FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   [ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1740098-archive-2015-waldorf-astoria-new-york-us-ny.html)

ontheroad Oct 24, 2000 4:26 pm

This Hhonors Gold had the experience of staying @ the Waldorf last week.

As a Gold, I received 2 free water bottles from the in-room bar and 2 free drink coupons. It's a good thing, since I could blow my per diem on just the above. No lounge access, appearantly the lounge is too small.

Prices at the Waldorf are expensive! A bagel and juice room service breakfast would have cost $34 (including fees & tip). I strongly recommend Esso Bagels as an alternative on 3rd & 51st, only a block away.

I happened to be there on the night of the Alfred E. someone dinner. Major figures were there: Bush, Gore, the mayor, a couple Trump ex-wives, the Cardinal, etc. I had to get frisked and searched just to enter the hotel! With everyone milling about in evening wear, I felt naked in my business casual attire. I sat at the Parrot, sipped my $14-but-free Cosmopolitan, and people watched.

The spa is clean, but small. My room was clean, but smaller. The bathroom was about the same size as one on USAir.

For a business traveler with Hhonors status, the New York Hilton is a better place -- larger rooms & spa, lounge access, more amenities. But, just once, you got to experience the Waldorf.

wigstheone Oct 24, 2000 6:40 pm

Ask to see the room before you accept it. There are miniscule rooms in the Towers, not just the hotel, and depending on what street the room faces (and floor), the street noise levels can be dramatically different. If you are in the Towers, introduce yourself to the doormen, as they can be a lifesaver when it comes to getting taxis.

sfpaul900 Oct 29, 2000 11:29 am

Although nobody asked me, I think you were wrong to be parading around in shorts in New York to begin with, let alone in the Waldorf. New York City is not the beach, shorts are inappropriate for just about every place you would go to. Whatever happened to dressing in a manner befitting our surroundings? You don't see people wearing shorts in Asia or Europe (except for American tourists)? I am 43 years old and haven't worn shorts since I was 5. I live in San Francisco and spend about 100 days a year in New York and the only people you see in those cities in shorts are the tourists. You shouldn't fault the Waldorf for expecting their guests to dress properly. In London, you would not even be allowed in the lobby of the Connaught or Claridges without a coat and (after 5pm) a tie.
Go ahead, let me have it, but that's the way I feel.
Paul

Gaucho100K Oct 30, 2000 2:43 am

Then let me have it also, since I strongly support sfPaul900 on the dress code issue. There are places for casual attire, and there are places for formal attire. Lets all remember that our rights end where the rights of others begin.

------------------
Gaucho100K

MisterNice Oct 30, 2000 5:38 am

quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...In London, you would not even be allowed in the lobby of the Connaught or Claridges without a coat and (after 5pm) a tie....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And FWIW the very very nice-n-proper London Ritz Carlton requires the same male dress code but starting each day at.....NOON!!

ontheroad Oct 30, 2000 11:48 am

sfpaul, I fully agree with not wearing shorts @ Waldorf. Don't know if your comments were directed my way, but I believe that business casual attire is appropriate in the U.S. today for most settings. I do not have a problem closing a multimillion dollar deal in Dockers and a button-down shirt.

There are places where I would always wear a jacket -- LeCirque quickly comes to mind. They have a clear dress code policy. The Waldorf does not.

Fly Boy Oct 30, 2000 3:35 pm

I am planning a leisure trip to New York with my partner this winter, and am booked to stay in the Waldorf. I have found the various reflections on this hotel to be interesting.

What is Essex House? Is it it a Hilton property - and if not is it affiliated with another chain? Is the Waldorf a bad choice of hotel to show someone New York for the first time? Thanks for the insight...

Djlawman Oct 30, 2000 6:09 pm

Fly Boy--The Waldorf is the ONLY place to show someone NYC for the first time. It is the quintessential NY City hotel. It is an icon of the city's greatness--one of the real classics in town. Remember, this is where the President (EVERY President) stays when they are in town. Everyone should stay there at least once. Good location. And you will get good treatment there if you are an HHonors member. I am gold and always get very good room and great treatment by the staff. I stay there several times a year. Enjoy your trip.

Djlawman

hnechets Oct 30, 2000 8:23 pm

We'll quit wearing shorts at the Waldorf when tourists down here quit wearing black socks with dress shoes and shorts on the beach.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

tmorse6570 Oct 31, 2000 2:11 am

Waldorf-Astoria

delete

doc Oct 31, 2000 6:08 am

Yes, do it and try Ess a Bagel! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

MisterNice Oct 31, 2000 6:22 am

Generally you will NOT be charged for a bagel or a cocktail etc unless you order such. Plan on getting nicely socked by the NYC onerous hotel type taxes though (approx 20%). I hear the sweeties frequenting the nice Peacock Lounge are REALLY pricey but the show is free. The mixed nuts are usually fresh-n-free.

ontheroad Oct 31, 2000 8:06 am

The Parrot is fun for people watching, so it may be worth it to get that $4 coke / $10 cocktail / $17 specialty cocktail.

All the restaurants are excellent for atmosphere and people watching, but you can get better food and value at nearby restaurants. For example, Bull & Bear has good steak, but Smith & Wollensky a couple blocks away is better.

Room Service prices are the highest of any Hilton property stateside. doc mentioned Ess A Bagel -- that's a great place for a true NY bagel breakfast.

Don't eat there are if you are on budget, but enjoy the experience. Expect to pay room taxes of 13.25% of the base rate + $2 per night.

MHO

kokonutz Oct 31, 2000 1:46 pm

I've paid twice that to stay at the Marriot Marquis.

In fact, $179 for any room in NYC, much less the Grande Dame of hotels...well, that's what I call a no-brainer!

rrz518 Oct 31, 2000 4:39 pm

It is a really gorgeous hotel; however, hearing all of the complaints that the higher ups in the Hilton Honors world can't get access to their lounge or the lousy attitude regarding their Towers area kind of suggests that this hotel is rather imperious. BTW, I have worn JEANS in the place, but no nasty looks or attitudes. The staff that I encountered was pretty nice. Lest I forget, it was featured in the original "Out of towners". Great film for a lot of reasons, particularly when they arrive at 2am in a sellout situation and in a city wide transit strike. Although no rooms available, they offered to put the couple up in the managers office! Never had that experience before (hopefully never will).