Search

Resort Fee for Award Stays?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Thanks for the helpful responses!
Old Nov 28, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: SWA, UA, Delta, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Currently staying at HWV on award stay and NOT being charged for resort fee, however we are charged $17 a day for self-parking
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Traditionally resort fees were not charged on reward stays. Over the last year a few people have reported being charged resort fees when on reward stays other than premium rewards. You should probably check with the property. I was not charged resort fees on a couple of reward stays in the last year.

Some elite members (mostly diamonds)have reported they have gotten properties to waive resort fees on paid stays by arguing that most of the things they are paying for by the resort fee are already benefits of status.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Most resorts charge the fee, however, many have successfully argued out of them at the front desk...better chance if you're Diamond...YMMV.
On reward stays? The Bentley South Beach, Casa Marina and Grand Wailea all waived them for me this year and I don't think I have ever read here about them being charged on a reward stay.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
resort fee covered by honors points

If you use hilton honors points at El Conquistador in Puerto Rico, is the 18% resort fee covered? If not and you pay cash, how do they determine the $ value for the room?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by lattegirl13
If you use hilton honors points at El Conquistador in Puerto Rico, is the 18% resort fee covered? If not and you pay cash, how do they determine the $ value for the room?
Resort fees are typically not charged or collected on an all points reward stay at a Hilton property. I was not charged a resort fee when I had a reward stay there last year.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Resort fees are typically not charged or collected on an all points reward stay at a Hilton property. I was not charged a resort fee when I had a reward stay there last year.
+1. I make sure to keep my Diamond status active and plenty of points in the HHonors account because of this. It's a huge point of differentiation between Hhonors and other reward programs - paying the resort fee for a redemption at other brands really irks me. So, enjoy Puerto Rico and relax, there won't be a resort fee.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by lattegirl13
You pay the 18%. .18 x $0 = $0
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sleasure
It's a huge point of differentiation between Hhonors and other reward programs - paying the resort fee for a redemption at other brands really irks me.
Absolutely. An unpublicized but really excellent HH perk that keeps it my favorite program. Marriott will charge you $25-30 per night.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Kacee
Absolutely. An unpublicized but really excellent HH perk that keeps it my favorite program. Marriott will charge you $25-30 per night.
An even better benefit would be if Hilton waived it on ALL stays for diamonds. That is one fee that really irritates me.

At least Hilton provides breakfast at resort properties.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
An even better benefit would be if Hilton waived it on ALL stays for diamonds.
Why not just give you free rooms? Or even better, pay you to grace the property with your Diamond presence?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Kacee
Why not just give you free rooms? Or even better, pay you to grace the property with your Diamond presence?
I think it's a reasonable request seeing the amount of $ and nights you need for diamond. If Hilton is waiving it for people who have status by just having a credit card on a rewards stay, I think it's reasonable to get it waived for a diamond on a paid stay.

My issue with resort fees, is that most of the items included with that fee are already suppose to be perks to golds and diamond's anyway.

And it's not just diamonds that complain. When the Tropicana in Vegas first became a DT, they waived the resort fee for Diamond's and not Gold's and there were several upset gold's complaining the fee wasn't being waived for them
Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
An even better benefit would be if Hilton waived it on ALL stays for diamonds. That is one fee that really irritates me.
+1 Especially at hotels like the Trop in Vegas where every item in the resort fee is included as Diamond benefit anyway.

I was told by the Bentley in Miami who use to waive the fee for diamonds that they were told by corporate they could no longer waive it. Not sure why. At least the Bentley compensates for it by giving out a better breakfast benefit to diamonds. I wouldn't have as big of a beef paying it if the properties that charged it gave out a full breakfast buffet like the Bentley.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Elite / Hilton Honors Diamond
I was not charged the resort fee on a points stay at the HGI Dorado Beach resort in Puerto Rico last March.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:49 am

It was nice in Hawaii, as it runs at $25-30/night at other SPG and Marriott properties. I do realize last year some things were devalued, and some properties cut down on certain benefits, but $25/night resort fee is a nice perk... I am sure it will be going away with some future enhancement.

Best,

PedroNY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.