Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Honors benefits on points booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb

I'd like to book a room for my parents using points sat in my account. My dad in HHonors Diamond - is he going to receive Diamond benefits on redemption booking? I can't find a way to enter his HHonors number to the reservation.

Alternatively, if I book two rooms - one for myself and one for my parents, are we going to receive Diamond benefits on both rooms (both dad and I are Diamond members)? I realise the easiest way would be to make two separate bookings, but I'd like to credit points to my account.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 9:38 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by wmaciej
I'd like to book a room for my parents using points sat in my account. My dad in HHonors Diamond - is he going to receive Diamond benefits on redemption booking? I can't find a way to enter his HHonors number to the reservation.

Alternatively, if I book two rooms - one for myself and one for my parents, are we going to receive Diamond benefits on both rooms (both dad and I are Diamond members)? I realise the easiest way would be to make two separate bookings, but I'd like to credit points to my account.
Well, when you use your points for somebody else (I assume via the call center) then the agent just changes your name to your dad's name, but your HH number remains in the reservation since that's where the points came from. You can't enter 2 HH numbers on a reservation, unless you add a manual note I guess.

So if your account is Diamond, then the hotel will see your dad as Diamond regardless of his actual status, or even if he doesn't have an HH account in his name at all.

If you are not Diamond, but the guest is, then sometimes hotels are willing to change the HH number to the actual account of the person staying, and then they get the status benefits.

Sometimes the hotel won't and then the guest would only get the benefits of the HH account the points came from (i.e. free wifi for statusless)...

If you book 2 rooms with your account, you personally stay, plus there is a Diamond in the other room, I can't see why a hotel wouldn't give benefits to both rooms. I assume this is for a bog-standard Hilton not resorts or such which have funny rules.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wmaciej

Online you need to be signed in to use your points so yes you can only book under your own name and add parent as named second guest, and hotel will not know of any HH elite status of such second guest.

Official way to use your points to book a room for 'Parent / A N Other' is to phone HH Desk who will debit points from your account and create award reservation in parents/others name, (and include parents/others HH info etc, so hotel will know upfront parent is HHD). Hotel then sees and treats as being booked by parents/other in first place.

If booking 2x rooms (points or paid) where HH Elite occupies second room, I advise doing this, as not all hotels go the extra mile and provide elite bennies for a 2nd room (not an HH benefit).

Some hotels do, others give some but not all bennies, and it helps if you are a regular at the hotel, eg as booking HHD, Hilton Rotterdam give my second paid-rate room a lesser upgrade, lounge access, b/f for both occupants of booked second room which my non-status friend(s) is/are very greatful for.
(Not sure if Rotterdam would be so generous for points booking of my 2nd room though !)

HH benefits are due based on HH status of booking person, when booker actually occupies booked room, and not eg 2nd named guest status bennies if 2nd guest has the higher HH status.
If that booking person has HH elite status then benefits apply to just the one room they occupy and not to 2nd/3rd etc rooms even if HH elite stays in extra rooms.

In practise hotels will provide bennies based on HH status of occupant of second room if mention+proved at checkin, but hotel would not know HH status until checkin time, by which time foc elite room upgrades may be exhausted (as often hotels plan/allocate upgrades upfront at 7am on arrival day)
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Thanks for your responses, guys. I've booked the rooms from my account and emailed the hotel to add my dad's HH account number. That has wiped off my number, but a couple of emails later we've resolved the issue by cancelling my room and leaving the other under my dad's name and HH account. I've then booked a room for myself separately and am ready to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.