Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors and American Express Co-brand Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors and American Express Co-brand Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
My bad, I thought it was only the card holder but it includes guests. The PP benefit isn't nearly as useful to me now though since I fly Delta/SkyTeam and due to their LAX terminal move I am losing access to the KL lounge and AS Lounge there and the one nice club at MSP is no longer accepting PP and at LHR I Have access to the Virgin lounge which is much nicer than the PP lounge and at the other airports I go to the Delta club is nice than the PP clubs. It is still a nice benefit to have at Vegas though.
Speaking of AS Board rooms, there is a long discussion on the AS forum about how they constantly have signs out in SEA and PDX that Priority Passes are not accepted most times because of overcrowding. I'm not sure if LAX was mentioned, but since we fly AS exclusively it renders our PP virtually useless (I can also live without paying the $29 or whatever pp, we've been in the AS lounges when we flew in Paid F and I don't think they are worth it - again, don't know anything about LAX).
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Speaking of AS Board rooms, there is a long discussion on the AS forum about how they constantly have signs out in SEA and PDX that Priority Passes are not accepted most times because of overcrowding. I'm not sure if LAX was mentioned, but since we fly AS exclusively it renders our PP virtually useless (I can also live without paying the $29 or whatever pp, we've been in the AS lounges when we flew in Paid F and I don't think they are worth it - again, don't know anything about LAX).
I never had an issue at LAX but I think I only used the PP there two times and never had an issue using my skyclub membership there when they allowed SC members to enter. Seems like they would have less of an issue with overcrowding at boardrooms now that Delta skyclub members can no longer use the lounge. The KL lounge has restricted hours at LAX for PP members.

Hopefully they aren't restricting access at ANK since Delta doesn't have a lounge there.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The Chase Sapphire Reserve T's & C's don't make the guest policy clear - I assume those of you who have the card can confirm that guests are included? (I assume it's not really unlimited, but possibly the same 2 adults *or* family on a single PNR that the Citi Prestige Card gets.) The PP Select page mainly refers you back to your credit card page for detailed terms.

I've been rejected by the AS Boardroom in PDX before. That's pretty weak....between that and AS rarely recognizing my KTN even when I direct-book with them, I've mostly switched my PDX travel back to WN. Bummer because I like the AS E175's...
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:50 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
My Citi HHonors Reserve Visa:

(a) Gives me HHonors Gold status as long as I retain the card;
(b) Has no FTFs when I use it in Europe (which I do a lot);
(c) Can be used anywhere. There are still many places in Europe that do not accept Amex because of the exorbitant fees they charge retailers. Visa is universal. Amex is not.

I have a UK Amex Platinum card already.
It seems to me that I will need to get another Visa card for Europe that has no FTFs. That is not a problem, except for (1) below.

My two main questions:
(1) Will I continue to have Gold status automatically, even if I don't use the new card at all or only at Hiltons in the US?
(2) When are Hilton or Citi going to notify me officially about this change? If I hadn't come upon this thread, I would have no idea that this was going to happen.

Supplementary question: Is the new card going to have chip and PIN (essential in Europe now) ?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I missed this thread, because I don't have an AMEX card, and the title is misleading. I have a Citi card, and the lack of details concerning this matter is troubling.

Closing down a credit card can have a significant impact on the card holder's credit score:

- The cardholder lose the line of credit, which affects their debt-to-credit ratio (and thus affects their credit score).
- In this case, if AMEX does not automatically assume the Citi accounts and arrange to have everything seamlessly roll over, those of us who want to switch to one of the AMEX cards and are forced to apply as new customers will have a hard inquiry on our credit. This will cause our credit scores to drop.
- If Citi closes our accounts without AMEX taking them over, account holders will lose their credit history for this account.

This is HUGE from a customer perspective. I am not a credit card churner, and I do not want my credit score affected because Hilton decided that it's better for their business to have one credit card provider. It's terrible for my credit score.

When US Airways switched from Bank of America to Barclays about a year or two before the merger with AA, Bank of America transferred all accounts and credit history seamlessly over to Barclays. They also threw in some goodies as a goodwill gesture, since any change in credit card is a real pain in the butt for the cardholder.

I implore Hilton and Citi to do right by their customers, and automatically convert our accounts to the equivalent AMEX credit card.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by SS255
Closing down a credit card can have a significant impact on the card holder's credit score:

- The cardholder lose the line of credit, which affects their debt-to-credit ratio (and thus affects their credit score).
- In this case, if AMEX does not automatically assume the Citi accounts and arrange to have everything seamlessly roll over, those of us who want to switch to one of the AMEX cards and are forced to apply as new customers will have a hard inquiry on our credit. This will cause our credit scores to drop.
- If Citi closes our accounts without AMEX taking them over, account holders will lose their credit history for this account.
1) The debt-to-credit ratio is only adversely affected if you carry a balance.

2) Yes, there would be a hard inquiry, but for someone with an established credit history the impact of a single inquiry and/or new account is minimal. I think this would be a reason for American Express to assume all of Citi's Hilton accounts since not everyone would rush out to apply for the AmEx Hilton product.

3) In the event the accounts don't get transferred to AmEx, it's unlikely that Citi would close the account. The cards would likely be converted to another product like the ThankYou Premier. In the event the accounts were closed, the item would stay on your credit report for 10 years before disappearing, which factors into the average age of accounts.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: delta, american, Hilton Diamond
This question is for Loren or anyone else who might know: I am a Citi HH cardholder right now. If I apply for the Amex card now during the 100K promo, will I still be eligible for the points? I realize it will be a new account, but there is language in the fine print about "gaming" which I am not really trying to do. Though it is possible somewhere down the line if a conversion is made they may say I now have a duplicate account and refuse to award the points.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by stormbandit
This question is for Loren or anyone else who might know: I am a Citi HH cardholder right now. If I apply for the Amex card now during the 100K promo, will I still be eligible for the points? I realize it will be a new account, but there is language in the fine print about "gaming" which I am not really trying to do. Though it is possible somewhere down the line if a conversion is made they may say I now have a duplicate account and refuse to award the points.
I don't see how Amex would deny you the points if you apply for the card and then through no action of your own wind up with another Amex Hilton card. The only thing they ever seem to limit is duplicating a sign up or spending bonus so if you never received either of these you are entitled to apply and earn them.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
FTF

Originally Posted by kyoshiromibu
... Amex has foreign transaction fees and no certificate. Hilton is worldwide. I won't pay 2+% ... just for the privilege to use my card outside US. ...
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
... I like the points earning opportunities on Amex's existing HH cards but FTFs mean I leave them home when traveling overseas.
Originally Posted by mingw
FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE: 2.7%

I travel a lot and have stayed Hilton many times since last year. unfortunately I won't even bring the card with me because of this. ...
Originally Posted by Mystic92
Hey, by the way, did anyone mention NO FTF - just kidding but that is the deal breaker for me. Card will sit in the safe while I am off to Europe. ...
There is obviously a clear logic at work here but I'm looking at the situation somewhat differently. Tell me why I'm wrong.

I have the free AMEX HH card (not Surpass). It is the only hotel-points-earning credit card I have.

Say I spend the equivalent of $1000 staying in a Hilton abroad. The FTF will be $27. Say 20% of the bill is tax, so for AMEX bonus HH points I get 800 x 7 = 5600. $27.00 / 5600 = less than 1/2 cent per point (.482). When buying HH points, the normal price is 1 pt : 1 ct. In the recently concluded sale, it was 1 pt : .5 ct.

So, I look at paying the FTF as simply a way of buying a few additional points at a more favorable rate than even the 2-for-1 sale. What's wrong with that logic?

Last edited by henry999; Oct 10, 2017 at 12:02 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by henry999
There is obviously a clear logic at work here but I'm looking at the situation somewhat differently. Tell me why I'm wrong.

I have the free AMEX HH card (not Surpass). It is the only hotel-points-earning credit card I have.

Say I spend the equivalent of $1000 staying in a Hilton abroad. The FTF will be $27. Say 20% of the bill is tax, so for AMEX bonus HH points I get 800 x 7 = 5600. $27.00 / 5600 = less than 1/2 cent per point (.482). When buying HH points, the normal price is 1 pt : 1 ct. In the recently concluded sale, it was 1 pt : .5 ct.

So, I look at paying the FTF as simply a way of buying a few additional points at a more favorable rate than even the 2-for-1 sale. What's wrong with that logic?
5,600 HHonors points @ 1/2 cent = $28 so the $27 forex fee wipes out the bonus points.

(Actually you earn bonus points on tax as well so you would be left with $8 worth of bonus points)
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
(Actually you earn bonus points on tax as well ...)
Thanks. Good to know. That makes this even more of a bargain.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by henry999
Thanks. Good to know. That makes this even more of a bargain.
I dn't understand that logic. The $27 FTF is an extra cost that you wouldn't have to pay if you used a different card. By your logic if the FTF were $270 you'd be happier still because you could buy more points.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I dn't understand that logic. The $27 FTF is an extra cost that you wouldn't have to pay if you used a different card. By your logic if the FTF were $270 you'd be happier still because you could buy more points.
I think what the poster is trying to say is that without any other points earning options, paying the FTF is not a barrier to their using the no-fee card to earn Hilton points considering the cost to simply buy the points. That is a very specific use case but reasonable for that poster.

My dream world has AMX adding all the Surpass benefits to my existing platinum card so I only have to carry one card. I would even eat an added fee for that option.

FWIW
DLM
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I dn't understand that logic. The $27 FTF is an extra cost that you wouldn't have to pay if you used a different card.
But if you use a different card, you don't get the 7 extra points per dollar spent.

Yes, it is an extra cost compared to using the card in America. But when one is not in America? I'm just saying that accepting the 2.7% FTF (which, in any case, is going to be a comparatively small amount, i.e., in the tens of dollars, not hundreds or thousands) and using the card can be seen as a way of buying additional points at a very advantageous rate.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by dmunz
I think what the poster is trying to say is that without any other points earning options, paying the FTF is not a barrier to their using the no-fee card to earn Hilton points considering the cost to simply buy the points. That is a very specific use case but reasonable for that poster.
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.