Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Family MVP Rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Family MVP Rate

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:03 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
I've used the MVP rate many times, and never been asked for a card other then the CC I used to book online. And cblaisd is right about HWS might ask to see your credentials for a sports affiliation as I've seen that in print somewhere but not for any of the others. Check the rate details to see if anything shows when booking the MVP rate online at any of Hilton's properties.

Slightly OT, but several times of late I've seen advance purchase rates which beat the MVP or AAA/CAA rates by small amounts.

bj-21.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by blackjack-21

Slightly OT, but several times of late I've seen advance purchase rates which beat the MVP or AAA/CAA rates by small amounts.

bj-21.
I think that's totally location dependent though.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Ritz
LOL. I'm pretty sure Craz is well aware to the difference between the HH membership card and the MVP code participating card (which doesn't exist, but the desk agent obviously doesn't).

And welcome to FT. Interesting choice for your first post.

Nothing against Chaz. I suppose with that post count and account longevity I should have assumed.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:30 am

I've probably had 30-50 stays at MVP rates at every brand except HWS. I've never been asked for any proof of affiliation and I never thought that there was any affiliation required.

I have noticed, however, over the last month, that there are more and more non-participating hotels. And, I have now noticed that the hiltonfamilymvp.com website has some language on it about "national governing bodies" of Team USA sports. I don't recall that being there before, but maybe it was. (Incidentally, when the MVP rate isn't available, I typically use the Team USA rates (Corporate Codes 2635167 and 2635191) instead and I've never had any problem with those either.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
craz: There is no MVP card.

However, there are a very few hotels where a credential showing a sports or press affiliation is required. It always shows up in the detailed booking rules, and iirc in the generated booking sheet. Could it be you were booked in one of these?
Thanks thats what I thought but honestly wasnt sure so I didnt want to go to the mat with her

The T&Cs didnt state anything but the having an HH card, Im HH Diamond and thought once she saw my pic ID she knew it was me and who carrys their card anyway.But she wanted the MVP card as I said claiming there was a ton of Fraud with using that code at that Hotel, it was an ES prop

Id call and speak to the MOD but could be I will rebook it again and print out the T&Cs and go to the mat with them the next time. This time I ended up at a Hampton that was apx $13 cheaper , could be if that ES was doing the 3x with US miles I might have cared but the HI was doing the 3x so all I lost was 200 miles and a few HH pts.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by craz
But she wanted the MVP card as I said claiming there was a ton of Fraud with using that code at that Hotel, it was an ES prop
Paypal me $50 and I'll get you one of those very exclusive MVP cards.

Thank you,
David
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:03 am

craz: Where was this ES?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Paypal me $50 and I'll get you one of those very exclusive MVP cards.

Thank you,
David
That was fruitful. Thanks for your contribution.

Originally Posted by zachary
I have noticed, however, over the last month, that there are more and more non-participating hotels. And, I have now noticed that the hiltonfamilymvp.com website has some language on it about "national governing bodies" of Team USA sports. I don't recall that being there before, but maybe it was. (Incidentally, when the MVP rate isn't available, I typically use the Team USA rates (Corporate Codes 2635167 and 2635191) instead and I've never had any problem with those either.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the upcoming Olympics or some such?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ritz

I wonder if it has anything to do with the upcoming Olympics or some such?
Not unless the Games have been moved from London to the NYC area, since I plan to try it again for now I dont want to publize which ES it was
Old Mar 14, 2012, 3:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Hi guys, I'm going to throw some cold water on this thread. Since craz posted his incident, I detect an atmosphere in this thread that seems like some of you think the MVP rate is some secret trick, and we'd better talk about it in hushed tones (and not confront uninformed front desk personnel).

Then she aks for my ID Card, when I tell her I dont carry it with me she says she cant honor the rate but will charge me the reg rate and I can fax a copy in when I get to my office and get the org rate.

she said theres a ton of Fraud going on by everyone and their grandmother using that code. I told her to CXteh res and she no prob, there was a 24 hr before CX policy so I didnt want to stir the pot and not get aroom and not get the CX either.

I rechecked the Room details and no where did it state you need to show your MVP card, is there even such a creature

She was nice as she let me use the hotels computer and i booked a Hampton 1/2 hr away for $13 less

1st time I ran into this , btw the HI was using MVP and not 1 word was said. I knew the reg rate for that smoking room was $99 but she claimed it was $143 , yet that $143 was the MVP rate for those rooms. I was just in no mood to argue.
Let me quote an excerpt from the MVP literature sent to franchisees:
"Reservations should only be booked into the MVP SRP via the MVP portal or via the toll-free number. Therefore, you should not accept reservations when the traveler contacts your hotel directly.
"You should ask to see the guests’ HHonors card (or valid photo ID if they just have their HHonors number) upon check in. You should set a local message on the MVP SRP reminding your guest service representatives to ask for the information above."

O.k., that's it. There is NO ID requirement, other than the Hilton Honors requirement. I know there are plenty of threads around here about using non-public codes, but MVP is not some proprietary code, like using IBM's corporate code. Hilton posts the MVP code publicly, and markets it to high school coaches for their personal use. In fact, the MVP code is invalid for group, aka team, travel. It is a corporate code, not a group code.

Since MVP is a corporate code, perhaps (and this is just a guess) the front desk clerk confused MVP with an actual corporation's code (Hi, I'm from Mid Valley Pickling, ha ha), and wanted craz's business card as proof of eligibility.

Originally Posted by blackjack-21

bj-21.
The AAA/CAA/AARP rate is _supposed_ to always be 10% off, the MVP 20%. Franchisees may have more leeway with setting the APR code.

Since we're talking about it, I'll mention I never once got hassled about MVP, but when I book AAA, I always, always have to pull out my AAA card. Some chains, like Radisson and Choice, seem to have it set up so that the front desk cannot check you in until they enter a valid AAA #.

Originally Posted by SparkyX
Chaz: Sure they weren't asking for your HHonors card? You were sorta making a new booking and the rate notes when booking a (ES) rate say:

Special Rate. HHonors number required when booking.
Subject to availability restrictions at each Hotel.
Restrictions: Must be requested. Do not offer. HHonors
number/card required when booking
. 20% off BAR. Features:
Special rate. Subject to hotel availability,
length of stay restrictions, blackout dates may apply.

Makes me nervous--I have three stays coming up in a few weeks against the MVP rate.
Sparky, you got that off of Hilton.com, right? Guess what, it isn't on there for you to read, or me or any other guest. It isn't there for the hotel employees to read. That "Do not offer" restriction is there for the employees at the Hilton 800 number to read. It is there to assure the franchisees that if they sign up for MVP, they won't be flooded with guests that got MVP discounts handed out from the reservation dept.

Originally Posted by zachary
I've probably had 30-50 stays at MVP rates at every brand except HWS. I've never been asked for any proof of affiliation and I never thought that there was any affiliation required.

I have noticed, however, over the last month, that there are more and more non-participating hotels.
Few Homewoods honor the MVP rate code, but I've used MVP rates at Homewoods, and never been questioned at all.

I guess "the cat is out of the bag" for the MVP rate, and a lot of franchisees are starting to pull the plug. Too bad. Bill Shatner, here I come.

Of course, if it's getting too popular, Hilton has the right to change the terms, but at a loss of business. Before MVP, the only time I ever stayed at Hilton's was when I got one through Hotwire (honestly), now I stay at Hilton's almost every week. If they pulled MVP, they'd lose all my business. This ES would absolutely lose my business. I doubt I'm the only one.
Thanks thats what I thought but honestly wasnt sure so I didnt want to go to the mat with her

The T&Cs didnt state anything but the having an HH card, Im HH Diamond and thought once she saw my pic ID she knew it was me and who carrys their card anyway.But she wanted the MVP card as I said claiming there was a ton of Fraud with using that code at that Hotel, it was an ES prop

Id call and speak to the MOD but could be I will rebook it again and print out the T&Cs and go to the mat with them the next time. This time I ended up at a Hampton that was apx $13 cheaper , could be if that ES was doing the 3x with US miles I might have cared but the HI was doing the 3x so all I lost was 200 miles and a few HH pts.
If there really is a ton of "fraud" (as I mentioned above, it is NOT fraud to book the MVP rate) at that particular ES, then the GM needs to get off his/her rear and reconfigure the MVP rate. As quoted from the Hilton website, MVP is "Subject to hotel availability, blackout dates may apply." IOW, MVP is not a "last room availability" thing. It can be limited all the way down to only off-season availability, like in Florida, if desired. Again, I'll quote from the MVP material: While the SRP will be set up initially for you, it will be your responsibility to manage the SRP on an ongoing basis.

Again, I'm only guessing, but I'll bet the MVP code was set up by someone who is no longer at that ES. The ES is now getting a ton of MVP bookings (from fatwallet.com, where members are not shy about this) and they've decided to make the poor front desk girl harass the guests instead of taking the time to figure out how to tweak their rate codes. They figure they'll offer the MVP, then get the sheep to accept some walk in rate. Kudos to craz for walking out instead of bending over. I know, when you arrive late at night and you're tired, you don't feel like fighting.

Not unless the Games have been moved from London to the NYC area, since I plan to try it again for now I dont want to publize which ES it was
Why not? Are you afraid this ES will read FT, or are you afraid that some FTers will harass the ES? After this happenned, I sure as heck wouldn't ever book a room there again until I had contacted the GM, and I had gotten an assurance that my business was welcome at MVP rates
Old Mar 14, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: VS Silver, Kris Silver, IC Amb, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
I am most likely doing something wrong myself, but not seeing any difference in rate in the London Hiltons I've compared.

Have most of them opted out?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz Gold / Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Plat / Marriott Gold / IC RA / SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MagicWok
I am most likely doing something wrong myself, but not seeing any difference in rate in the London Hiltons I've compared.

Have most of them opted out?
MVP rate only works for hotels in USA
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jn in ca

Let me quote an excerpt from the MVP literature sent to franchisees:
"Reservations should only be booked into the MVP SRP via the MVP portal or via the toll-free number. Therefore, you should not accept reservations when the traveler contacts your hotel directly.
"You should ask to see the guests’ HHonors card (or valid photo ID if they just have their HHonors number) upon check in. You should set a local message on the MVP SRP reminding your guest service representatives to ask for the information above."

O.k., that's it. There is NO ID requirement, other than the Hilton Honors requirement. I know there are plenty of threads around here about using non-public codes, but MVP is not some proprietary code, like using IBM's corporate code. Hilton posts the MVP code publicly, and markets it to high school coaches for their personal use. In fact, the MVP code is invalid for group, aka team, travel. It is a corporate code, not a group code.

If there really is a ton of "fraud" (as I mentioned above, it is NOT fraud to book the MVP rate) at that particular ES, then the GM needs to get off his/her rear and reconfigure the MVP rate. As quoted from the Hilton website, MVP is "Subject to hotel availability, blackout dates may apply."

Why not? Are you afraid this ES will read FT, or are you afraid that some FTers will harass the ES? After this happenned, I sure as heck wouldn't ever book a room there again until I had contacted the GM, and I had gotten an assurance that my business was welcome at MVP rates
thanks for teh post

the reason I dont want to mention the name is I plan to go back there when and if they offer the $99 rate = $79 MVP and take the rep to the mat if refused again. If others start to book it then it may get pulled and I wont get the option to do that
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:55 am

Thanks jn in ca and craz.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Under the CS Policy the following is written: "We reserve the right to cancel or modify reservations where it appears that a customer has engaged in fraudulant or inappropriate activity or under other circumstances where it appears that the reservations contain or resulted from a mistake or error."

something tells me fireworks will be going off this coming Sun night and now Im starting to believe its a bait and switch routine on the Hotels part

The res was booked @ HHonors.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.