Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors and American Express Co-brand Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors and American Express Co-brand Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Apologies if this link has already been posted in this thread:

http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by pinniped
TYP is also going through its own mini-devaluation, with AA flight redemptions getting more expensive in the next few weeks (?).

I have a couple TYP cards and looked at them as relatively decent no-FX-fee cards that came with some other benefits (one of mine has lounge access, for example). Since I fly AA pretty regularly, I just think of them as cashback cards. As soon as I hit a couple hundred bucks' worth of points, I spend them on a flight.

My guess is that Chase's Sapphire card is better for most people...if you want a home-grown-points type of card that redeems for travel and transfers into other types of points.

In 6 months, I'll be entirely out of TYP. I'm likely to cancel one card and turn the other one into a Costco Visa. The end of the AAdmiral's Club partnership kills most of the value I was getting from my one lounge-access card.
I believe Citi is devaluing AA as a whole. Like you said, the Prestige card is losing Admirals club access next month and lowering the value of points to 1.25 cents each. You have to admit the current Prestige-AA rewards value was/is almost too good to last.

The card itself is doing well, though. Citi recently added Jet Blue at 1000 TY to 800 TB when compared to 1000: 500 on the ThankYou Preferred. The ThankYou cards are the only other non-AMEX outside of Barclays that transfers to True Blue that I know of. There was also another partner that was added recently (forgot the name though).

I have the ThankYou Premier for a few reasons:

1) Transfers to Jet Blue (doesn't exist with Chase).
2) Automated Price Rewind Feature
3) Balance reflects immediately after payment
4) Trip cancellation protection (doesn't exist on AMEX).

I've said it before, some people may find Chase's partners as a better group, but I would only get value out of Hyatt. If I lived closer to an airport that had Southwest airlines as a partner, that would be useful too.

When it comes to Hilton Honors, I believe the rewards program itself is flexible enough across multiple issuers where they'll stay with Citi as a transfer partner.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
if they'll stay with Citi as a transfer partner.
Why would Citi remain a transfer partner with HHonors after this move? Would it still make sense for Citi
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
My question (besides the one on the free night, which Citi said would be honored if $10k was reached by 12/31) is why this wasn't announced before AMEX's offer of 100k points for upgrading to the Surpass card expired on May 31. Seems suspicious (if not just bad) timing.
That's my gripe, too. I almost pulled the trigger on the upgrade bonus, but ultimately didn't. I still have an upgrade offer, but at 75K instead of 100K.

If I had known, I would have gone for it before 5/31.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:18 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by agprint
Lauren - I may not have expressed myself clearly. I am referring to the $10K spend for the ANNIVERSARY free weekend night certificate. In the past this certificate is not sent until after you have reached your card member year anniversary. This past year I met my spend requirement in early December, but did not receive my certificate until Feb 18th. Next Feb will be AFTER the conclusion of the Hilton Honors Citi card program. So, with that additional info, can you tell me if indeed I will get the certificate - even after Jan 1, 2018? Many thanks.
Hi agprint,

Hoping this better helps answer your question. If you spend the $10K to meet the qualifications, you will get your certificate even if the delivery comes after January 1, 2018...you'll then have 12 months to use it.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Lauren,
This answer is a little in clear. Could you please confirm that if one meets the $40,000 spend requirement on the Hilton/Citibank Reserve card in 2017 that they will in fact have Diamond status through March 31, 2019.
Thank you,
236Dakota
Hi 236Dakota,

Correct, if you meet the spend requirements this year, you would attain Diamond status through March 31, 2019.

Let me know if that makes sense!
Lauren
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ab12345
Hey Lauren, when will Citi stop taking new applications for these cards? If you don't yet know the date, do you know if a date will be given ahead of time? Or if they could just disappear at any point between now and the end of the year? Thanks!
Hi ab12345,

It's a good question - one that I unfortunately do not know the answer to at this time. If I hear any updates, I'll be sure to share on the thread.

Thanks,
Lauren
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA, United, Hilton, IHG, Carlson, Hyatt, SPG
Thanks Lauren

Hey, by the way, did anyone mention NO FTF - just kidding but that is the deal breaker for me. Card will sit in the safe while I am off to Europe.
I can do without the free night cause I can easily earn one but the fees are the deal breaker.

Thanks
Mystic
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Why would Citi remain a transfer partner with HHonors after this move? Would it still make sense for Citi
For the same reasons AMEX and JetBlue still remain transfer partners despite JetBlue moving to Barclaycard. It is better to have more transfer partners for your customers to use.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Well I guess it comes at a good time for me. I dropped the Amex Surpass last year, met the $10k spending on the Citi Reserve, used almost all of my points on upcoming trips, and have diamond status through March 2018. I'm using my Capital One Venture card now for most of my spending so effectively my 10 year Hilton relationship will come to an end. Without a Hilton card I won't earn enough points to make it worthwhile to go out of my way to stay at Hiltons. It was a fun ride, I've earned and spent millions of points over the years and had 30+ stays a couple of years, all on leisure.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michael19887
How can you come to this conclusion with having no idea what the new offerings will be from American Express?
Amex is not accepted everywhere. One of the things that makes the HH Amex worse than the HH Citi Visa is that Visa is accepted way more places.

Are you saying that you think it's possible the Amex will offer an HH Visa card? Only that would solve that issue!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I have a wide variety of cards (as I'm sure most of you do) - all have different features and bonus categories. I think I'm evenly divided between Amex and V/MC. I've got a little cheat sheet in my wallet: Use this one: Supermarkets, not Costco This one: Gas, not Costco. This one: Costco and Costco gas. This one: Restaurants This one: rental cars. This one: Airline tickets. And on and on. That way I max out on everything I buy. Many (not all) have annual fees, but the only ones I keep with AF's are the ones that an annual bonus (extra points, free hotel stays, companion airfare, etc.) more than pay for the annual fee.

The sky didn't fall when Costco switched from Amex to Visa, and the sky won't fall when Hilton switches from Visa to Amex.

I do feel for those who travel internationally with Hilton, and don't want to pay FTF's (I think these are the ONLY people who are directly affected)...but you'll still get your Hilton points for your stay, and you can get credit card points on whatever card you have that doesn't have FTFs (Marriott in my case, also my Marriott card provides my travel insurance).

I know this is a simplistic post, but I can't believe how people are making such a big deal out of the change...change happens, just roll with it.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Having both, will be interesting to see how this plays out. No worry about Forex as I use Chase Reserve aboard. Would love Amex to bring back the AXON option. (4 nights for 145,000 would be grand; I can dream).
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Amex is not accepted everywhere. One of the things that makes the HH Amex worse than the HH Citi Visa is that Visa is accepted way more places.

Are you saying that you think it's possible the Amex will offer an HH Visa card? Only that would solve that issue!
+1 Visa is accepted at a lot more places. Yesterday I had a few business charges to make and am trying to get my spend in on my Delta Am Ex for the MQM boost. Two of the vendors said they didn't accept Am Ex and those two charges totaled around $6,500. That makes a huge dent into the $60K spend I need for the extra boosts and would make up almost 15% of the minimum $40K spend for Hilton diamond status. Those two charges went on my Citi 2% cash back but would have gone to Am Ex if they accepted the card.

And I understand small businesses not wanting an account with Am Ex. Their transaction fees are pretty high and most people with an Am Ex have a mastercard of visa.

I know there's others on here besides me who use Delta as their main airline and use the Am Ex card for MQM boosts for status. Will make it more difficult to get Hilton spend in seeing how many places don't accept Am Ex.

Hopefully Am Ex will issue new cards to the Citi holders and buy their portfolio and give some nice offers to card holders that switch like they did with the NWA cardholders when Am Ex bought Northwest
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Hopefully Am Ex will issue new cards to the Citi holders and buy their portfolio and give some nice offers to card holders that switch like they did with the NWA cardholders when Am Ex bought Northwest
Huh? I had a NW Worldperks card, and it remained a US Bank card, turned into a Flexperks card (yuck). Did some people's US Bank NWA cards get automatically replaced with Amex Delta cards??? That's what "buying their portfolio" would mean IMHO.

Ie, I experiencef that when some obscure bank with "First" in the name bought the Best Western card accounts from Barclay. My Barclay card was automatically replaced with a First Whatever bank card that had the exact same credit limit. (The problem is that it had a much worse earning structure, so after a few months I stopped using it even for Best Western stays.)

OTOH, when Amtrak left Chase for another bank, there was no transfer of portfolio. Chase transitioned everyone with the Amtrak Guest Rewards card (there was only one at the time, with no AF) to Chase Freedom.

Now, when Continental merged with United, that was much simpler, because both were with Chase, and so Chase was just able to morph CO cards into UA cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.