Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Mine has a notation as to how my number could be higher (it's 830 now) - they told me since I have no outstanding debt (student loans, car payments, mortgage) my score is not as high as it could be. ABSURD!!! Punished for having a paid for house and car!
Part of your FICO score is made up of types of credit. I paid cash for my condo and car and I also have the same message on Credit Karma and my other credit card sites where I I can see my score.

I think it's absurd as well. So it's probably impossible to have a perfect credit score, since if you have have a mortgage or car payment that would impact your score.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by ronin
Thank you for that information, but pardon me, how do you know this?
I see you are a brand new username on Flyertalk, and seem to speak with some assertion only in this thread.
Others have asked the same question. I am not saying you are wrong, but we would like to know.

When I look at a credit report, I don't see accounts listed as 0 years, I see a date of opening and a date of closing. I also see the issuing bank and card type, and a partially redacted account number. If there are separate account numbers and separate card issuers, I don't see how these are not separate accounts.

Chase (and others) with their 5/24 rule look at accounts, issuers, opening dates, and open or close status. Unless we specifically hear otherwise from Citi and from AmEx, their silence on this matter is deafening.
I spoke with a supervisor at length trying to figure out what would become of my account. She gave me a long spiel about what would happen when my account switched to AmEx, I asked several questions, then she realized that my account actually isn’t going over, and is being closed. I’m not one for Internet forums, but wanted to get the news out there that any account not going to AmEx would be closed. I don’t mean to seem cocky or arrogant. I also googled citi’s acquisition of Costco from AmEx, and can’t see why this wouldn’t be very similar. Im not saying it’s impossible that I could be wrong, but I’m pretty confident in my research. Feel free to take anything I say with a grain of salt. I’m just a stranger on the internet, after all.

Last edited by MaiaH; Nov 10, 2017 at 11:57 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Part of your FICO score is made up of types of credit. I paid cash for my condo and car and I also have the same message on Credit Karma and my other credit card sites where I I can see my score.

I think it's absurd as well. So it's probably impossible to have a perfect credit score, since if you have have a mortgage or car payment that would impact your score.
I really don't think those messages help anyone when you already have good credit.

Here are mine:

Positive Score Factors:
Balances on bankcard or revolving accts not too high compared to limits
What You Can Do
Keep low balances on your accounts; this will benefit your score.

Negative Score Factors:
Balances on bankcard or revolving accounts is too high
What You Can Do
Pay down the balances on your accounts. Ideally, the balance on any revolving account should be 30% or less of the total credit limit on that account.

Hmmm.....
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Just sent a Secure Message to Citi asking what will be happening with the card. We'll see what they say to me.
Smart! I had a lawyer letter all drafted up and ready to go, but decided to wait until we know something certain. Will try this myself...
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MaiaH
There are simply certain accounts that existed within a period that are not subject to the acquisition, but may not carry on as different account types. Since Citi can no longer carry the Hilton product, they are forced to close those accounts. At least this is what I have gathered after many calls back and forth with management, trying to find out what would happen with my card. I am one of the unlucky few that gets to lose one of my oldest and largest lines of credit. I’m very worried about the effects on my cscore.
Just curious if you have insight, in what scenarios may this possibly happen?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
I have tried 3 times to call and either get my credit line moved and/or switch products and no go. One rep did a hard pull with bad info so now I am right where I was and have an extra hard pull.
So not happy with Citi on this. I should have pulled the trigger right when it was announced months ago but now I will just wait and see what Amex does. I already have a surpass so don't really need any others but figured at a minimum maybe I will get higher credit line on my current amex once i combine.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:52 am

I received this in an email from Citibank today.

Hi, AAdmiral. We are writing to let you know that Citi will be converting your Citi® Hilton Honors™ Reserve Visa® account to a Citi ThankYou Preferred account. We’ll share details about your new account in the near future. Citi’s co-branded credit card relationship with Hilton is expiring. You’ll continue to earn Hilton Honors points until January 29, 2018. On January 30, 2018, you’ll start earning ThankYou points when you use your card instead of Hilton Honors points even though your card will not change at this time. We’ll provide you with additional information about the ThankYou Rewards program in mid-December. Although your new ThankYou Preferred account will have many of the same benefits of your Citi Hilton Honors Reserve account, some benefits will expire upon activation of your new card. We’ll provide the terms and conditions of your Citi ThankYou Preferred account, including information about benefits, in January. Unless you contact Citi before January 1, 2018, we’ll automatically convert your account. If you do not wish to have your Citi Hilton Honors Reserve account converted to a Citi ThankYou Preferred account, you must contact Citi before January 1, 2018. You may be eligible to convert to another Citi product. You can reach us at 1-888-856-4255 (TTY: 1-800-325-2865)

I would look in your inbox and/or contact Citibank and see if this is available for your account. YMMV
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by AAdmiral

Hi, AAdmiral. We are writing to let you know that Citi will be converting your Citi® Hilton Honors™ Reserve Visa® account to a Citi ThankYou Preferred account. We’ll share details about your new account in the near future. Citi’s co-branded credit card relationship with Hilton is expiring. You’ll continue to earn Hilton Honors points until January 29, 2018. On January 30, 2018, you’ll start earning ThankYou points when you use your card instead of Hilton Honors points even though your card will not change at this time. We’ll provide you with additional information about the ThankYou Rewards program in mid-December. Although your new ThankYou Preferred account will have many of the same benefits of your Citi Hilton Honors Reserve account, some benefits will expire upon activation of your new card. We’ll provide the terms and conditions of your Citi ThankYou Preferred account, including information about benefits, in January. Unless you contact Citi before January 1, 2018, we’ll automatically convert your account. If you do not wish to have your Citi Hilton Honors Reserve account converted to a Citi ThankYou Preferred account, you must contact Citi before January 1, 2018. You may be eligible to convert to another Citi product. You can reach us at 1-888-856-4255 (TTY: 1-800-325-2865)

I would look in your inbox and/or contact Citibank and see if this is available for your account. YMMV
Did you also receive the November 1 note from Citi saying your account was being transferred to AMEX? I did but it did say "in some situations" the transfer would not be happening and that Citi would reach out with more info if so.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:51 am

Did you also receive the November 1 note from Citi saying your account was being transferred to AMEX? I did but it did say "in some situations" the transfer would not be happening and that Citi would reach out with more info if so.
I haven't received any emails from them for anything merger related. I did call 3 times thought and you would think if my account was noted with that they would have been ableto tell me. I would LOVE to get an email like that but until January I am just going to sit tight.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:55 am

No I did not. Only communication so far from Citibank was the one I posted above regarding the Citi Hilton card.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:15 pm

No I did not. Only communication so far from Citibank was the one I posted above regarding the Citi Hilton card.
Based on that, it appears anyone who got the 11/1 e-mail is more than likely being converted. Anyone who wasn't going to be converted for sure got the e-mail AAdmiral did, and nothing prior to that.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I only received the first email about Amex conversion though it included the "some accounts will not convert" language (I think this was just part of the stock language everyone got). So far nothing new like AAdmiral

It does make far more sense that Citi would convert any orphan accounts (i.e. rejected by AMEX) to TYP as AMEX can only require Citi to terminate the HH product, not the customer relationship which may extend well beyond 1 credit card. In my case I have Citi bank accounts and other credit cards.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:05 pm

Based on that, it appears anyone who got the 11/1 e-mail is more than likely being converted. Anyone who wasn't going to be converted for sure got the e-mail AAdmiral did, and nothing prior to that.
I take it back, I went back and looked and i did get the email. It said that the account was bring transferred to Amex but like PP it also said some accounts may not convert. Oh well. I wonder why in the world Amex would take my account if they must know I already have one. sigh.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by miadukes
I take it back, I went back and looked and i did get the email. It said that the account was bring transferred to Amex but like PP it also said some accounts may not convert. Oh well. I wonder why in the world Amex would take my account if they must know I already have one. sigh.
So, again, we really don't who will get an Amex card and who will get a Citi card. I guess we all need to wait until January. I will be checking my mail with bated breath.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not gotten any e-mails whatsoever??!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.