Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The things that concern me are if Am Ex will start giving out the free night certificates and the bonus Hilton points for Hilton spend. The free night certificate was the nicest benefit of the card. I also don't like that a lot of merchants don't accept Am Ex so harder to get the spend in. I'd like to see the FTF go away as welel but if it doesn't I'll just use my CSR for overseas Hilton stays.
3 UR points with CSR (4.5 cents) and 10 HH points (5 cents) are pretty much a wash anyway. If Amex offers the free night cert, I will switch. But I don't see it happening as they didn't do it when they had a direct competition.. why would they do it now when they are the only game in town?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I can't recall if this rule was changed

deleted, wrong thread
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
Back in October, wasn't there an "Amex Hilton Honors Diamond Card" rumor floating around? Does Amex exclusivity make it more believable?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
The $10K spend is in a calendar year correct? Not your anniversary date to anniversary date?
No the 10K spending is anniversary date to anniversary date.

So for example I will be awarded a cert on my anniversary date in August and I supposedly have the opportunity to earn a second one by spending 10K between then and the end of the year.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Sure but in the past years the $95 fee has gotten me a free night + the opportunity to earn bonus Hilton points for 12 months. If they convert the card to earning Thank You Points after 1/1 I have several no fee cards that do that and feel I should be entitled to at least a pro-rated refund of the fee like Amex does when you cancel or downgrade a Surpass card.
Forgot - my $95 annual fee is also supposed to get me Gold status for a year. So if I pay the annual fee in August will I be Gold for 2018?
jmkizer likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
No the 10K spending is anniversary date to anniversary date.

So for example I will be awarded a cert on my anniversary date in August and I supposedly have the opportunity to earn a second one by spending 10K between then and the end of the year.
Good to know. I haven't put that much in spend in since June since I try to knock out minimum spends as early in the year as possible.

Lauren-Can you verify that if I put $10K in spend on between my anniversary date in 17 and 12/31/17 and cancel the card on 1/1 that I will get the certificate in June?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Need
3 UR points with CSR (4.5 cents) and 10 HH points (5 cents) are pretty much a wash anyway. If Amex offers the free night cert, I will switch. But I don't see it happening as they didn't do it when they had a direct competition.. why would they do it now when they are the only game in town?
You're right not much difference anyway but if you factor in a FTF the CSR is a better deal overseas. Now five or six years ago when the diamond desk would allow you to do a standard rate diamond force at the DT times square new years eve for 50K points a night that was another story

The Surpass did start giving away gold with no spend and eliminated the $20K spend requirement once the reserve card came around but they may have lost a lot of customers over that to Citi who didn't make the $20K spend and probably had some customers switch over from the fee free Hilton to the Surpass.

Seeing Am Ex is waiving the FTF on their Delta and most of their other fee based cards I would be surprised if they don't start waiving on the Surpass soon.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:14 pm

You're right not much difference anyway but if you factor in a FTF the CSR is a better deal overseas. Now five or six years ago when the diamond desk would allow you to do a standard rate diamond force at the DT times square new years eve for 50K points a night that was another story

Yeah those were the days! Stupid premium reward devaluation!

The Surpass did start giving away gold with no spend and eliminated the $20K spend requirement once the reserve card came around but they may have lost a lot of customers over that to Citi who didn't make the $20K spend and probably had some customers switch over from the fee free Hilton to the Surpass.

Surpass lost me because Citi had the annual cert.

Seeing Am Ex is waiving the FTF on their Delta and most of their other fee based cards I would be surprised if they don't start waiving on the Surpass soon.

I just don't see myself going back to the Surpass again (even without FTF) unless they offer the free night
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:29 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Good to know. I haven't put that much in spend in since June since I try to knock out minimum spends as early in the year as possible.

Lauren-Can you verify that if I put $10K in spend on between my anniversary date in 17 and 12/31/17 and cancel the card on 1/1 that I will get the certificate in June?
Hi jamesteroh,

Looking into this - will share an update once I know more.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi jamesteroh,

Thanks!
Lauren
Lauren-

Can you also confirm what would happen to those who have a very late annual renewal date in the year? My renewal date is middle of December (which means the certificate does not post well into January - February of the following year) and I have already met the spending required to get the certificate.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi jamesteroh,

Thanks!
Lauren
Thanks Lauren.

Had another question about the spending for the time period. I applied for the card as soon as it was available and it looks like my first charge was on July 29 and my statement with citi closed today. My annual fee is charged every year around August 25 which must be when my August statement closes. Am I correct in assuming that the $10K min for the free night and the $1K in Hilton charges for the bonus Hilton point will start today since my July/Aug statement just started and that's the first day of this statement?

Reason I'm asking is I have a couple charges that total over $10K I have to make on Tuesday I was going to put on the card to just take care of the minimum right away or is it based on when the annual fee hits?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:04 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

To answer the questions that came up earlier on the thread...

Can you verify that if I put $10K in spend on between my anniversary date in 17 and 12/31/17 and cancel the card on 1/1 that I will get the certificate in June?

jamesteroh - if you reach the $10K spend threshold before 12/31/17, you will receive the free night in June of 2018. You will not be able to cancel your Citi card on January 1, 2018 since that card will cease to exist at that point. As the banks have told us, there is a difference between you cancelling your card and the bank changing/stopping the card.

Can you also confirm what would happen to those who have a very late annual renewal date in the year? My renewal date is middle of December (which means the certificate does not post well into January - February of the following year) and I have already met the spending required to get the certificate.

MD/DC Flyer -if you've already met the spend threshold, you will receive the cert in January or February.

Had another question about the spending for the time period. I applied for the card as soon as it was available and it looks like my first charge was on July 29 and my statement with citi closed today. My annual fee is charged every year around August 25 which must be when my August statement closes. Am I correct in assuming that the $10K min for the free night and the $1K in Hilton charges for the bonus Hilton point will start today since my July/Aug statement just started and that's the first day of this statement?
Reason I'm asking is I have a couple charges that total over $10K I have to make on Tuesday I was going to put on the card to just take care of the minimum right away or is it based on when the annual fee hits?

jamesteroh - The $10K in card year spend = free night is a benefit from the Citi Reserve card, whereas the $1K spend in calendar year @ Hilton = 10K HH Points is a benefit from the Citi Signature card. I'd recommend contacting Citi to confirm your question about the $10K for the free night, as that would be something they would track.

Hope that helps clarify....thanks!
Lauren
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Forgot - my $95 annual fee is also supposed to get me Gold status for a year. So if I pay the annual fee in August will I be Gold for 2018?
Good question. I'd like to know the answer to this too. I paid my annual fee in mid 2017. One would assume then that I'd be Gold for all of 2018 (or at least half) since I paid my fee and won't even be able to use the card for the full year
jmkizer likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:14 pm

Free Night w/ $10K

Hi

Is the free night after $10K spend any night when a standard room is available or only a weekend night?

Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:28 pm

I hate it when these credit cards change from one bank to another.... or, like the Fairmont Chase card, just disappear.

I already have the Amex Hilton Surpass card. It sucks because you have to pay forex charges. I'm in Italy right now and have stayed in 2 Hiltons already and only took my Citi card. Hope Amex changes that, or I'll just cancel it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.