Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Soft Landing?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Location: Mesa, AZ USA - UA Prem Ex- SPG Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriot Platinum - Avis Chairman - National EE

Hello,

Due to various reasons I did not requalify for Diamond in 2002. I was able to keep Starwood Platinum status and as the year drew to a close decided to concentrate on Starwood stays to keep that status.

In terms of Hilton, since I did not requalify for Diamond (only 24 stays last year) will I be soft landed to Gold for 2003?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by capetown (edited 01-06-2003).]
Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by capetown:
In terms of Hilton, since I did not requalify for Diamond (only 24 stays last year) will I be soft landed to Gold for 2003?</font>
You don't need "soft landing" (like the term, btw), your 24 stays is more than required to qualify for Gold.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Location: Mesa, AZ USA - UA Prem Ex- SPG Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriot Platinum - Avis Chairman - National EE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:
You don't need "soft landing" (like the term, btw), your 24 stays is more than required to qualify for Gold. </font>
Eugene,

My mistake...getting my programs mixed up. I only had 18 stays at Hilton last year...the 24 were Marriott

Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:53 pm

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
Since you're AA Plat, just call HH and ask them to upgrade you to Gold using the AAGU code.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:56 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by capetown:
I only had 18 stays at Hilton last year...
</font>
Still more than enough for the "hard-earned" Gold (only 16 stays are required)...
Old Jan 6, 2003, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
Since you're AA Plat, just call HH and ask them to upgrade you to Gold using the AAGU code.

MoreMiles, can you please enlighten me? I am AA Platinum and a lowly Blue w/Hilton. Are you saying that a simple phone call will serve to upgrade me to Gold?

Wow! What great news!
Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2003, 4:56 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by uncle wiggily:

MoreMiles, can you please enlighten me? I am AA Platinum and a lowly Blue w/Hilton. Are you saying that a simple phone call will serve to upgrade me to Gold?

Wow! What great news!
Thanks
</font>

Below is pasted from aa.com

Hilton HHonors®
VIP Membership Offer

Enroll now in Hilton HHonors® and be automatically enrolled as a Gold VIP member. This membership normally requires 16 stays in a calendar year. And, with just four qualifying stays within 90 days of enrollment, you will receive an extra 1,000 AAdvantage miles.

To enroll in Hilton HHonors, call 1-800-HHONORS and request Origin Code AAGE.
If you are already an HHonors® member, but would like to benefit from this special offer, call the HHonors Customer Service Center at 1-800-548-8690 and request Origin Code AAGU.
Subject to availability. Some blackout dates may apply.

Mike
Old Jan 6, 2003, 5:47 pm

I just got off the phone w/the Hilton Honors folks. I gave the woman the AAGU code. She was very nice but could not find anything indicating that i would be upgraded to Gold. She said that AA pple were invited to join Hilton Honors but @ Blue level. Big deal!

I then went to AA.com and found the Hilton page but could not find what you had quoted.

Perhaps I am not reading this correctly so I would once again appreciate any help you can steer in my direction. Going from Blue to Gold would be gold-en.

Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I'd be willing to bet that the AAGU offer cited above is ONLY for AA Platinum members and above!

I am AA Gold and under "2002 Gold Offers" (good thru 2/28/2003), there is an offer to enroll (code AASE) or upgrade (code AASU) to HHonors Silver. (But I'm already HHonors Diamond.)

On aa.com, go to "NetSAAver and Special Offers," then "Special Offers." I found the Gold Offers on the resulting list. Presumably, Plat and ExPlat would have their own offers on this page.

Kathy
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:21 pm

On aa.com, go to "NetSAAver and Special Offers," then "Special Offers." I found the Gold Offers on the resulting list. Presumably, Plat and ExPlat would have their own offers on this page.

Thanks for the above information. I went to AA.com (I am Platinum) and put in AAGU and got back that "promotional code you put in is not valid."

I feel like a true duefuss (sic) but I am obviously doing something wrong.

Your guidance?

Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by uncle wiggily:
Thanks for the above information. I went to AA.com (I am Platinum) and put in AAGU and got back that "promotional code you put in is not valid."

I am obviously doing something wrong.

Your guidance?
</font>
The AAGU promo code is for HH, not AA (although it's applicable to AA Plats and above), thus it won't work entering it on AA. Call HH again and ask them to add AAGU to your profile (if the CSR is clueless, ask for a supervisor). You will not only become instant HH Gold, but also get 1,000 bonus AA miles after 4 stays.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 3:50 pm

Thanks to your encouraging words, Eugene, MoreMiles, Kathy Wdrf and Mike Silv, I persevered and ended up speaking w/a supervisor who told me that there had been some sort of computer glitch which was preventing them from making me Gold. She did some magic and voila!, I'm Gold.
My Golden thanks to all of you.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Since award stays now count toward the number of stays/year (and thereby status), do the 4 stays within 90 days have to be paid stays or do award stays count too?
Old Apr 7, 2003, 10:52 am

Programs: Craftsman Tool Club - Silver Socket
No Honors VIP Soft Landing

Just wanted to post this FYI to all since I had asked the questions a few weeks ago. I wondered if HH had a “soft landing “approach for downgrading current VIP levels the following year if re-qualification levels were not met. The answer is no. Last year I was Diamond and just received my Silver card for this year instead of the hoped for “soft landing Gold. Not whining, just informing here.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
I will probably drop to basic next year (using more and more Intercontinental instead). Wonder if I will go to basic or silver from my current gold?

Gustaf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.