Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:15 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Personally, I think the Hampton Inn chain is the best HHonors chain for the money.

FREE HSIA (I hear some USA visitors have problems finding HSIA).
FREE Breakfast
FREE Local Calls
100% Satsifaction Guarantee

Why pay big money for a full blown Hilton the charges extra for the above?
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Just curious - what do we think the $200 mil was actually spent on?

Given the reviews on this & the other thread, Hilton's off my list & the Marriott that sandiego1k mentions is on it.

Cheers.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Boy, you guys, that is excellent guidance. Thanks to all.

We're now thinking we'll straight head into the country or up the coast upon first arriving in SYD, but then do three or four in-town hotel nights prior to flying home... and the Four Points sounds like a far better ticket, whether I redeem points or pay actual money. I would hate to drop 120k or 160k HHonors points, which seems to me, anyway, like a big dollop, and come away as disappointed as you all have been. The renovation sounds like a genuine misfire, and as I will be traveling with my son, it just won't do to have only one precious/upscale eatery on site with "ghost town" level options out the front door. I mean, he's flexible, but the trip is meant to be fun for him too...

I can't believe Hilton is so thin on the ground in one of the world's top ten cities.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I think that Ramada, HoJo's, Travelodge all have pretty low standards for franchisees, or don't inspect often, or don't hold them to standards.
Ramadas, Howard Johnson's, Days Inn, and some other forgotten-but-not-gone brands are all run by Cendant. Cendant properties comprise the worst franchise hospitality operations in America.

HGIs first, Hamptons second for me -- consistent, clean and well-priced. I hardly ever stay at a full-line Hilton anymore.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
BearX220 - Four Poiints until Jan was Cat #2 and the best deal anywhere at that level.

Spring for the few 1000 extra a night and get an overwater Suite there. Easy walk to Chinatown and a large bunch of cinemas in George Street (as is the Hilton), which kids like too.

160,000 for the basic rooms at Hilton is just not worth even half that - IMHO.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:11 am
Suspended

4p Syd

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Four Poiints until Jan was Cat #2 and the best deal anywhere at that level.
Believe it or not when Starwood first took over management of the hotel from Nikko, it was only Category 1 ! But that was before they refurbished the rooms.

Originally Posted by ozstamp
Spring for the few 1000 extra a night and get an overwater Suite there. Easy walk to Chinatown and a large bunch of cinemas in George Street (as is the Hilton), which kids like too.
I believe you mean to say harbour/water view Suite when you wrote overwater Suite

.......and the Sydney Aquarium is just opposite the hotel .
Old Sep 21, 2005, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev

Regarding the unchanged exterior windows, is it possible that the exterior of the building had architectural significance, or some type of landmark/historical status? In many places, thirty years is the point at which a building is eligible to be considered for landmark or protected status.
Non-NonRev - It was built mid 1970s and is really just a very basic rectangular shaped tower. Prior to that the site was a low rise 19th Century Hotel. xyzzy kindly sourced these exterior photos of tower, and posted earlier on the thread:

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=108346

And as you can see the structure is very basic and totally architecturally un-remarkable. And would have had no Heritage Order significance whatever AFAIK.

However unless they had imploded the thing, they were stuck with all the very unfortunate structural hangovers - such as the existing tiny slit windows.

Glen
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:42 pm

Just did another stay last night.
got my high floor away from lift from my profile and hlaf bottle of nice bimbadgen and lovely home made chockies.
had to ask for gold exec card but chearfully given. the spread at night was very good but right on 7.30 no more drinks.
all in all a great stay for $120 plus car parking!
I have a heap of future stays and wonder when I will get my old rooms at the end of the corridor
BTW flyertalk can NOT be accessed from the lounge computers
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
WHAT??? That's it. Bad enough about the "remodel", but this is just over the top. LOOTING AND BURNING I RECOMMEND!!!
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:55 pm

Programs: mp diamond, qf plat, royal amb, hh diamond, spg plat, hyatt diamond
was that just yesterday afternoon/evening? or every visit?

i couldn't access flytalk from my office in AKL either during the afternoon/evening
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
there were some problems with FT yesterday
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just did another stay last night.

had to ask for gold exec card but chearfully given.

I have a heap of future stays and wonder when I will get my old rooms at the end of the corridor

Ros -- you are a HH Diamond member correct? So why would you need to ask for Executive lounge access?

I'll try the computers just for fun this weekend to see if the block still exists. Maybe this thread has caused the access block to Flyertalk?

Glen
Old Sep 21, 2005, 10:02 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Ros -- you are a HH Diamond member correct? So why would you need to ask for Executive lounge access?

I'll try the computers just for fun this weekend to see if the block still exists. Maybe this thread has caused the access block to Flyertalk?

Glen
I understand the bathroom designers of the Sydney Hilton personally asked for your thread to be blocked
Old Sep 21, 2005, 10:08 pm

Glen
Glen there was a LOT of Hilton sydney bashing before you came along

to try to answer your question

because the front desk girls dont bother to look and therefore gave me white keys instead of gold.
I dont know if that was the reason the lifts didnt work but I went back down and git them rekeyed and asked why i didnt have gold
this has happened every stay!
also the lifts werent accepting some cards yesterday.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by ioki
was that just yesterday afternoon/evening? or every visit?

i couldn't access flytalk from my office in AKL either during the afternoon/evening
yes it was yesterday afternoon for about 1 hr. maybe that was it.
I thought it strange as the only other times I have been unable to access FT was in some of the Qantas BA and MAS lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.