suite and hoped to get upgarde to their best suite. When I checked in I asked for the upgrade. The person at the reception in the club floor just told me even a Diamond member booked the second best suite would not get the upgarde to the best suite! So, after I checked out. The hotel ask me to fill out a survey. I just put whatever the person told me on there. Then, the hotel manager reply back and said their best suites were not available! I sent a reply back to him and told him the suites were available because I checked using the Hilton app before I checked in. He didn't even bother to reply me back!

Do any of Diamond members here have similar situation? Anyone knows about Hilton's policy about the suites upgarde?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:57 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by wingnewaddress
Do any of Diamond members here have similar situation? Anyone knows about Hilton's policy about the suites upgarde?
Yes it reads very clear to me being as a "Space-available upgrade to a preferred room". If the Presidential Suite is considered a preferred room, consider me staying there right now
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
You.cannot compel them to give you a better room/suite just because it is bookable for cash. Also IIRC the HH language excludes suites from Diamond upgrades (though many properties will include them.)

It is interesting to note that HH views the upgrade feature of Diamond status as so insignificant as to not warrant mention in the balloon/bullet write up of each of the status levels on the app.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: WN A+/CP, DL Gold, AA Platinum, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marr Lifetime Gold, National EE, AVIS President
Many of the hotels, especially the Hilton branded hotels, will not upgrade to the Presidential Suite unless it's related to a service issue. I too had the same experience with a Hilton which, like the original poster, told me that the presidential suite was not available and that they were sold out. After I did not get my room until near Midnight, they did give me the Presidential Suite. When I asked the Director and GM the next morning, they told me in no uncertain terms that the Presidential Suite was in fact available at the time and that it's not on the upgrade availability list. I asked them only to be honest to their guests (diamond or otherwise) when inquiring about such an upgrade.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's not realistic to expect a property to upgrade you to the Presidential suite. That's true in any program. Might a hotel do it? Sure it might, but it's never obliged to, and it's not a reason to get upset if they don't.

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
IIRC the HH language excludes suites from Diamond upgrades (though many properties will include them.)
It specifically includes them.

Diamond Hilton Honors Members will receive upgrades to preferred rooms, based on availability at the time of arrival (excludes Napua Tower at Grand Wailea and Imperial Floor at Rome Cavalieri). Upgrades for Diamond Hilton Honors Members may include upgrades up to “junior”, “standard” or “one-bedroom” suites.
Note the "may" though which makes this totally discretionary.
KENNECTED likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Accor Classic, and EVA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not realistic to expect a property to upgrade you to the Presidential suite. That's true in any program. Might a hotel do it? Sure it might, but it's never obliged to, and it's not a reason to get upset if they don't.

I was not upset. I have been Diamond member for only a year. I really don't know their suites upgrade policy.

The suite I booked was a one bedroom Executive suite. The suite I hoped to get upgrade to was not a Presidential suite but a "grand suite". After that time and BMs here explained to me, I don't think I will waste my money to do the same thing!

It seems Accor have better suite upgarde policy. I had been Accor Plus Platinum member. I got upgarded to their Imperial suites numbers of time.

Last edited by wingnewaddress; Sep 18, 2017 at 9:23 am
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geekboy
I asked them only to be honest to their guests (diamond or otherwise) when inquiring about such an upgrade.

Agree! The manager could have reply back to me to explain their policy rather than just said "not available"!
DiverDave likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:26 am

I have been Diamond member for only a year. I really don't know their suites upgrade policy.
You have only yourself to blame for that.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
You have only yourself to blame for that.
No need to blame myself. I was just asking!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by geekboy
Many of the hotels, especially the Hilton branded hotels, will not upgrade to the Presidential Suite unless it's related to a service issue. I too had the same experience with a Hilton which, like the original poster, told me that the presidential suite was not available and that they were sold out. After I did not get my room until near Midnight, they did give me the Presidential Suite. When I asked the Director and GM the next morning, they told me in no uncertain terms that the Presidential Suite was in fact available at the time and that it's not on the upgrade availability list. I asked them only to be honest to their guests (diamond or otherwise) when inquiring about such an upgrade.
This is, frankly, a major issue I have had with Hilton systemwide - individual "white lies" that taken on a frequent basis (I am coming up for my 90th night in 2017) become a significant point of contention.

I tend to book anywhere from 45 minutes to 48 hours before arrival. I have a very good idea of available inventory from what is available for sale (cash and/or points) from what the website tells me. I also know from the "my custom upgrade feature".

Being told by an eminently chipper agent that no, we sold out of our high floor, superior, and deluxe king rooms (in the last 36 hours; never mind the suite) is frankly insulting.

My upgrade rate on those 90 days this year is rather pathetic. I am only sorry that I didn't start booking (sometimes significantly) discounted MVP/AAA rates earlier.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
I have stayed in one of the Hilton hotels in Thailand. It was the end of low season and start of high season. The hotel was half empty! I booked the second best suite and hoped to get upgarde to their best suite. When I checked in I asked for the upgrade. The person at the reception in the club floor just told me even a Diamond member booked the second best suite would not get the upgarde to the best suite! So, after I checked out. The hotel ask me to fill out a survey. I just put whatever the person told me on there. Then, the hotel manager reply back and said their best suites were not available! I sent a reply back to him and told him the suites were available because I checked using the Hilton app before I checked in. He didn't even bother to reply me back!

Yes, I have had that issue. Immediately ask for the hotel manager and explain the situation politely and without hostility...usually works wonders.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Of course the Presidential suite is available! The President owns his own chain of hotels and is staying there, not at the Hilton...
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
At Waldorf AstoriaŽ Hotels & Resorts, ConradŽ Hotels & Resorts, Canopy™ by Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Curio - A Collection by Hilton and DoubleTree by Hilton™ and Tapestry Collection by Hilton™ properties, Diamond Hilton Honors Members will receive upgrades to preferred rooms, based on availability at the time of arrival (excludes Napua Tower at Grand Wailea and Imperial Floor at Rome Cavalieri). Upgrades for Diamond Hilton Honors Members may include upgrades up to “junior”, “standard” or “one-bedroom” suites. Upgrades may also be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors Upgrades. Upgrades exclude executive suites, villas and specialty accommodations (which may include, but not limited to, "Vista" and "Villa" accommodation types), subject to the discretion of the hotel.

Anyone knows about Hilton's policy about the suites upgarde?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:39 am

Diamond and Gold upgrades are on a 'space-available' basis. Simply because a rooms or suites appear to be empty on Hilton's app does not mean they are available for complimentary upgrade. They may be being held for hoped-for last minute arrivals. Or the hotel may simply wish not to make certain room or suites types eligible for complimentary upgrade or to make those rooms available only as case-by case basis. If a property chooses not to make certain suites available for complimentary upgrades, then they are, by definition, unavailable.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
Diamond and Gold upgrades are on a 'space-available' basis. Simply because a rooms or suites appear to be empty on Hilton's app does not mean they are available for complimentary upgrade. They may be being held for hoped-for last minute arrivals. Or the hotel may simply wish not to make certain room or suites types eligible for complimentary upgrade or to make those rooms available only as case-by case basis. If a property chooses not to make certain suites available for complimentary upgrades, then they are, by definition, unavailable.
Forgive me if this logic/justification seems circular and decidedly for the benefit of the property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.