Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Ambassador Club,Delta FF,USAIR FF
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
Today's the day, finally! After many months of waiting, today I finally get to board my flight from JFK to MLE and then on to CR. I don't think I have ever traveled so light (a half-empty domestic-sized carry-on!) - not traveling with my ex- and all her beauty products really saves a lot of space (who knew?) lol

Hopefully I get a chance to thank Kat in person for her help in this forum, and maybe even meet some other FTers during cocktail hour etc... But above all, I hope to meet some whale sharks
W are right behind you - leaving to Chicago tonight - then ord-mle tomorrow. Feels like Christmas!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was told last year we could do unguided dives (Feb 13). We didn't. We're also AOW, so that may make a difference. And I have almost 500 dives, my dive buddy is up to 800.

I just looked at the dive center web site. It says that you can go unguided if you have 30 logged dives in the last 18 months. I'm doing about 40 dives a year, so I more than meet that criteria.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: OVER ENTITLED United 1K 2MM HHonors Diamond ICH Club Platinum Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by manneca
I was told last year we could do unguided dives (Feb 13). We didn't. We're also AOW, so that may make a difference. And I have almost 500 dives, my dive buddy is up to 800.

I just looked at the dive center web site. It says that you can go unguided if you have 30 logged dives in the last 18 months. I'm doing about 40 dives a year, so I more than meet that criteria.
Ah...that might explain it then. By mistake I left my dive logs, advanced card, and reg bag at home (with the regs). I couldn't prove I do 30+ dives per year. No big deal....the guided dives were very nice and the dive masters pointed out stuff I would have never seen, so I'm not upset.

The diving was awesome here. I couldn't believe how much the dives varied from site to site with respect to visibility, fish life and coral life. Some sights were full of soft coral while others had none. The currents ranged from none to ridiculous speed where you couldn't have stayed in place if you wanted to. The house reef (snorkeling) was one of the best snorkeling spots I have ever been to.

If anyone is on the fence about learning to dive before coming here, DO IT!

Regards,

Sail a Nacra
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
In one week I'll be there. Can't wait!
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by soccerguy985

They take you outside the atolls (at least on our trip) and you are bouncing in waves 6-8ft (at least we were) Even for advanced swimmers like my wife and I, it can be a challenge. I like your confidence in your kids, just be aware that the waves can be big. (Yes there were a lot of guests on our boat who thought they could swim) my wife and I had to rescue one couple because they couldn't swim and the guides couldn't get to them.

On the day we went our boat was rocking on all three axis, and it was better being in the water than on the boat (bad weather)
Is this typical diving conditions in February? I'm an intermediate diver, but don't like big swell.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:25 pm

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island

I just arrived at the island, and honestly I have been completely blown away by the beauty and the friendliness in the two hours I have been here (especially my host, the rather lovely Anna). my estandby came through, and sitting on the deck of the OWV #322, I can hand-on-heart say that it is the best use of $175 a night I have spent in a hotel, ever! I am off for my first swim before I crack open that lovely bottle of Bordeaux they just gave to me
Old Jan 19, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
I just arrived at the island, and honestly I have been completely blown away by the beauty and the friendliness in the two hours I have been here (especially my host, the rather lovely Anna). my estandby came through, and sitting on the deck of the OWV #322, I can hand-on-heart say that it is the best use of $175 a night I have spent in a hotel, ever! I am off for my first swim before I crack open that lovely bottle of Bordeaux they just gave to me
Very well spent. OWV available for your whole duration?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by beachfan
Is this typical diving conditions in February? I'm an intermediate diver, but don't like big swell.
it is more dependent on each unique dive sites
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I've probably logged close to a 100 dives at Rangali, only ever during late February and March, and I can honestly say I have never experienced 6-8ft swells. Have had some roaring currents on some dives, but the surface has always been fairly calm.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:50 am

$175 for standby e-upgrade for OWV? That's damn cheap. Mine for an upcoming stay shows:

$350/night King Dlx Beach Villa with Plunge Pool
$480/night King Superior Water Villa; Sunset facing with Jacuzzi
$650/night King Water Villa with private spa treatment room with Jacuzzi
$800/night King Dlx Water Villa; Sunset facing large bedroom with Jacuzzi
$1600/night Premier Water Villa-large space with sun deck and infinity pool

Did you negotiate it at check-in?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by mileageking
$175 for standby e-upgrade for OWV? That's damn cheap. Mine for an upcoming stay shows:

$350/night King Dlx Beach Villa with Plunge Pool
$480/night King Superior Water Villa; Sunset facing with Jacuzzi
$650/night King Water Villa with private spa treatment room with Jacuzzi
$800/night King Dlx Water Villa; Sunset facing large bedroom with Jacuzzi
$1600/night Premier Water Villa-large space with sun deck and infinity pool

Did you negotiate it at check-in?
I was also offered the $175 e-standby (Nor1) upgrade from standard beach villa to standard over water villa. Perhaps it depends on when you're going or when you booked. We booked last March for this March.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by LA_FadeAway
I was also offered the $175 e-standby (Nor1) upgrade from standard beach villa to standard over water villa. Perhaps it depends on when you're going or when you booked. We booked last March for this March.
cool, thank you
Old Jan 19, 2014, 4:34 pm

Conrad Maldives Rangali Island

The $175 was offered to me back in March of last year when I booked. Right now the resort is at roughly 75% capacity, going back up to the 90s next week. I have my OWV for the whole five nights. No manta rays yet, but maybe I will have more luck tomorrow.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 4:37 pm

for the person that asked about prescription medications a few pages back, I can safely reply now back in the states. I did not notice the ban on psychotropic drugs til the day before arrival when my wife was looking at other stuff. We were travelling with our two young kids. Oldest has extreme ADHD and is on two of the banned drugs. She cannot function or sleep without them so I was taking them regardless. Between her meds, my wifes ra meds and general just in case pain relievers, I had about 15 bottles of pills in my backpack. I never got a second look at screening and don't think the scanner was even looking at the screen. Your results could vary though. We probably won't go back though just in case.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Deepd1ver7
I've probably logged close to a 100 dives at Rangali, only ever during late February and March, and I can honestly say I have never experienced 6-8ft swells. Have had some roaring currents on some dives, but the surface has always been fairly calm.
Thanks!

Were the ones with big currents drift dives?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.