Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The problem with the Hilton certificate is that there has to be a standard room rate available but I've always had good luck calling the diamond desk.
Bingo. That's the rub, at least for those of us who are not Diamond. I find HHonors properties often play games with "standard" inventory whereas I rarely encounter that issue with SPG or Hyatt.

Though could probably justify $95 for Gold + free night.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I received the letter from Am Ex today my account was being converted.

But there was language on page one that made it sound like there is no guarantee it will be converted. It says if my account is ineligible or closed it may not be transferred. I wonder if that is to protect Am Ex if an account is on their blacklist or someone has a lot of credit with am ex. It will be nice having the additional credit with am ex since I'll have to do some heavy duty charging next year with Delta screwing over their diamonds and raising the am ex spend to $250K for the MQD waiver. I can transfer most of that line to my delta cards in case some big charge opportunities comes up at the office.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I received the letter from Am Ex today my account was being converted.
It says if my account is ineligible or closed it may not be transferred.
Got the same letter. They darn sure better NOT transfer my recently closed Citi account. I already have the Surpass card and rather than roll the dice on how this would work, I upgraded my previously downgraded AMEX card to Surpass for the 100k bonus (received already) and canceled my Citi card. I wasn't worry about any temporary blip on my credit history for killing the Citi card, so this route got me 100k points I would not otherwise have seen by a transfer.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Portolan
Got the same letter. They darn sure better NOT transfer my recently closed Citi account. I already have the Surpass card and rather than roll the dice on how this would work, I upgraded my previously downgraded AMEX card to Surpass for the 100k bonus (received already) and canceled my Citi card. I wasn't worry about any temporary blip on my credit history for killing the Citi card, so this route got me 100k points I would not otherwise have seen by a transfer.
I received the same letter yesterday and closed my Citi Hilton last month. See my earlier post. I am upset as the letter you (we)received even shows the new assigned Amex acct number despite language stating we will see the new Card in January.

Look at your letter and you will see the newly issued Amex number

I don’t want this to show up on my credit report especially since I already have a similar Amex Hilton Card in my possession.

I asked to speak with a supervisor to request an email stating I will not be issued this in my opinion duplicate Amex Hilton Card and they refused.

Terrible cs and still waiting for a supervisor to call me back.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by chix
I already have the Hilton Honors Citi Card. I also have Amex Surpass and have no need for another card whether identical or similar.

So I deceided to cancel the Citi Card last month so that it does not convert to Amex.

I received a letter in the mail from Amex today. The letter reiterates what the Citi letter said to expect.

However, what bothers me is the letter goes as far as assigning a NEW Amex account number xxxxx91006. It says the card will automatically be mailed in January.

Obviously I don’t want the card and more important, do not want a new account showing up on my credit and that is why I cancelled early.

I called the special Amex # on the letter and was connected to an offshore agent.

She said no worries.... that “the system” will recognize in January that I cancelled with Citi and a new Amex Card will not be sent.

I asked for that in writing and she said they can’t but will document the notes from the conversation.

I asked for a supervisor and she said that the supervisor will not be able to put in writing either. Supposedly a sup will call me within 24-48 hours.

I have zero confidence at this point that my request to not issue a new Card will be honored given that an Amex account has already been assigned in this letter.

Any suggestions?
Still no return call from a supervisor to address this
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, WN Cargo, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Lifetime Platinum
I still haven't received a letter, but I'm not going to be home until Thanksgiving to find out now anyway. Nothing on the citi or amex site when I log in. And I'm still torn on what to do.

This car was originally an Associates VISA with Citi that I converted to the no annual fee hilton card. I have a total of 19 years of history on the card (also have two other cards with 19 years of history). Part of me wants to cancel it.

I have the Surpass already, so this is basically going to become the NAF Hilton Amex, which currently offers a bonus. I'd like to have that bonus. But will there be a bonus on the Ascend that would be compelling enough to pick up as well.

Where's my crystal ball?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by airshane
I still haven't received a letter, but I'm not going to be home until Thanksgiving to find out now anyway. Nothing on the citi or amex site when I log in. And I'm still torn on what to do.

This car was originally an Associates VISA with Citi that I converted to the no annual fee hilton card. I have a total of 19 years of history on the card (also have two other cards with 19 years of history). Part of me wants to cancel it.

I have the Surpass already, so this is basically going to become the NAF Hilton Amex, which currently offers a bonus. I'd like to have that bonus. But will there be a bonus on the Ascend that would be compelling enough to pick up as well.

Where's my crystal ball?
Based on my post (letter), you will receive the new Amex Hilton whether you cancel the Citi Hilton or keep it open.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I received my letter from Amex yesterday. Did anyone notice that it looks like we will get two free nights next year? One if we spend $10,000 before our anniversary date and another if we spend $15,000 in 2018. I think this is great!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I received my letter from Amex yesterday. Did anyone notice that it looks like we will get two free nights next year? One if we spend $10,000 before our anniversary date and another if we spend $15,000 in 2018. I think this is great!
I saw that, as well. It looks like we'll receive the one free night upon our anniversary, and after spending $10K. The other free night will post once we hit $15K within the calendar year.

I plan on keeping my three cards open next year, and will likely end up with five free weekend nights.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I noticed that. Does that mean we still get our citi night as well if we spent the $10K this year or is that to make up for the loss of the citi night? I'm going to be pissed if I wasted $10K in spend on the citi card and don't get the free night.

Does this mean we have to spend $15K total for both certificates or $25K ($10K plus another $15K). I was going to transfer this credit line to a Delta Am ex and then close it and upgrade my free HH Am Ex to the $450 card but it may pay me to keep this open until the year annversary date and put $15k or $25K on for the two free nights. That plus the citi free night will be a great deal.

Hilton truly is rewarding their credit card holders better than their guests that spend 100 nights a year in their hotels
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:14 am

I noticed that. Does that mean we still get our citi night as well if we spent the $10K this year or is that to make up for the loss of the citi night? I'm going to be pissed if I wasted $10K in spend on the citi card and don't get the free night.

Does this mean we have to spend $15K total for both certificates or $25K ($10K plus another $15K). I was going to transfer this credit line to a Delta Am ex and then close it and upgrade my free HH Am Ex to the $450 card but it may pay me to keep this open until the year annversary date and put $15k or $25K on for the two free nights. That plus the citi free night will be a great deal.

Hilton truly is rewarding their credit card holders better than their guests that spend 100 nights a year in their hotels
Found a FAQ page from Lauren (our Hilton rep) which seems to answer that

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29005693-post161.html

From what I read, you will get the Citi free night if you spend $10k by your next anniversary date, regardless if your anniversary lands after AMEX takes over. If you spend $15k in the new anniversary year (once it converts to AMEX), you will receive another night. However, it seems possible that you could spend $15k after the AMEX conversion but before the anniversary date and qualify for two weekend nights at once.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
I have to wait a few more weeks to cancel to get my free night from hitting 10k spend this year. I have a feeling this is going to be a bit of a mess considering I also have the Amex Surpass.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
Hi Folks,

I do not have an AMEX hilton account, and I received an email from Citi that I will be assigned an AMEX card cum Jan 18 next year. Question:

1) Do we still get a sign up bonus from AMEX once this card is "issued"? Anyone here had checked with AMEX reps yet?

2) If not, what happens if I sign up for a AMEX card and get the sign up bonus now. What will happen to the new card that is going to be "assigned" to me? It will duplicate another account? This is so messy!

3) Should I just sign up for a new AMEX card, and cancel my current Citi card? I heard that many tried here that Citi doesn't offer any transfer of credit line within Citi products.

4) I believe cancelling the card will hurt my credit. So basically, if I don't want my credit to go into ruins, I should just let them handover my account and issue me a new AMEX card which pose no value or added benefit to me whatsoever. Is cancelling a right move?
Cancelling the card may hurt your credit slightly, but it will certainly not push your credit into ruins. Average age of accounts is a moderately sized factor, and assuming you have other accounts, cancelling this card shouldn't completely tank that metric. Now, if it results in high balances relative to limits, that could be another way it could ding your credit. If you're planning to borrow money soon, wait to cancel this. If not, you have time for the effects to amortize.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:38 pm

The way I interpreted the letter is that if you spent $10k between your last renewal and your new renewal (regardless of if it’s all on the Citi card or partially on the Citi and partially on the new AmEx), we will receive a free night upon our anniversary. In addition, if we spend $15k after we receive the AmEx replacement, we will receive another free night 6-8 weeks after meeting that spending.

What I’m not certain of is how the two benefits will work together. I have a feeling that as long as you spend $15k after you receive the new AmEx, you will receive both free nights. I only have about $4k left to spend to hit my $10k, so I’m just going to bang that out now before the end of the year. I’ll then deal with the $15k after I receive the AmEx. I could probably wait until the new AmEx arrives, but that’s one more hassle in my life to worry about.

If I were you, I’d keep the card open until your anniversary in order to obtain the two free nights. I was actually super thrilled to see the new $450 card, but I already have a Citi Prestige, and personally feel that the $95 AmEx will make the most sense for me. I use the Prestige for travel and my Surpass for fuel, groceries, and Hilton stays.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by TTT103
The way I interpreted the letter is that if you spent $10k between your last renewal and your new renewal (regardless of if it’s all on the Citi card or partially on the Citi and partially on the new AmEx), we will receive a free night upon our anniversary. In addition, if we spend $15k after we receive the AmEx replacement, we will receive another free night 6-8 weeks after meeting that spending.

What I’m not certain of is how the two benefits will work together. I have a feeling that as long as you spend $15k after you receive the new AmEx, you will receive both free nights. I only have about $4k left to spend to hit my $10k, so I’m just going to bang that out now before the end of the year. I’ll then deal with the $15k after I receive the AmEx. I could probably wait until the new AmEx arrives, but that’s one more hassle in my life to worry about.

If I were you, I’d keep the card open until your anniversary in order to obtain the two free nights. I was actually super thrilled to see the new $450 card, but I already have a Citi Prestige, and personally feel that the $95 AmEx will make the most sense for me. I use the Prestige for travel and my Surpass for fuel, groceries, and Hilton stays.
That's the way I read it. Spend $10K by your Citi anniversary date (whether on the Citi or AMEX card) and get one free night. Spend $15K on the AMEX card before the end of the year (spend for the AMEX cert is based on calendar year) and get another free night. Good news is that AMEX will issue the cert once you reach the required spend, so no more waiting until after your renewal date and AF payment to get the cert.

So I'm keeping my Citi/Ascend card open at least until the anniversary date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.