Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lifetime Diamond Status with HHonors is now reality. ^

More recent information posted by Lauren (Hilton Honors Representative) reflects changes in the Honors Lifetime Diamond qualifying criteria:

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

A few months ago, we received some great feedback in the Q&A thread with our VP of Hilton HHonors, Aaron Glick. While the team explores a number of initiatives, one area that we could change quickly was our Lifetime Diamond qualifications. As of January 2017, we will grant Lifetime Diamond to all members who have met the following criteria:

• Members who have maintained Diamond status for at least 10 years (years do not need to be consecutive)

AND

• Have stayed at least 1,000 nights - either paid or reward (as you may know, only paid nights were eligible before)

OR

• Have accumulated 2 million Base Points since joining the Hilton HHonors program (this is a new feature to enable more members to enjoy Lifetime Diamond status; also as a reminder, only Base Points are eligible...Bonus Points earned via promotions, co-brand credit cards, or other means do not count towards status)

So now, there will be essentially two ways you can qualify for Lifetime Diamond:
1. 10 years at Diamond with Hilton HHonors + 1,000 nights (including paid and reward)
2. 10 years at Diamond + 2 million cumulative Base Points

An email notification will go out in February to members who have qualified for Lifetime Diamond as of December 31, 2016. If you want a sneak peek to find out if you will qualify, you can contact the Diamond Desk and the team will be happy to help.

Please reach out with any questions or comments, and I’ll be sure to share them directly with Aaron and team.

Thank you!
Lauren
Previous:

Details for the first inductees were announced on the 11th Feb. 2015. Erin (HHonors Rep here on FT) posted the announcement shortly before the emails were sent out to members on the same day.

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for your patience as I gathered more details on our Lifetime Diamond rollout. As we’re in the New Year, I have some additional details to share with you.

Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:
  • Have maintained Diamond Status for at least 10 years (consecutive or concurrent) and
  • Completed paid stays totaling at least 1,000 nights
Members that met this criteria as of December 31, 2014 will be notified via email and receive their Lifetime Diamond Status in the mail at the physical address on their account at the end of February. Members that meet Lifetime Diamond Status criteria in the middle of the year will receive Lifetime Diamond Status at the beginning of the following year.

Please note that we are in early stages of this benefit, which means that elements of this offering may evolve and may change over time. As I hear of any updates, I will be sure to share those here.

As always, your input is truly valued and we welcome your thoughts and feedback during this launch period. We’re here and listening!

Thanks,
Erin
[B]Initially, Lifetime Diamond Status will go to a select group of members who met all of the following criteria as of December 31, 2014:

All paid stays count — not just the paid stays during the years a member is a Hilton HHonors diamond.

As more information becomes available it will be added here. Should you have any updates please post them in the thread or in this wiki to keep the most pertinent info quickly available to those interested.

For those interested, the development unfolded as follows:

Erin, the HHonors rep on FT posted the following on 16/12/2014: (after some eagle eyed attention by adambrock from an email sent out by Hilton and which he thankfully posted here on FT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...tus-email.html Kudos to adambrock for noticing and sharing it with the community. ^)

HHonorsRepresentative (Erin) wrote in that thread:

In 2015, HHonors will begin introducing Lifetime Diamond Status! As you may know, we’re always looking for new ways to reward you and we take into consideration your feedback on ways to recognize our most loyal members. Over the past several years, we’ve heard from you that Lifetime Diamond Status is important to you and I’m thrilled to announce that we will be inviting some of our most tenured Diamond members into this status.

I’ll have more details for you in early 2015 and I understand our first Lifetime Diamond members will receive their invitations in the early part of 2015. At this time, this is all the information I have on Lifetime Diamond Status, but I will do my best to keep you all updated as I hear more!

levman wrote in a post on Jan 24:

The best source of info I've found is the email address [email protected]. It seems to be staffed with people dedicated to the Lifetime Diamond program.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
The purpose of any loyalty program is to divert existing spending from a competitor and drive future spending within the program. If you've stayed 1000 nights with Hilton (which I have and am lifetime diamond) - they are already achieving those two goals and Hilton has no obligation, and probably little incentive to provide anything else to most people who have landed in one program and would not get ancillary benefits with a second program.
Yes - this site is all about how to game systems and get the most for the least, but when you are getting something where you could be getting nothing, maybe you should think about smiling weakly and getting what you get instead of feeling entitled to more.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by trlaura
Okay, but back to my question. What are you supposed to do with the card? In all my stays, no one has ever asked to see an HH card. I just put it in a drawer with all my other cards. The headphones are still in the box, not sure why anyone would use them vs. ear buds. I used the gift card. Tried to give them away at work but no takers.

However, I never got the 100K points. Now that is a nice gift I could use.
I agree. Kind of funny as the card is actually pretty nice. However, it is heavy in my wallet. I have also never had anyone ask to see my Honors card. Number is always in the reservation before I got there. I guess If i were to do a walk in to a hotel with no notice needing a room I could give it to them to look up my information quickly.....however, who does not know there number by memory at this point, I can rattle it off faster than my phone number
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:19 am

LT membership is THE ultimate gift... .... ... ... ... ...
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by PayItForward
LT membership is THE ultimate gift... .... ... ... ... ...
Still struggling to call this a "gift". I think it is more of a "Perk". I think it is nice that it is available but after spending over 1000 nights and hundreds of thousands of dollars with Hilton, I am not sure having it is a gift
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:43 am

75k points is $375 USD, not $100. obviously you wouldn't choose the gift card

you also get the benefits of special treatment at hotels because of lifetime diamond showing

so how much do you think is enough? $1000 usd?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mingzie
you also get the benefits of special treatment at hotels because of lifetime diamond showing
If the individual hotel so chooses. There are no extra stay benefits for being lifetime. It is just Diamond. Now there are reports of some hotels going above and beyond when they see lifetime, but there is no requirement for them to do so. I could see a hotel going above and beyond if a good portion of those qualifying nights were at that hotel. But if you are lifetime and it is your first time at that hotel they really may not be willing to give you anything extra.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
If the individual hotel so chooses. There are no extra stay benefits for being lifetime. It is just Diamond. Now there are reports of some hotels going above and beyond when they see lifetime, but there is no requirement for them to do so. I could see a hotel going above and beyond if a good portion of those qualifying nights were at that hotel. But if you are lifetime and it is your first time at that hotel they really may not be willing to give you anything extra.
never claimed otherwise
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

never claimed otherwise
Could easily be interpreted that you did based on the sentence I quoted from you.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:26 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
he had enough points and miles to fly to Hawaii with his family and stay the the Hilton Hawaiian village for 6 days for free and was also HH Diamond.
Try staying at Waikaloa Village for points these days. I have well over half a million points and can find no points availability whenever I look for it.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:56 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
At 5 different properties, after being thanked for being a Diamond, I've asked them if that's how my my status is designated. In all cases I was told yes and on 2 occasions, shown the screen. I had a couple of very chatty gals who then went on a search for my LD designation. It wasn't until they drilled down into another screen that it showed up. From my experience, the front desk folk don't know if I'm LD. Not that I deserve, expect or are entitled to anything as a result of the status as just having it is the real gift
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Tomphot
At 5 different properties, after being thanked for being a Diamond, I've asked them if that's how my my status is designated. In all cases I was told yes and on 2 occasions, shown the screen. I had a couple of very chatty gals who then went on a search for my LD designation. It wasn't until they drilled down into another screen that it showed up. From my experience, the front desk folk don't know if I'm LD. Not that I deserve, expect or are entitled to anything as a result of the status as just having it is the real gift
I guess this would make showing the metal card at checkin worth it I guess
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by 1P
Try staying at Waikaloa Village for points these days. I have well over half a million points and can find no points availability whenever I look for it.
Since you responded to my post I am happy to reply, not looking to take this off topic. What you quoted played a big part of what motivated me to sign up for the program - that is all.

There were some outsizesd point redemption that do not exist today, no question. Same goes for airline miles. The programs change constantly. It is up to each of us to regularly re-evaluate what programs if any make sense for our travel patterns to funnel our money or that of our employer to for future travel.

I "think" there is universal agreement on FT that the hotel and airline programs have devalued the use of miles and points for us over the years, however this thread is about dissatisfaction of the HH Lifetime package that did not exist before a couple years ago.

The LT benefit is a good thing in the minds of some of us, since it helps counter in some part the negative in points redemption and will work to keep some of us loyal to the brand after our crazy travel patterns slow down or stop.

Some think it falls short of what should of been rolled out or getting a LTD luggage tag instead of headphones is a disappointment enough to have a thread on it.

The LTD status did not exist when any of us who currently qualify for this status started spending many a nights and stays to this family of hotels.

So at least from my line of thinking this is a big up-check to the things we do not like about the changes, such as point devalue, loss of AXON rewards, etc. I am appreciative of the HH LTD tokens of appreciation sent to me, which is all it was meant to be IMHO.

Last edited by isle-hawg; Aug 5, 2017 at 10:59 am
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:23 pm

Have yet to be thanked for my LTD, only Diamond. Haven't gotten anything extra, but this year have been mostly staying at a hotel where management is really cheap.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:53 am

Lifetime Diamond

I received my Hilton package over the weekend and though it was quite impressive, it only contained my new metal LT Diamond card and a leather ID tag. It also contained a card showing my accrued points and nights. What I didn't receive was a letter offering me any additional gifts like those mentioned previously. Will this notification come later?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:55 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by cscotto
I received my Hilton package over the weekend and though it was quite impressive, it only contained my new metal LT Diamond card and a leather ID tag. It also contained a card showing my accrued points and nights. What I didn't receive was a letter offering me any additional gifts like those mentioned previously. Will this notification come later?
The code number and site address is on the big card that was in the box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.