FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   [ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1740098-archive-2015-waldorf-astoria-new-york-us-ny.html)

PHL Aug 21, 2007 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Condition One (Post 8267263)
I had booked a 1 bedroom suite, and when I checked in, wasn't upgraded. I then asked the front desk clerk, who managed to find me a luxury 1 bedroom suite

Why did you expect, or even hope, to get an upgrade on an already paid/confirmed suite?

That was a very generous receptionist, because getting a luxury suite upgrade on an already paid suite is an exception to the gold/diamond upgrade privileges. The difference between a 1 BR suite and a 1 BR luxury suite at the W=A is significant.

Actually, suite upgrades aren't even a privilege when you pay for a standard room so I never understand why people complain so much that they don't get a suite when they pay for a deluxe.

wjudge Aug 21, 2007 8:40 am

I have 2 recent experiences - one on award, one paid.

Two weeks ago, on award, called the diamond desk to request an upgrade, was given a mini-suite on the 27th(top) floor, 2725, with an amazing view of the Chrysler Building. Large room with a sitting area, large closet, and large bathroom. We arrived on Friday, and departed on Monday.

This past weekend, on a paid stay, called the diamond desk again, and was told I was booked into a King Executive room, was given 1433, a corner room with a view of Park and Lex. We arrived on Thursday, departed on Sunday.

The W=A appeared to be sold out on Thursday night until Wednesday pm, when I was finally able to add Thursday night to our reservation.

Overall I have been pleased with their upgrades and rooms, and the entire experience with staying there.

Condition One Aug 21, 2007 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by PHL (Post 8268268)
Why did you expect, or even hope, to get an upgrade on an already paid/confirmed suite?

That was a very generous receptionist, because getting a luxury suite upgrade on an already paid suite is an exception to the gold/diamond upgrade privileges. The difference between a 1 BR suite and a 1 BR luxury suite at the W=A is significant.

With Hiltons in general, I agree with not expecting suite upgrades. But at the Waldorf, it seems that the general rule of thumb is a one class room upgrade, depending on availability. It's been documented several times in other threads.

I wanted to be guaranteed a suite, so I booked one. What I was hoping for (but not expecting), was an upgrade to a nicer/larger suite or a luxury suite. Prior to checking in, I saw that more than one luxury suite was available for the two nights I was staying. So one would hope that the Waldorf would provide that upgrade to a Diamond member, especially if the rooms were going to be empty anyway.

I should also note that when I checked in, I was told that I was upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite. So maybe somebody thought my reservation had already been upgraded?

Flying Lawyer Aug 21, 2007 1:46 pm

Maybe because the one category upgrade INLC. suites is a Diamond Perk according to the TOS exclusively for the W=A?

Actually, suite upgrades aren't even a privilege when you pay for a standard room so I never understand why people complain so much that they don't get a suite when they pay for a deluxe.

May I propose to make yourself familiar with the W=A Diamond upgrade rules?

Originally Posted by Condition One (Post 8269611)
With Hiltons in general, I agree with not expecting suite upgrades. But at the Waldorf, it seems that the general rule of thumb is a one class room upgrade, depending on availability. It's been documented several times in other threads.

Right, and it is not only a rule of the thumb but stated in the TOS:

For Golds:

At the Waldorf= Astoria® Hotel, Gold VIP members will receive all Silver VIP benefits and their choice of one of the following benefits: - One category room upgrade (excluding suites and subject to availability)....
For Diamonds

At the Waldorf= Astoria® Hotel, Diamond VIP members will receive all Silver VIP benefits and their choice of one of the following benefits: - One category room upgrade (subject to availability).....

Do you notice the small difference: For Golds a one category upgrade excluding suites, for Diamonds a general one category upgrade subject to availiability.

PHL Aug 21, 2007 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 8270298)
Do you notice the small difference: For Golds a one category upgrade excluding suites, for Diamonds a general one category upgrade subject to availiability.

Yes, I see it now. It's been a while since I was Diamond (although will be again in a few more stays). As a side note, there are other upgrades at the W=A from a 1BR suite they could have provided as well in lieu of a luxury suite. This could include a 26th floor concierge level 1BR suite, or even a bump up to a similarly sized Waldorf Towers suite (although this is rare).

By the strict letter of the upgrade policy, does this mean someone who books the 2nd nicest/largest suite in a hotel which happens to be 500 sq. ft. should get upgraded to a 3000 sq. foot presidential suite if that's the next-nicest "room" available? Doubt it.

Flying Lawyer Aug 21, 2007 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by PHL (Post 8270630)
By the strict letter of the upgrade policy, does this mean someone who books the 2nd nicest/largest suite in a hotel which happens to be 500 sq. ft. should get upgraded to a 3000 sq. foot presidential suite if that's the next-nicest "room" available? Doubt it.

Last month I booked a WT One-Bedroom-Premier-Suite and ended up in a Grand-Suite. Pretty nice. Well, there are a ton of levels between the 500 sqft. and 3000 sqft suites. However, the Grand Suite I had, had about 350 sqm (don't ask me for the size in feet).

PHL Aug 21, 2007 7:47 pm

1 square meter = 10.76 square feet.
350 sm's = 3767 sq. ft.

That's pretty big.

Flying Lawyer Aug 21, 2007 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by PHL (Post 8272239)
1 square meter = 10.76 square feet.
350 sm's = 3767 sq. ft.

That's pretty big.

It was. Living room 11 * 11 meters. Dining room 12 * 8 meters. Bedroom 6 * 6 Meters and some smaller rooms incl. a full kitchen in the "service area" with an extra entrance. Even the piano in the living room and the two big flat screens looked a little bit lost because the rooms were so big. 36H was the name of that game.

alect Aug 31, 2007 4:19 pm

Quick report from my stay this week. I contatced the Diamond reception in advance with my preferences. I ended up getting Room 2225 - I was told this was a "King Executive" - not sure which of the above it falls into. But it was definitely the biggest hotel room I have had in NYC. It must have been 400sqft - though not separate rooms for the lounge and bedroom - there was a separate entry and "corridor" where the closet was.

Anyway, got 2 free breakfasts per night - I was told it included both restaurants (Oscar's and some other one) and also room service. I used it on room service, and it covered the cost, service charge and tip I added. There was a problem with the breakfast on both mornings I ordered it - I just gave up after that.

My visits to the Fitness Center (which is quite good) were not on my bill - rightly so. Surprisingly, also despite having been happy to sign up and pay for 3 nights of WiFi, it did not later appear on my bill.

All the staff were great, the location was perfect for me. I was really happy with the stay and will be back.

domnl Oct 7, 2007 10:27 am

keep Waldorf astoria res or book new?

Hi,
I booked some family days in Waldorf Astoria NYC astor suite around christmas at 'full fare' but is there a way to make a new reservation for less? Normal booking sites do not offer the suite option or I might not have seen it?

Thanks for help;)

jfe Oct 11, 2007 7:14 pm

I just booked a 3 night reward stay.

What can I expect as a diamond?

$55 for parking a day :eek:, I can park at the ELP airport for a week for $27 :p

PHL Oct 24, 2007 9:33 am

The web site has a typo. The parking is actually $45. Has been for at least the last 5 years, so a price increase may be forthcoming. But that $55 rate has been on their web site for a while.

As a Diamond on an award (1 night), I got a nice mini suite (room 2121). You could request a minisuite on floors 21/22/23/24/25/27 (not 26). But as a Diamond, there is no obligation on their part to upgrade you to such a room. It really will depend on the capacity on your 3 nights. This hotel has been slammed with extremely high occupancy at $500+ rates for STANDARD rooms in the last several months.

MorganB Mar 2, 2008 10:11 am

Hello all,

I have booked a reward stay at the Waldorf=Astoria for 6 nights for 360,000 pts (OUCH). I am a Gold member and hope to get a decent room. Based on my reading of various threads, booking a basic room can lead to disappointment, is there anyway I can hope to get an above average room?

I have read many posts stating that Diamonds get nice upgrades thanks to the wonderful Diamond Desk but I am unfortunately not a diamond. I have found little in regards to golds in the threads beyond perhaps that golds don't often get upgrades. Is it possible to ask to pay up to a better room at check in even though I am on a reward stay?

I have picked the Waldorf=Astoria for it's architecture, location, history and the brunch at Peacock Alley. I understand it is an old hotel with over 1,200 rooms/suites and will be happy with what I get but just hoping to improve the odds of a better room :).

I have searched quite a bit over the past 3 days for information , have read all posts from 2005 forward in this thread and have read the room guide (thanks for that!) as well as the general new york hotel thread.

Any advice would be welcome.

MorganB Mar 20, 2008 5:50 pm

Well since no one seems to have an answer to my questions I will answer them myself as I have completed my stay.

Upon check-in I asked if I could buy up to a better room as I was only allowed to book a basic room with points. I was told that normally i could but that the hotel was fully booked. However , the agent said they would give me a nice room. He seemed to put some effort into it, consulting the computer screen and floor maps a few times before deciding on a room. I was offered the option of 1,000 bonus points, a coupon for two drinks or breakfast every morning at Oscars. I chose the breakfast. I was also given two coupons for mineral water out of the mini bar.

The room was 1201. It was a very nice sized or even one could say large room by new york standards. It had an entry hall as well as a walk in closet. It was fully remodeled and resembled the photos on the waldorf website. The bathroom was marble and renovated as well. It was a bit small with a shower only. The ceilings were very high and the bed very comfortable. I was very very pleased with the room. I am not sure if this was an upgrade or not for my gold status and no mention of an upgrade was mentioned. There was no fax in the room so it doesnt seem like it was the better grade room.

The common areas of the hotel were beautiful. I enjoyed exploring the various lobbies and spent a bit of time there using the free wireless internet as the internet in the room was 15$ per day.

Breakfast was good and had a lot of choice. Upgrades to the hot breakfast are now 6$ but I found plenty on the cold side.

Peakcock alley buffet on sunday was excellent. Lots of gourmet treats like lobster, leg of lamb, oysters etc as well as the brunch classics.

I found the hotel service to be very good. I never really had any special needs so I didnt test it too much. Check-in and out were efficient and pleasant. Maid service was excellent with two services per day. The turndown service included refreshing of towels and toiletries.

Although I burned alot of points I don't regret my stay one bit!

Bembel-Terrorist Mar 21, 2008 11:48 am

Thanks’ for the report. I’m there next weekend, but not on points. Your room seems to be the same room I got in JAN. They called my room also a "nice" room, these seems to be the renovated rooms. Hope to get these one as well next week.