Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Rio De Janiero Copacabana {BRA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Rio De Janiero Copacabana {BRA}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:31 pm

Will be in Rio for 3 nights in January. Looked at a lot of the chain hotels- SPG/IHG/Amex FHR/Virtuoso/Visa Signature/Hyatt/Hilton, and probably will stick with Hilton. Not because it's an awesome property but because the price is right. I'm not one to stay in a boutique hotel, I like a big lobby, a gym, decent pool, restaurants. Considered booking at The Copa but photos show a property just as dated at 5x the price. The Copa's restaurant overlooks the pool and that doesn't bother me in the least. Agree that Rio isn't overflowing with great hotels. It's one of those cities where you've got to be satisfied that you got a good/great rate at a decent property. The best lounge is probably at the Grand Hyatt but why go all the way to Rio and stay 1 hr outside of the action? At least we'll get bfast, and having a crappy lounge is something I'm used to. Sometimes you gotta deal with what's out there, makes you appreciate the stellar properties that much more.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by hfly
For what its worth................that is the state of almost all hotels in RJ, they have always been antiquated, with bad service and with eye watering rates...........This was a junk property when it was a Meridien, a terrible property as a Windsor, and junk property again. Being in Leme by a few meters is a plus to anyone who knows anything about Rio as Copacabana has always been seen as a terrible place to stay. Then again if you want to stay in Copa, what are your better options? The Copa Palace, better rooms and service, but often 2-3x the price. You could stay at the Fasano on the edge of Ipanema (far preferable location) but again multiples of the price. It is what it is, ever see the state of the Sheraton (Leblon but really Vidigal? The IC?) any of the "beautiful" Othon properties?
This.
I also stayed in neighbouring BestWestern and it was a dump too
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by acker
Will be in Rio for 3 nights in January. Looked at a lot of the chain hotels- SPG/IHG/Amex FHR/Virtuoso/Visa Signature/Hyatt/Hilton, and probably will stick with Hilton. Not because it's an awesome property but because the price is right. I'm not one to stay in a boutique hotel, I like a big lobby, a gym, decent pool, restaurants. Considered booking at The Copa but photos show a property just as dated at 5x the price. The Copa's restaurant overlooks the pool and that doesn't bother me in the least. Agree that Rio isn't overflowing with great hotels. It's one of those cities where you've got to be satisfied that you got a good/great rate at a decent property. The best lounge is probably at the Grand Hyatt but why go all the way to Rio and stay 1 hr outside of the action? At least we'll get bfast, and having a crappy lounge is something I'm used to. Sometimes you gotta deal with what's out there, makes you appreciate the stellar properties that much more.
I'd say you're right. The JW Marriott, and Accor's top end properties are either super old OR super expensive. Or both. Great pool here for an end of day dip, Gym is quite OK, machines worked. Exec Lounge was totally acceptable for me-- free drinks and the staff would refill food items when prompted. Absolutely not fancy but I'd stay again for sure.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA gld HH gld
No disagreements with hfly but I would change to an AirBnB. I rented one the second week and had a great apartment in Ipanema that was central to everything for $90/night and was twice the size of the room I had at Hilton. The staff at Hilton made me want to puke at their poor service.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by BostonTravel
No disagreements with hfly but I would change to an AirBnB. I rented one the second week and had a great apartment in Ipanema that was central to everything for $90/night and was twice the size of the room I had at Hilton. The staff at Hilton made me want to puke at their poor service.
While I didn't have any of the poor service you describe-- breakfast staff remembered me day to day, check in people were friendly, bartender at pool also quite nice. I really had none of those interactions. Never wanted to puke.
Also, while Air BnB sounds ok, I would never do it for a 2-3 night stay. I've done it, in Rio, and sat for 2+ hours waiting at an apartment rental agency for the owner to come to check in (vs. a hotel that has a check in open 24/7).
I'll take the Hilton anytime, IF it's available for US$150 or less.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
Has someone found a standard night award for this hotel?
I feel cheated by Hilton Honors rep on Twitter that they can find a standard award.
Following is my conversation with them:

The interesting part of the conversation is that they said they have a live reservation system (Huh?) and rates might not be available anymore.
So the Hilton Honors website is not a live reservation system or what?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:38 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by kyushuman
The JW Marriott, and Accor's top end properties are either super old OR super expensive. Or both.
There is a Fairmont which will open in June - rates I was looking at are higher than Hilton but only modestly so. And I am assuming that rooms will look quite fresh.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
[QUOTE=sch7458;30709240]Has someone found a standard night award for this hotel?

I agree that this hotel isn't playing by the rules . I wanted to stay for 5 nights in May and there was nothing at standard points . I looked through the calendar for the year and couldn't notice anything either, though there could be a single night hidden somewhere that I missed. The premium room available wasn't too high in points but of course you do not get the 5th night free for premium awards .......I ended up booking a paid rate with the 4th night free
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:42 am

Stop Worring, Hilton Copa is a fine hotel & I'll stay there again

For what it's worth, I stayed @ Hilton Copa last week and would absolutely return. I can't believe people think it's not a good choice. I'm a 16 yr Diamond, and thought this hotel had it all going for it: location, price, great restaurants a stone's throw away, beach across the street. Yuck to swimming in ocean, I found out the hard way when I found myself surrounded by misc pieces of trash suspended in the waves - stick to the pool, it's got the views and is v clean. Loved the location - you're at one end of Copacabana and it's perfect to walk the length to Ipanema beach. I walked around area before dusk and had zero issues. Btw, Uber is your friend if you're going any distance, or out at night. Prices for Uber rides are crazy low. To give you an idea, it cost $14 for Uber Hilton to Airport during rush hour, $3.65 Hilton to tram for Christ the Redeemer. I left before bfast so can't comment. Did stop by evening happy hour but only had a quick beer b4 heading out to dinner.
Just be realistic, book your room, and enjoy your stay. Have your camera ready for the awesome views from the pool and your room. Also, we were able to check in @ 1030am

Copacabana Beach from 30th Floor Room Hilton Copa Jan 2019
camsean likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You cannot believe it? Because of the hotel or the location? Locationwise for anyone familiar with Rio, the only good thing about it is that it is actually located in Leme, not Copacabana, as Copacabana is a toilet, quite literally, as you state regarding the state of the water, but also because all in all Copacabana despite having a catchy name is one of the most densely crowded places on Earth,and is basically a tourist hell hole. You like walking to Ipanema, well most would prefer to stay in Ipanema, as it is that much nicer, relative to Copa.

In terms of the hotel, complaints are regarding the entire hotel scene in Rio, than just this property. It has always been a "meh" property, it was a crappy Meridien, it was a crappy Windsor, and now it is a crappy Hilton. Fine for Rio, but pretty mediocre or poor for almost anywhere else on Earth.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:05 am

Hilton Copa isn't the Cavalieri, but Rio isn't Rome. Know that going in. Rio is hot, crowded, gritty, has crime, but it's a blast. You're right, Hilton Copa's in Leme, which runs into Copacabana which runs into Arpoador which runs into Ipanema. Anybody doing cursory hotel research knows Rio has a meh selection of hotels. But, come on, Hilton Copa is more than fine. It's clean, it's in a good location - no matter where you are, you're gonna be close to some things and further from others - this goes for NYC/Paris/anywhere. I stand by my comments.
One more thing, you don't have to hire a guide. We used Uber to get to Christ the Redeemer (the statue that shows tourists the position they should take when being robbed - keep your hands up and look straight ahead), Sugar Loaf, etc. Easy and cheap.
prism10 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Italy and Rome as an example? Really? The city and country with perhaps the poorest hotels in Western Europe?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:24 am

As others have stated, hotels in Rio do not really provide visitors with a great QPR. The city has a grear natural beauty that is besmirched by pollution, crime and corruption. That being said, it is one of my favorite destinations. My late wife and I wintered there for a number of years, renting a wonderful apartment on Av. Atlantico opposite Copacabana beach. We never found a hotel that matched our accommodations, no matter what the price range. I haven't been back to Rio for quite some time, but being very familiar with the city and its hostelry challenges, I would certainly not be adverse to staying at this Hilton.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus, StarAlliance Silver
Hi everyone,
I sent two emails to the hotel to ask what's the policy for outside guest. I will travel with a friend from my country and I have some brazilian friends, since it's not my first time here.
The first email said that there is no problem for outside guests, they just have to leave an ID at the front desk. They also said that only one outside guest can sleep with me without extra charge (but no one will stay overnight, so no problem).
After few hours another one replied to my email, but she said that I have to pay an insane charge of 250R+15% for outside guests when they stay in common area of the hotel. My rate is something like 230R/day (plus tax) so for me something wrong.
What experience do you have? I don't want any problem during my stay, I want to be free to invite my friends to drink something on the roofbar and to come to my room
I hope someone can help me
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:13 pm

Can’t find ONE night with standard room availability?

what room type is standard?

the lowest room on any date (cash) is ocean view 1br king, which is considered a premium room

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.