Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
I chatted with an online rep today and was told my card would be converted to an Amex card.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:20 am

Still possible to apply for a Citi Hilton card?

Can one still apply for a Citi Hilton card or is Amex the only option now?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by StangGT909
I chatted with an online rep today and was told my card would be converted to an Amex card.
Same here. Is it wishful thinking to assume we'll get a choice before they open the account for us? (If it actually takes this route.)
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:40 am

Question is what happens to those who already applied to the AMEX (not knowing what would happen to their Citi card) and are now at the internal limit of four AMEX cards. I'd hate to lose the history for any of those two cards if they won't convert mine due to it putting me over that limit. Two of the current AMEX cards are grandfathered under the age backdating, the third is SPG (which is valuable points wise), and the fourth is the Surpass card (which has the 100k welcome bonus and free anniversary night).
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Question is what happens to those who already applied to the AMEX (not knowing what would happen to their Citi card) and are now at the internal limit of four AMEX cards. I'd hate to lose the history for any of those two cards if they won't convert mine due to it putting me over that limit. Two of the current AMEX cards are grandfathered under the age backdating, the third is SPG (which is valuable points wise), and the fourth is the Surpass card (which has the 100k welcome bonus and free anniversary night).
FYI: I believe the typical limit may be 5 credit cards now.
MASTERNC likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by puchong
AmEx is now the only option. All citi links appear to be dead.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by puchong
Only Amex now. The Citi links all died several months ago.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
If this true, what would happen if you have balance on the Citi card and then in January 2018 it becomes an Amex card? Does the balance disappear? Does the interest rate remain the same?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
If this true, what would happen if you have balance on the Citi card and then in January 2018 it becomes an Amex card? Does the balance disappear? Does the interest rate remain the same?
Since there has been no official announcement (just contradictory info from different CIti agents), we (a) don'tknow if it's in January 2018 or ealier that it bocomes an Amex card, (b) we don't know if the Citi card will be automatically closed when that happens or not, (c) we don't know if Amex will copy your info from your Citi account or re-evaluate all that.

So you can ask such questions but nobody can answer them (unless they're just speculating).

See, we don't a recent example of a card moving from Citi (or any other bank) to Amex to base this on. This is very new territory.

I can tell you that when my Best Western card moved from Barclay to FirstSomethingOrOther Bank, they kept the credit limit the same, I don't carry a balance so I didn't even look at what the interest rate was, but they decreased the earnings at Best Western properties from 5x to just 3x so I just stopped using the card. But in that case, FirstSomethingOrOther Bank never had a Best Western card of its own, Best Western went from only Barclay issuing its USA cards to only this other bank issuing them. That's very different from cards moving from Citi to Amex which already has been issuing Hilton Honors cards for decades. And also what's very different is that FirstSomethingOrOther Bank is a bank hardly hardly anyone knows, while Amex is about as well known a bank as Citi is.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Since there has been no official announcement (just contradictory info from different CIti agents), we (a) don'tknow if it's in January 2018 or ealier that it bocomes an Amex card, (b) we don't know if the Citi card will be automatically closed when that happens or not, (c) we don't know if Amex will copy your info from your Citi account or re-evaluate all that.

So you can ask such questions but nobody can answer them (unless they're just speculating).

See, we don't a recent example of a card moving from Citi (or any other bank) to Amex to base this on. This is very new territory.

I can tell you that when my Best Western card moved from Barclay to FirstSomethingOrOther Bank, they kept the credit limit the same, I don't carry a balance so I didn't even look at what the interest rate was, but they decreased the earnings at Best Western properties from 5x to just 3x so I just stopped using the card. But in that case, FirstSomethingOrOther Bank never had a Best Western card of its own, Best Western went from only Barclay issuing its USA cards to only this other bank issuing them. That's very different from cards moving from Citi to Amex which already has been issuing Hilton Honors cards for decades. And also what's very different is that FirstSomethingOrOther Bank is a bank hardly hardly anyone knows, while Amex is about as well known a bank as Citi is.
Yes, we need to wait and see. We, like many, have our full complement of Amex cards, and a couple of Citi cards. What WILL the earning multiple be for HH purchases? What WILL any bonus be for keeping the transferred card? When all the options are laid out, we all can decide what works best for us, not them. I'm certainly not losing sleep in September over this!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Yes, we need to wait and see. We, like many, have our full complement of Amex cards, and a couple of Citi cards. What WILL the earning multiple be for HH purchases? What WILL any bonus be for keeping the transferred card? When all the options are laid out, we all can decide what works best for us, not them. I'm certainly not losing sleep in September over this!
I''m not losing any sleep either. I guess I just want to spark conversation.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Agreed. We have attempted to hedge our bets by converting all but 1 Citi HH Visas to other products or closing them.

We also each hold a no fee HH Amex and a Surpass, along with other Amex cards.

Our final decision will be made once Citi and Amex reveal their plans.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by freeflyin
Agreed. We have attempted to hedge our bets by converting all but 1 Citi HH Visas to other products or closing them.

We also each hold a no fee HH Amex and a Surpass, along with other Amex cards.

Our final decision will be made once Citi and Amex reveal their plans.
Explain why you would close your HH Citi Visas? I'm keeping ours open to see what we are offered - if nothing, fine, if something, even better. But it seems to me if you close them preemptively you have no chance of taking advantage of anything they MAY offer.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Not that it changes anything remotely but a Citi Representative today told me "we don't know" when I asked if my account was being sold or if a new Citi card was being offered. She did however tell me that a decision and subsequent communication should be getting sent out in the next week or two about what Citi has decided to do.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Explain why you would close your HH Citi Visas? I'm keeping ours open to see what we are offered - if nothing, fine, if something, even better. But it seems to me if you close them preemptively you have no chance of taking advantage of anything they MAY offer.
We have been consolidating our cards in general, and have more use for cash back cards,so we converted to Double Cash and closed others. These cards had been churned.

We have no need for so many HH cards any longer,but kept a single Citi Visa open for just the reason you state.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.