Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I just got that e-mail, too.

Since we already have a no-fee Amex and 2 Surpass cards, and since it seems there is no additional bonus involved with the transition, I think I will just go ahead and cancel the Citi Visa cards now.

Does this seem like the right thing to do? Any reason why I should wait?
I have the fee free Hilton am ex and the citi reserve and wondering how they will handle it. Will they give me a surpass with the same credit line as the reserve and keep the fee free or just not convert the reserve and change the free card to a surpass?

If you have a reserve card and have met the $10K spend for the free night this year I would make sure the free night is going to carry over before cancelling, that would be my biggest worry. If you hold on to the citi cards it could also mean more credit with Am Ex (if that matters) and will mean your FICO won't take a hit for some closed accounts.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I have the fee free Hilton am ex and the citi reserve and wondering how they will handle it. Will they give me a surpass with the same credit line as the reserve and keep the fee free or just not convert the reserve and change the free card to a surpass?

If you have a reserve card and have met the $10K spend for the free night this year I would make sure the free night is going to carry over before cancelling, that would be my biggest worry. If you hold on to the citi cards it could also mean more credit with Am Ex (if that matters) and will mean your FICO won't take a hit for some closed accounts.
It's getting very confusing.

If I do NOT cancel the Citi Visa preemptively, and they do give me another Amex card, won't I have to then cancel the Amex card(s)? So I'll be cancelling something somewhere.

Or, will they know that we already have both a free Amex and 2 Surpass cards, and then say "you already have all those, so no more cards for you"!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:21 am

I found an answer: If you go to the last bullet point in the FAQ's in the referenced e-mail we got today, it says if you already have an Amex Hilton and/or Surpass, you WILL receive an additional Amex Hilton and/or Surpass.

So we could end up with 2 no-fee Amex and 4 Surpass (to be Ascend) cards! Which might not be a bad thing if you can use 4 free nights throughout the year.

So as far as credit hits go, it seems you are going to have to cancel something, which doesn't seem right to me. Don't give me something I don't want then punish me for not wanting to accept it.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Exactly. What a mess. Looks like it's time to call Citi.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Just received this email. It is official Am Ex is buying their portfolio. I wonder what will happen to Citi card holders that have defaulted on Am Ex cards and are on their blacklist. Is Am Ex going to make an exception or will they close the accounts on previous cardholders who have burned them?

Dear xxxx,

As a valued Hilton Honors member and co-branded credit card holder*, we are writing to you with some important news about Hilton’s relationship with its credit card partners. We have entered into an exclusive partnership with American Express for our Hilton Honors co-branded credit cards in the United States starting in 2018.

If you have the no-fee Citi Hilton Honors Card, it will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Card and if you have the Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card, it will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card. Your new Card will arrive in the mail in mid-January and will be available to use starting on January 30, 2018.** Your relationship with Hilton Honors remains unchanged and you will continue to earn Hilton Honors Points on your Citi Hilton Honors Card until that time.

We want to assure you that Hilton Honors, American Express and Citi are focused on making this transition as seamless as possible. On January 30th, your Citi Hilton Honors Card will no longer be active.

We value your ongoing loyalty to Hilton Honors and are committed to providing exceptional customer service while offering our members the best, most unique experiences possible. If you have any questions, please click here.

Sincerely,

Mark Weinstein

Global Head Customer Engagement, Loyalty & Partnerships
Hilton
It's tough for me to do a lot of cutting and pasting on the phone, but there is fine print in the article stating that not everyone is going to be automatically transferred, implying AMEX will be turning down those deemed potential problem customers.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
It's tough for me to do a lot of cutting and pasting on the phone, but there is fine print in the article stating that not everyone is going to be automatically transferred, implying AMEX will be turning down those deemed potential problem customers.
I, too, am curiuous about this. I had a BK that included Amex in early 2008 and have a feeling I might not be getting one of these. I would *love* to have this be a backdoor into Amex’s good graces again, but I don’t have my hopes set too high.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
And that would make sense that Am Ex wouldn't want to give an account to someone on their blacklist and/or who is delinquent with a current Am Ex card.

I'm surprised they aren't handling this same way they did with the NW/Delta merge and just requiring people to apply for a new card and have citi issue a new product to their cardholders. Citi has to be getting a nice chunk of change to hand over their Hilton portfolio from either Hilton or Am Ex
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:10 pm

Just received this email. It is official Am Ex is buying their portfolio. I wonder what will happen to Citi card holders that have defaulted on Am Ex cards and are on their blacklist. Is Am Ex going to make an exception or will they close the accounts on previous cardholders who have burned them?

Dear xxxx,

As a valued Hilton Honors member and co-branded credit card holder*, we are writing to you with some important news about Hilton’s relationship with its credit card partners. We have entered into an exclusive partnership with American Express for our Hilton Honors co-branded credit cards in the United States starting in 2018.

If you have the no-fee Citi Hilton Honors Card, it will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Card and if you have the Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card, it will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card. Your new Card will arrive in the mail in mid-January and will be available to use starting on January 30, 2018.** Your relationship with Hilton Honors remains unchanged and you will continue to earn Hilton Honors Points on your Citi Hilton Honors Card until that time.

We want to assure you that Hilton Honors, American Express and Citi are focused on making this transition as seamless as possible. On January 30th, your Citi Hilton Honors Card will no longer be active.

We value your ongoing loyalty to Hilton Honors and are committed to providing exceptional customer service while offering our members the best, most unique experiences possible. If you have any questions, please click here.

Sincerely,

Mark Weinstein

Global Head Customer Engagement, Loyalty & Partnerships
Hilton
I have not gotten that e-mail. Wonder if AMEX is not buying my card, which would be strange since I am on good terms with them. I did ask a few weeks ago what would be happening, and someone said I would be receiving a new Citi product (some others got the same message, others were told AMEX was taking over).
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
I have not gotten that e-mail. Wonder if AMEX is not buying my card, which would be strange since I am on good terms with them. I did ask a few weeks ago what would be happening, and someone said I would be receiving a new Citi product (some others got the same message, others were told AMEX was taking over).
I don't think that would be the case since the email came from Hilton and not AmEx. Hilton wouldn't have any way of knowing what accounts Am Ex would be assuming.

When I first heard the news a few months ago that this card was going away I called Citi, mainly out of concern if I would get the free night if I put $10K on the card but also asked what was happening to account, and I was told that Citi would probably be issuing me a different card. I really don't want another citi card and would rather have more credit with Am Ex so this is working out in my favor.

If Am Ex won't issue a card to people on their blacklist it will suck for them if they rely on the card for Hilton status.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:38 pm

Just got another e-mail, this one also from Hilton:

Basically says our Surpass card will be "refreshed" to the Ascend.

I guess I missed before where you have to spend $15,000 a year to get the free weekend night! I thought it was a "gift" the first year, silly me.

That changes everything. Not sure I want to pay a $95 annual fee and not get the free night (unlike Marriott, which although it is a lower level hotel, at least it is free every year with just paying your AF).

And certainly no sense both of us having an Ascend. We'll cut back to one Ascend for the Gold status, and then reevaluate what other cards we need from other providers.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Just got another e-mail, this one also from Hilton:

Basically says our Surpass card will be "refreshed" to the Ascend.

I guess I missed before where you have to spend $15,000 a year to get the free weekend night! I thought it was a "gift" the first year, silly me.

That changes everything. Not sure I want to pay a $95 annual fee and not get the free night (unlike Marriott, which although it is a lower level hotel, at least it is free every year with just paying your AF).
For those of us who did the recent Surpass offer of 100K-point signup + free weekend night at 1st anniversary, wouldn't AmEx still honor those original signup terms?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
For those of us who did the recent Surpass offer of 100K-point signup + free weekend night at 1st anniversary, wouldn't AmEx still honor those original signup terms?
I imagine so, given they're honoring the $10k cardmember year threshold initially for the Citi cardholders who are being converted to AMEX.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm wondering if Marriott/SPG and Hyatt will introduce high AF credit cards that will grant top tier status with this news. I'm hoping Marriott Does, it would be worth paying an annual fee of $450 that would give me top tier at SPG
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have the basic no-fee Citi Visa, so here's how it'll affect me:

Pro: No FTF assessed, higher point earning levels.

Con: AMEX acceptance rate lower, no more annual 10K for $1000 Hilton spend.

At first glance, looks like a slight minus as the earnings and FTF won't likely cover the missing 10K entirely.

I'd strongly consider a Marriott Platinum status card, although the last thing I need is a second Priority Pass membership.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:20 pm

I have the basic no-fee Citi Visa, so here's how it'll affect me:

Pro: No FTF assessed, higher point earning levels.

Con: AMEX acceptance rate lower, no more annual 10K for $1000 Hilton spend.

At first glance, looks like a slight minus as the earnings and FTF won't likely cover the missing 10K entirely.

I'd strongly consider a Marriott Platinum status card, although the last thing I need is a second Priority Pass membership.
But you are also passing up the sign up bonus you would get for a new Hilton Amex card

I have the NAF Visa and the basic Hilton Amex so I decided to cancel my last Hilton Visa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.