Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:05 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
uhmmm, it would finally re-open after close to 2 years of renovation. I hope we won't be disappointed.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Seems like OVER 2 years to me?

I bet they built the Sears Towers and Petronas Towers in less time than that.

A complete joke just a remodel a very modest size building. Should have imploded the lot and put up something decent looking.

Would have cost them a lot less I imagine.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:32 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
According to the Diamond Club email I received this morning:

Originally Posted by Hilton Diamond Club

Sydney icon hotel returns mid 2005.

A great hotel is a living thing, it has energy you can feel. The new Hilton Sydney, 488 George Street, projects a very special energy, a modernity that takes your breath away, and yet at the same time warms and welcomes you. Indeed, this is a special hotel. In the foyer, soaring sheets of glass enclose vast space and light. Wander along walkways seemingly suspended in air and experience a sense of weightlessness.

For more information, click here or call to request a brochure.
I'd have much rather they put it out to a much further date and brought it in as the project had certainty for finishing.

Better to underpromise and overdeliver, than the other way around (which is what they have achieved). I really don't care when they open now...I'm just not interested.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Macken7
Phone call to Hilton for award reservations in July resulted in the comment to call back in February. The system is accepting reservations through June only at this point in time for the Grace. CSR suggested the possibility that the Hilton might be ready to open again. Called back several days later and spoke to the same CSR, who stated she was not able to get any additional information. Not sure if it is just a loading thing for the computer system or maybe it might really be getting close to open again.

Well Hilton suggested calling again after February first. The CSR’s (called twice) told me that the Grace is not available for award reservations for the last week in July 2005. However, they are taking revenue bookings for the last week in July for the Grace.

Checked again on Hilton in Cairns and they are now sold out for hotel rewards in the first week of August. It is shame on me for not making award reservation earlier, when they had availability. Slap on wrist. Waiting to see and hoping for clarification on Sydney made me make the silly mistake of not making award reservations for Cairns.

So going 0 for 2 here with Hilton in Australia. Telling myself to be patient here and things will work out. The CSR stated that I should call back and see if there is availability of Hilton Cairns for award as things could open up again, when they review inventory. I have not had much experience with awards. Does it seem possible that award inventory could open again for Cairns, even though at this time they are showing as being sold out?

Also when the Sydney Hilton opens again doesn’t it seem reasonable to think that the category level will change and that the 25,000 points will be increased?
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:10 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
As it's being touted as a 6 :-: Hotel, I'd think 25K will be a distant memory for an Award stay there...plus I'll bet by the end of the first day that reservations opens for it, there won't be any availability for award inventory for the first 3 months, such will be the expected level of interest IMHO.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Macken7

Also when the Sydney Hilton opens again dozen’t it seem reasonable to think that the category level will change and that the 25,000 points will be increased?
I imagine it will be near top award category. Indeed, for 6 months or a year that Hotel will be hard to book a REVENUE room in. I predict you will not see a room sell for under $A300 or so a night with tax.

The Bizoids used to Sheraton, Westin, Radisson, Marriott, Hyatt and Intercontinental here will flock to Hilton to check it out.

Those of us on FT who signed for that "Diamond Club" will effectively be getting a suite for that ~$A300 inc tax, and have a ton of other useful vouchers and freebies and discounts left over.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=381925&page=1

I tried again to book it for OzFest today, and got told they are STILL not accepting bookings.

Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was typing whilst QF WP was posting - but it seems we had the same thoughts.

Glen
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:18 am

Smile Sydney - Is everyone in the "DARK"?

Does anyone have inormation on the OPENING DATE for HOTEL STAYS at the newly remodeled Sydney Hilton. Hilton website worthless, Diamond Desk no help, individual hotel website obscure.

I am planning a trip in early July and would love to have an opportunity to stay at this newly remodeled property. I am currently booked for a week at the Grace Hotel, which I here is below the "Hilton standard", somewhat DREARY, and not accommodating with the "Diamond Perks".

Any Aussies out there?, Hilton employees "Down Under"?, or anyone with some inside scoop?

Much appreciated
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Bumping this.

What is the problem with this hotel? Why is it so impossible for Hilton to say when the d@mn thing is going to open? They could have built 5 new hotels in the time they are taking to "remodel" this one.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 3:09 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
sydney Hilton is expected to open either in july or last quarter 2005

Hi there,

firstly, the title of the threat is a bit dubious as it couldnt be reasonably seen that its about Sydney Hilton.

As to the question, there has been discussion about this before, unfortunately due to an unfortunate stop work order by the local authorities brought about by an abestoes scare, work didnt go on for some time.

It is on track. I just walked by the building 2 hours ago and the exterior is coming up with the new Hilton logo.

The property is expected to be handed over to management around April/May period for a soft opening in June/July period. If you ask nicely, the reservation people has already started taking bookings for late june/July Month for the hotel but as always, nothing is guaranteed.

It is more likely that teh hotel will be open for a soft opening in July with a full scale openign in teh last quarter.

Recruitment for the hotel vacancies is in the last stage and everyone is gearing up for it.

In all probabilities, what i am writing above is more true than false.

But like all HHnour members and Diamond club members, it can be frustrating to have to wait for an uncertain event.

Hope this answers your question.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand why everyone bashes the Grace. I just did 2 Hilton award stays there and was treated very well as a Diamond. Upgrade to very nice refurbished rooms on both stays and given free breakfast all mornings for both myself and my father. Easy walking to just about anywhere in the central business district. It is only 2 blocks from the Hilton. Staff was very friendly. Even let me use the showers in the health club on morning of first check in as my room was not ready yet at 10:00 AM. Concierges helpful and knowledgable.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 8:55 am

Sydney Hilton Update

It's been around 6-8 weeks since the previous thread on when the Sydney Hilton is supposed to reopen. Any reliable updated information will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Actually I asked this a week or so ago. Got few answers, just apologists saying it is tough to say when a hotel will open. They keep falling back on the aesbestos thing that happened 2 years ago as an excuse as to why they can't accurately predict what every other building project on earth can. The latest I got was either July or 4th quarter, as if that makes a lick of sense. I don't know who is in charge of that project, perhaps a former united.com designer but it clearly has been mismanaged from the go. You would think someone at Hilton would step up and finally commit to something.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 6:50 am

Well going to hilton.com, shows the following: "This hotel is under renovation. It is not yet accepting reservations. It is scheduled to reopen in mid 2005." When I saw this before it would make reference to the first quarter. So a change of sorts in the information being provided, although not really more specific.

So I called the Hilton award redemption line and ended up making award reservation for the time being at the Grace for the end of July. When I had called before they did not have anything for points at the Grace. The helpful CSR did not have any additional information about the opening date for the Sydney Hilton. I do recall someone making a post that they were taking reservations, but the times I have tried the response was that they are not taking bookings.

It will be my first time in Sydney and looking forward to it.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:32 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Not sure how much in helps in trying to work out the timing of the reopening, but the Sydney Hilton is running recruitment sessions throughout April. Don't know how long the recruit/training process will take as information on that timeline is a bit on the non existant side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.