Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Charging a deposit on flexible rates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond

Ever since the new 48 hour cancellation policy most of the hotels are now wanting to charge half to my cc as a deposit. This is going to make my expense report a pain as each hotel is now going to have to be expensed twice. If I'm staying the next week or so I can just do it once but I can't float thousands of dollars for several months when I'm booking far out for conventions or other events. Most likely this will cause me to book last minute and could push me to a different chain based on current price. Very frustrating!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Rental Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by mike2003242
Ever since the new 48 hour cancellation policy most of the hotels are now wanting to charge half to my cc as a deposit. This is going to make my expense report a pain as each hotel is now going to have to be expensed twice. If I'm staying the next week or so I can just do it once but I can't float thousands of dollars for several months when I'm booking far out for conventions or other events. Most likely this will cause me to book last minute and could push me to a different chain based on current price. Very frustrating!
Are these prepaid rates? I've got about 30+ upcoming stays booked on flexible-cancel-able rates, and none have charged a deposit.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

It only started about a week ago, these are not prepaid rates. It's not happening everywhere. I was looking at some rooms in Vegas for December and it was charging 50% as a deposit that posted to my card. However, my room at the Hilton ORD is not charging a deposit...
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is becoming common.

It doesn't change the result, the rate is still flexible and, if you cancel within the deadline, your deposit is refunded.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:50 pm

These types of deposits are location-specific. They are done by hotels to stop people from making speculative reservations that hold inventory. Typically, you'll see this happen in locations with lots of leisure travelers. Places like Las Vegas and Orlando.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Stay in Hiltons 30+ nights per year for the past few years. Have only had one property do this, Hilton Barbados.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
It is becoming common.

It doesn't change the result, the rate is still flexible and, if you cancel within the deadline, your deposit is refunded.
It does if you live outside of USA and use card in different currency. You may lose or gain on exchange rate and may be also charged exchange fees.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
It does if you live outside of USA and use card in different currency. You may lose or gain on exchange rate and may be also charged exchange fees.
No different than a US resident booking a non-$ rate overseas as well.

Exchange rates are not ordinarily a major issue unless the booking is a very long time in advance and for a fabulous amount of money. As to fees, I would never use a card with exchange fees for a non-US booking.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:41 am

But wasn't it introduced in USA so far? I would certainly not going to book a few different hotels and decide later on my next USA visit.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It can be a pain to get a refund of the deposit when you cancel within the rules. Also, some hotels do not do a good job (deliberately?) of crediting advanced deposits to the final bill. Overall, if the hotel takes a deposit, you need to watch the bill and your credit card carefully. It adds an additional layer of hassle for the guest.

I've also seen hotels demand the deposit by check (so that you lose credit card consumer protection rules about disputes, plus it can be a hassle to mail the check to them and get it credited to the correct reservation) or only allow certain credit cards (not AmEx) for the deposit.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:25 am

I'm booking far out for conventions or other events.
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
They are done by hotels to stop people from making speculative reservations that hold inventory.
This is your issue right here...it's situational, not systemic...you're booking for big events that are going to sell out whole cities and properties want their $. The rules go out the window for these large events. Read the threads about Super Bowl bookings...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:45 am

One more thing, sometimes rates go down and I rebook the room at lower rate. That could cause extra mess with payment too.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
This is your issue right here...it's situational, not systemic...you're booking for big events that are going to sell out whole cities and properties want their $. The rules go out the window for these large events. Read the threads about Super Bowl bookings...
Neither were large conventions, prices and availability was not an issue. I'm well aware of what the superbowl does. I live in Houston and it jacked up all the prices for flights as well. There was zero F availability on UA from houston to newark the Monday after the game about a month out!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:12 am

Neither were large conventions, prices and availability was not an issue. I'm well aware of what the superbowl does. I live in Houston and it jacked up all the prices for flights as well. There was zero F availability on UA from houston to newark the Monday after the game about a month out!
Can you share the cities in which you have this issue? As I noted earlier, it's not just for events. In some local markets, deposits are the norm. Additionally, they have been the norm for far longer than the change to move the cancelation deadline to 48 hours.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:40 pm

Neither were large conventions
Well, your OP was the one that specifically mentioned "conventions or other events", so sorry if I "misread" that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.