Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How long before Hilton follows Marriott's 72hr cancellation policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exree
Now that you started a thread "suggesting" it to Hilton (any thread in the Hilton forum is easy for Hilton people to find), much sooner than if you hadn't started this thread.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Zoltan looks into crystal ball and says.....
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I just went and printed out all my upcoming reservations, all of which except 2 were for one day prior, and the ones that weren't I knew about when I booked.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Hilton hasn't publicly reacted yet as far as I know. Wonder if they're weighing how much business they can poach from Marriott if they hold back or maybe just wait and see?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott hasn't announced a 72 hr cancellation policy. It turns out they've only announced a 48 hr policy, but some hotels in some cities have 72 hr (and some people are saying some of those cities already had 72 hrs long before this). See this thread in the Marriott forum for the latest details:
including post 54 which has the CNN Money link and some quotes from it, about Marriott's statements about it being an "at least" 48 hour policy, and post 53 about how 72 hour cancellation has been in effect in a couple cities for some time now.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Hopefully they won't. I really wouldn't have a problem with it if they would also follow Marriott's 4 p.m. checkout for top tiers
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
They will lose business if they try.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jun 18, 2017 at 7:45 am
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
Hilton lead the charge: they switched to a 24-hr cancellation policy about two years ago. We all complained bitterly about it. We all still stay at Hiltons.

Neil
I only stay occasionally now. Most of my stays have switched to IHG because of this.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:00 am

People complain non-stop about how Hilton needs to match Marriott's policies. Otherwise, Hilton will lose tons of business and no one will want to stay there anymore.

Of course, I'm talking in reference to late checkouts. I guess maybe people should relax about certain issues, because if Hilton needs to match Marriott's policies on everything, that match isn't always a good thing.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
People complain non-stop about how Hilton needs to match Marriott's policies. Otherwise, Hilton will lose tons of business and no one will want to stay there anymore.

Of course, I'm talking in reference to late checkouts. I guess maybe people should relax about certain issues, because if Hilton needs to match Marriott's policies on everything, that match isn't always a good thing.
I posted earlier in this thread that I wouldn't have an issue with Hilton doin this if they would match Marriott's policy with the 4 p.m. checkout.

Unfortunately with Hilton when there is a change in benefits usually Hilton is the first to make the change if it's a devaluation (I'm surprised Marriott beat them to this one) and the last to make a change if it increases value to the member (they were the last to give out premium Wifi for free to top tiers, lack behing Hyatt for guaranteed late check out, breakfast benefits for diamonds and suite upgrades).

This policy won't have much impact on me since most of my clients never cancel at the last minute but for people in some fields it will.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:25 am

Here's your answer: August 1, 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/b...-cost-you.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.