Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Q: Cost effective way to get 20k HH points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:29 am
Original Poster

We would like to use HH points for 2 nights stay at a Hilton property - cost 50K each night or US$400 (taxes included). Hubby has got 80K HH points in his account, so we are short 20K points for the 2 nights booking.

Q: What is the most cost effective way to get 20K HH points from other program transfers? We have amex points but not sure whether transfer can be done and the ratio. Buying HH points without bonus is not an option for us. Or, redeem one night and pay cash for the other night?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by A1pax
We have amex points but not sure whether transfer can be done and the ratio.
Ask Amex???
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Ask Amex???
Just looked up website and the ratio is 1MR = 2HH points, so not that great. Will forget that idea and look at other options.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
where are you based?
In the UK, I'm finding that Tesco to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club to HH is good value.

Remember, you can use Points + Cash for an room that is available for Points

Last edited by gallagher; Sep 7, 2017 at 6:56 am
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gallagher
where are you based?
In the UK, I'm finding that Tesco to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club to HH is good value.

Remember, you can use Points + Cash for an room that is available for Points
Am in London. I have got very few Tesco points.
Checked Points+Cash for the particular hotel and the dates, and nothing showed for P+C, only points 50K or cash USD 400 (including taxes).
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by A1pax
Am in London. I have got very few Tesco points.
Checked Points+Cash for the particular hotel and the dates, and nothing showed for P+C, only points 50K or cash USD 400 (including taxes).
I'm pretty sure you can always use P+C, it's just a real pain to find as you have to go most of the way through the booking process until you get to the option of the P+C slider.

The old good-value P+C is long gone...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:04 am
Original Poster

deleted - duplicate reply.

Last edited by A1pax; Sep 7, 2017 at 8:05 am Reason: duplicate post
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:05 am

Now points and cash does not show up as a separate option. You just select points or cash and on the page were you choose payment there's a slider to select how many points you want to use.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yllanes
Now points and cash does not show up as a separate option. You just select points or cash and on the page were you choose payment there's a slider to select how many points you want to use.
Thanks, Yllanes. You are correct. I did not know that I had to do the dummy booking till the very end of the process - just before the payment, then the slider appeared to allow me to choose the number of points and the cash amount was calculated. So, I played around the numbers to see the different combinations.

Thanks to everyone who mentioned P+C. I had forgotten about it, so had to refresh a bit. Now this looked like a real option for us.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Unfortunately the new P&C scheme gives relatively poor value against the paid rate. You should use 50k points for one night, and then your remaining 30k points will likely generate ~$100 in credit against the $400 paid rate for the second night, leaving you out of pocket $300. That makes the marginal value to be extracted from the 20k points you seek to be an impressive $0.015 (to get to 50k points for the second night award.)
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Hilton sells points for 1 cent apiece (and occasionally even cheaper). Given pauleeepaul's analysis, it would be better to buy the 20000 points for $200, rather than using the points and cash rate for the second night.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:30 pm

I guess I was reading that it was $400 for both nights. If it is $400 each night, then that's a great redemption value and good value even to transfer from MR (since they would be getting approx. $300 from a 10000 MR transfer).
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbeckett
Hilton sells points for 1 cent apiece (and occasionally even cheaper). Given pauleeepaul's analysis, it would be better to buy the 20000 points for $200, rather than using the points and cash rate for the second night.
You are correct. When I did the dummy booking, I can use the slider to see how much extra cash to pay for certain number of points used. Since we are short 20K points Hilton quoted USD200 to buy those points. However, if we used 79K points (that's all hubby has got) then the extra cash to pay will be USD171. So, it is better to pay the extra cash?

However, Yllanes suggested better value maybe had with MR transfer. For 10K MR points we will get 20K HH points - saving us the cash.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:25 pm

79k+$171 is much better than buying the missing points (not only cheaper, but you will get points based on the cash part of the booking, so the net cost is less than those $171 and of course you can cancel a booking but not the purchase of points).

In this case, I think transferring the 10k MR points is also good value, but of course that's very personal and depends on the opportunities you normally have both to generate and spend those MR points.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Sign up for the Hilton Barclaycard and if you can hit the spend target soon enough for your trip you can get the free night voucher which would pay for one night.

Very cost effective as it will be free if the timing works out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.