Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

100% Hampton Guarantee - YA NO!! Customer Service says sorry too bad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE

Made a three day reservation at the Hampton Inn Cleveland Airport - Tiedeman Road for this weekend ALSC games!

I arrived and was put in a smoking room, main floor by the outside door and hallway intersection. Apparently this is was the reservation, so after 30 years and a long time Diamond, I now smoke? Jessica at the front desk was great, they sprayed the room and placed an air purifier in the room. I had problems sleeping and am stuffed up when i woke up this morning. I could not get another room last night anywhere as the President is in town and the ball game. Did rebook at the Garden inn for today and tomorrow.

I did not expect to pay as I did not enjoy my stay and had to take Benalyn to take car of the allergenic reaction to the smoke. The duty manager said sorry, but it was booked as smoking, sorry!

I called the Diamond line, and she said it was booked as a smoking room, sorry nothing they can do. But i paid 100% and was not 100% satisfied. Ya no, sorry, but thanks for being a Hilton Honours member for so many years and a Diamond member.

Not impress Hilton!!!
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SWA A-List, AA Platinum
What does your reservation confirmation email say "Smoking" or "Non-Smoking"? If the confirmation email says Non-Smoking yet when you showed up the hilton computer system was Smoking you should have a valid claim as someone updated your reservation without your consent.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I'll go first: So was it originally booked as smoking?

Oops - swimdallas beat me to the punch.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
It's done! I called back and had a wonderful agent with a very pleasant demeanor and she looked after me. So the first agent was probably having a bad day or whatever, the second agent recognized my loyalty and the situation and quickly and efficiently without question provided a very satisfactory resolution. She made me smile also, very nice job in customer service recovery. ^

To answer those the two questions, my profile states non smoking....the reservation shows smoking. No one person did anything wrong, system issue?

No matter, Hilton came through, but i learned that you cant accept the status quo when you are not happy. I spend way too much of my own money (not corporate) to be unhappy!
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
To answer those the two questions, my profile states non smoking....the reservation shows smoking. No one person did anything wrong, system issue?
So my preferences say non-smoking. And started a reservation at that property. The search offered me both smoking and non-smoking rooms. I would expect that me actually selecting a smoking room would override what is in my preferences (because I made the explicit choice, perhaps because I am for once traveling with a smoker?) similar to how my choosing a two-queen room would override my preference of a King bed (say, in case I am traveling with someone I don't want to share a bed with).
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
It's done! I called back and had a wonderful agent with a very pleasant demeanor and she looked after me. So the first agent was probably having a bad day or whatever, the second agent recognized my loyalty and the situation and quickly and efficiently without question provided a very satisfactory resolution. She made me smile also, very nice job in customer service recovery. ^

No matter, Hilton came through, but i learned that you cant accept the status quo when you are not happy. I spend way too much of my own money (not corporate) to be unhappy!
Again, what did your confirmation show? The online system can be adjusted and you will only see what is left regardless what you booked. This has been reported before depending upon what the hotel wants. HH should be able to look at the history to see if someone made a change. It is very important you review your email confirmations and keep them around till after the stay and all charges look right.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:02 pm

my profile states non smoking....the reservation shows smoking. No one person did anything wrong, system issue?
No one person did anything wrong? Well, one person - you - did something wrong by booking a smoking room. System issue? No. Guest issue. Regardless of what's in your profile, you have a responsibility to book the room type you want. You didn't do that. Seems pretty clear.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
In the last 10-15 years, I don't ever remember being offered a choice of a smoking room. Is that a regional thing? I just checked 4 upcoming reservations in California and Florida, and they don't offer smoking rooms as far as I can tell.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
No one person did anything wrong? Well, one person - you - did something wrong by booking a smoking room. System issue? No. Guest issue. Regardless of what's in your profile, you have a responsibility to book the room type you want. You didn't do that. Seems pretty clear.
Sure, fair statement, I am a non smoker and most hotels are non smoking so i automatically assume that the system would always choose non smoking. So did i make a mistake? i checked my reservations and it stated smoking, did i notice this, no as i always stay in non smoking rooms in non smoking hotels.

So after my rant, i guess the big finger is pointing at me! Am i learning a very important lesson, yes! Never assume, always make sure the reservation is correct no matter how many i have made over the decades and like Trump, never admit you are wrong

Hilton still came through, i am only loyal to Hilton and i always exceed the minimum requirements for Diamond, so this was great of them to make me happy, even if it "may" be my fault for assuming!

So for those who want to say i was wrong, it appears that I "may" have been a victim of an oversight!
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:48 pm
cjd

Thumbs up

Sure, fair statement, I am a non smoker and most hotels are non smoking so i automatically assume that the system would always choose non smoking. So did i make a mistake? i checked my reservations and it stated smoking, did i notice this, no as i always stay in non smoking rooms in non smoking hotels.

So after my rant, i guess the big finger is pointing at me! Am i learning a very important lesson, yes! Never assume, always make sure the reservation is correct no matter how many i have made over the decades and like Trump, never admit you are wrong

Hilton still came through, i am only loyal to Hilton and i always exceed the minimum requirements for Diamond, so this was great of them to make me happy, even if it "may" be my fault for assuming!

So for those who want to say i was wrong, it appears that I "may" have been a victim of an oversight!
Easy mistake to make. Like you, I wrongly assumed that all hotel rooms these days are non smoking. Would also hate to get a smoking room. Have bad memories of getting those rooms years ago and asking for room changes because of the terrible lingering smells. Great that Hilton sorted it all out for you to your satisfaction.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by ehallison
In the last 10-15 years, I don't ever remember being offered a choice of a smoking room. Is that a regional thing? I just checked 4 upcoming reservations in California and Florida, and they don't offer smoking rooms as far as I can tell.
Not sure about Florida (but probably a quick check on google would find out), but California has no smoking room at all. You can't smoke inside any public buildings. It always seem strange to me when I actually see someone smoking in a restaurant when I travel.

I actually had the smoking room thing happened to me too. I don't know if I actually picked the room or it just assigned one to me. But when I check in, the FDC actually asked me.. "do you want a smoking room because you are booked into one". I was able to get it swapped out to non-smoking.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I'm pretty sure that OLCI for a Doubletree in MA that I stayed at last night offered me smoking and non smoking rooms, even though I don't have smoking selected on the preferences page.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
i checked my reservations and it stated smoking, did i notice this, no as i always stay in non smoking rooms in non smoking hotels.
Again, being as specific as I can, when you say you "check my reservations", did you check it online or the original email confirmation.

What is shown online can be changed after the fact and you'd never know it. If your email confirmation shows a smoking room, they, yes, you did make a mistake. Also, with some properties (obviously) offering smoking rooms, it's wise to confirm when checking in, even if in an area that is non-smoking. I love catching a restaurant hostess by surprise when I request a non-smoking table.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 4:06 pm

I have non-smoking set in my profile as well and I see smoking rooms all the time when making a reservation. The key is not to depend on your profile, but rather read the room description (it always say smoking or non smoking after the bed type).
Old Oct 14, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, this is a very important item, was your original reservation confirmation for a smoking room? If so then you can't really complain and should not have received any compensation for being put in the room you reserved. But if the original confirmation showed non-smoking and someone changed it to smoking then yes, you are entitled to compensation. You should never get compensation for your own mistakes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.