Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Points and money - cash part charged immediately?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:22 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

I booked a stay using Points and Money for a long time out (late May). The points were deducted immediately (which is the standard practice right?) but I was surprised to see my card charged (and the charge has posted) at the same time.

I thought the charge would only be due at check out? Would it help if I call the hotel to ask them to reverse the charge?

The property is the Caribe Hilton at SJU. Thanks!!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:35 pm

When you do a "points and cash" reservation, you are essentially using cash to buy points, and then using the points to pay for your reservation. If you were to cancel, you would be credited back the points value, but no cash.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
I had three cash and point completed so far this year, I always had points deducted immediately and cash paid at check in. Unless t&c in your reservation state differently (e.g. non refundable rate) usually you have points deducted immediately and cash paid at the hotel.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
When you do a "points and cash" reservation, you are essentially using cash to buy points, and then using the points to pay for your reservation. If you were to cancel, you would be credited back the points value, but no cash.
That is true for IHG but not Hilton.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MP001
I had three cash and point completed so far this year, I always had points deducted immediately and cash paid at check in. Unless t&c in your reservation state differently (e.g. non refundable rate) usually you have points deducted immediately and cash paid at the hotel.
Yes, that has always been my experience with cash and points.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I booked a stay using Points and Money for a long time out (late May). The points were deducted immediately (which is the standard practice right?) but I was surprised to see my card charged (and the charge has posted) at the same time.
What do the rate rules say? Sounds like it could be a nonrefundable rate. That, or an error.

When you do a "points and cash" reservation, you are essentially using cash to buy points, and then using the points to pay for your reservation.
That's not how Hilton C+P awards work.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Same here, points deducted at time of reservation, and cash portion charged at check in.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are confusing Hilton with IHG which acts as what you described.

Hilton point + cash has NEVER been using the cash to buy points.

I have numerous point + cash bookings in the past, NEVER ONCE the cash was charged upfront - ALWAYS at check out.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I have spotted some C&P rates that are non-refundable. In those circumstances, the cash element is charged immediately. I always thought that C&P rates could be cancelled, so was surprised to see some that were non-refundable.

The last place I spotted was Bangkok on NYE, so perhaps a reasonable tactic to stop people booking rooms they won't use.

Last edited by Dan72; Feb 11, 2017 at 10:45 pm
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:38 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I contacted the hotel today and closely looked at my rate rules, indeed the co pay is charged immediately. Weird. They said my only option was either pay or have it canceled.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: M&M FTL AEGEAN Gold HH Gold
I recently cancelled a point + cash booking, which was charged immediately.
The refund took more than a month .
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kl_rocket
Good reason to never do that then.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dan72
I have spotted some C&P rates that are non-refundable. In those circumstances, the cash element is charged immediately. I always thought that C&P rates could be cancelled, so was surprised to see some that were non-refundable.

The last place I spotted was Bangkok on NYE, so perhaps a reasonable tactic to stop people booking rooms they won't use.
No, you need to always check the Rate Rules to see if this is a free cancellation rate or a nonrefundable rate even for award - if it is nonrefundable the pts would not be refunded as well. Usually those are for days where there are events or festival such as you said New Year's Eve.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I grab these often at $40 & 8000 points and the money is always charged at time of stay whereas the points are deducted from my balance immediately upon booking. Great value for one night stays near airports when irrops occur imo. Ymmv
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:23 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kl_rocket
Originally Posted by eajusa
Good reason to never do that then.

Just a quick update for FTers in the future, I was refunded the deposit within 48 hours. Apparently all HH properties do the same (charge upfront) in PR, I never knew (but it's there stated in the rate rules so not complaining).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.