Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Points from Daily Getaways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Those of you with an HH account that are planning to travel this summer will love this deal from Daily Getaways:

You can get 100k Hilton points for $480 starting May 2! Daily Getaways is also the only place you can buy this many points -- and for .48 cents/ point, its the cheapest Hilton points deal you'll be able to find.

Something you should consider if you plan on using a hotel this summer -- or you can also use the points for things like concerts, dinners, etc.

Thoughts?

https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/Default.aspx?ct=5

Last edited by hannahkhan; Apr 26, 2017 at 3:12 pm Reason: forgot link
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Meh. Hilton redemptions are a cash value of around .5 cpp these days. There are places where this might make sense, like high cash rates on particular properties and dates, but all told I would rather keep my cash.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah - with the new .5 cpp values - purchasing points almost never makes sense anymore and purchasing through Daily Getaways is not nearly as lucrative of an offer as it was in prior years.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hannahkhan
You can get 100k Hilton points for $480 starting May 2! Daily Getaways is also the only place you can buy this many points -- and for .48 cents/ point, its the cheapest Hilton points deal you'll be able to find.
Just because regular point sales are yuuuugely overpriced doesn't mean this automatically a good deal. Why spend $0.048 / point if that is essentially the value I recoup when spending them later? Might as well pay with cash for the room and earn points (and not subject my increased account balance to the risk of further "tweaking" of the non-existing redemption table).
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Just because regular point sales are yuuuugely overpriced doesn't mean this automatically a good deal. Why spend $0.048 / point if that is essentially the value I recoup when spending them later?
Because it is not particularly difficult to find a valuation greater than $0.048 per point. I have two rooms booked on these dates for a total of 240K points. So paying $1,200 for 250K points is a good deal vs. paying $2,200 in cash for the two rooms.

Homewood Suites Homewood Suites by Hilton Atlanta - Buckhead

Rate Details HONORS DISCOUNT

DATE

Price Per Night (USD)

21 Jun 2017 212.43
22 Jun 2017 212.43
23 Jun 2017 *141.55
24 Jun 2017 *141.55
25 Jun 2017 212.43
Room Subtotal 920.39
Taxes 16.00 % per room per night
$5.00 USD per room per night
Total for stay 1,092.65
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Because it is not particularly difficult to find a valuation greater than $0.048 per point. I have two rooms booked on these dates for a total of 240K points. So paying $1,200 for 250K points is a good deal vs. paying $2,200 in cash for the two rooms.
That's great. It doesn't work for any of my upcoming reservations, so I am not stocking up. But that's good for you because there is less competition for the points package

(I will grab 100k points by upgrading my Amex Honors card to a Surpass card for a year)
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
It is a good deal if you plan to use the points quickly.

You would be rolling the dice to buy points and bank them.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have two rooms booked on these dates for a total of 240K points. So paying $1,200 for 250K points is a good deal vs. paying $2,200 in cash for the two rooms.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Meh. Hilton redemptions are a cash value of around .5 cpp these days. There are places where this might make sense, like high cash rates on particular properties and dates, but all told I would rather keep my cash.
I would add that I can use an opaque booking engine* (Hotwire, in this case) to find a price of $857 on those dates for a four star hotel in Atlanta-Buckhead. If I go to three star (which is fairly close of a star category for where a Homewood Suites would be in) I can get it down to $762.

While you are admittedly getting the advantage of a flexible reservation, and you know exactly where you are staying upfront instead of being at the tender mercies of Hotwire (though betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com can help with that), I still think that for a lot of reasons, buying points under Hilton's new scheme at ~.5 cpp has at best marginal value for very specific uses. I wouldn't buy them speculatively at all, because tying up nearly $500 in cash in a program that has a notorious history of devaluation is just a bad idea.

Oh, and the Fairfield Inn on hotels.com is $678 for those dates...

*In general, Hilton gets business from me if they are competitive with Priceline/Hotwire/hotels.com/kayak.com/booking.com in same area/star category, when I figure in bonuses, my odds of cancelling the reservation, etc. Otherwise... hasta la vista.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 27, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Old May 8, 2017, 5:42 am

Did anyone of you received the points from dailygetaways last sale so far?
Old May 8, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by svhe
Did anyone of you received the points from dailygetaways last sale so far?
Usually it takes some days to fulfill points purchase. Give it a week or two.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold,Hyatt Diamond
hilton points are on sale today
https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/Home/index
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, they're all sold out.

I hold the same opinion I did last year: I can see specific scenarios where it would work out, otherwise, meh, pass, don't want to buy them speculatively.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold,Hyatt Diamond
I was able to grab two different packages as I had already analyzed what I would use the points for. I paid $50 per 10,000 points and will use them towards a 40,000 point room that was $319 per night plus taxes and resort fee so it works for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.