FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   [ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1740098-archive-2015-waldorf-astoria-new-york-us-ny.html)

InHoc Dec 17, 2001 7:18 am

I, too, have had problems at this property with lounge / breakfast, as a Diamond.

ontheroad Dec 20, 2001 9:03 pm

Welcome to FT, FrontDeskOne!

There are many threads on the Waldorf. Do a search and find them. Basically:
- The Waldorf has it's own database, and gives preference to people who stay there frequently.
- Golds don't get breakfast (with exceptions if they raise a ruckus), but do get a bottle of water or 2 & drink coupons good at the restaurants, even for the $11 martinis.
- General rooms are small.

------------------
On the road,
In the air,
I enjoy travel
From here to there.

sabrina Jan 7, 2002 2:49 pm

Upgrade on award stay at W=A

Just wanted to report that I have just returned from a 1-night Point Stretcher stay at the Waldorf=Astoria. As Gold, was upgraded to 1BR suite by very pleasant reception attendant. Really enjoyed having 2 full baths in the suite -- it meant that my husband and I could get ready at the same time. Joy!

-Sabrina

Tomphot Jan 22, 2002 6:45 am

The Waldorf=Astoria® Trip Reports and Reviews

My wife and I stayed at the Waldorf this past week using points.
Upon checkin, I asked what type of room I was getting as a Diamond. I was told that I had been upgraded to a Luxury King. I asked if that was the best she could do and she came back and gave me a corner executive king which turned out to be very nice. It was a large room with a dressing/sitting room that went to the bath.
Our room was not ready, so went out for a few hours. When we were given our keys, I also asked about my breakfast coupons as all I was given were 2 drink coupons (good for up to an $11 drink)
The girl told me that they usually give us a choice between breakfast or drinks. i asked for the latter and she let me keep the drinks as well. Breakfast was good for 2 continental breakfasts @ Oscars ($14.50 each)
All in all, a good stay considering previous posts that made my believe I would have to fight for my benefits.

PHL Feb 15, 2002 6:29 am

Waldorf Upgrades

I'll be staying at the Waldorf about 6-7 times in the coming months. I am a Diamond, so I'm wondering what kind of upgrade success I can expect. Does the Astoria ever upgrade anyone to the Waldorf Towers(technically a different hotel, on floors above 28).

doc Feb 15, 2002 8:12 am

"Does the Astoria ever upgrade anyone to the Waldorf Tower?"

Never stay never, but usually not, as the Waldorf Towers is a special case, separate hotel, now a Conrad as well, I believe.

Yet, as they say, you never know! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Personally, if the President is in town, as much as I like the place, I'd book away anyway! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

sabrina Feb 17, 2002 7:05 pm

I (HHonors Gold) was there in January for an award stay, and while I did not get upgraded to the Tower, I was upgraded to a very nice 2-room suite with 2 extra-large full baths. Nice upgrade for a $1.77 stay. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

-Sabrina

Droneklax Feb 17, 2002 11:30 pm

I am sitting in a Suite on the 32th floor in the Waldorf Towers, upgraded. I am Diamond. I had booked a regular room at the Waldorf. This is one superb room. Since I am travelling with my digital camera, here are a few photos:

The façade
The clock in the lobby
The mosaic in the lobby
The suite
The crystal ball They must have known what I do when I have some free time http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
The $ 50 reuben and Key lime pie. And yes, it's a perfectly cold Heini.
The view from the Suite
The view from the Suite 2
The bed

This is a great hotel. Part of the Leading Hotels of The World group, as I just found out. If you go back to my thread "The New-York Hilton: What a DUMP!" from a few weeks back, you'll see that I was not happy with my last Hilton stay in NY. And it does reinforce my contention that the NY Hilton is a place to avoid if you have a choice.

300-count sheets, turndown service, peaceful rooms, quiet A/C. You can almost hear Cole Porter's piano in the lobby. As a matter of fact, Cole Porter's piano is still there. Superb property, superb amenities, top-notch staff, got 2 drink coupons at check in, and the buffet this morning (oysters, crepes, pâtés, you name it...)...

[This message has been edited by Droneklax (edited 02-18-2002).]

UA1kMFR Feb 18, 2002 11:26 am

Wow, a good Hilton in Ny. Yes, the NY hilton and towers are a class a tourist hotel/dump with rude staff that could care less if you are there or at another hotel.

The Waldorf is grand. I'll be there next week.

------------------
UA1K,Plt. AA, M/M DL,
Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plt, Starwood Plt.

LemonThrower Feb 18, 2002 11:38 am

The rooms in the Waldorf vary considerably. Some basic rooms are nearly as large as suites, and then again some rooms are as small as the smallest NYC hotel room.

I think occupancy in NYC is down so you should do well.

PHL Feb 26, 2002 4:44 pm

I checked in this week and there are several big groups. They did provide me a nice corner King with ample workspace and a nice bathroom.

What I really liked was the Diamond desk with a dedicated agent to handle the check-in process. She was very professional, courteous and apologetic that there were no suites(without me asking).

In lieu of continental breakfast, however, she gave me 2 vouchers good for $11 each that entitle me to a beverage in any of the hotel restaurants. Is that normal, or should I have asked about a continental breakfast?

cordelli Feb 26, 2002 6:19 pm

I was there Saturday night, and as a gold they offered the drinks and a bottle or two of water (which probably cost $50 or so) but then found us a room on the 27th floor and took back the offers for the rest of the stuff. Didn't matter that much, I wouldn't have used the drink coupons and can get bottled water on my own.

Slowest check in of any hotel I've ever been nin, she spend literally 15 minutes pounding the keys trying to find a room so they wouldn't have to give up two bottles of water.

Nice and quite though once we got to the room.

Tomphot Feb 26, 2002 6:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PHL:

In lieu of continental breakfast, however, she gave me 2 vouchers good for $11 each that entitle me to a beverage in any of the hotel restaurants. Is that normal, or should I have asked about a continental breakfast?
</font>
They tried to do this to me as well a few weeks ago. When I asked, they said "Oh, we do one or the other, did you want breakfast?"
Yes, I want my breakfast. They gave my wife and I our breakfast coupons and let us keep our drink coupons as well.

lofly Feb 26, 2002 8:00 pm

I have an award stay in June at the Waldorf.
Do they normally give you an upgrade, breakfast coupons, or the keys to the Executive Lounge with an Award stay?

Sabrina, did you ask for the up-grade? Do I need to call ahead of time to request the up-grade?

I would appreciate any information you folks can provide.

PHL Feb 27, 2002 8:38 pm

There's an executive lounge at the Waldorf=Astoria?? I haven't been able to find that info at the hotel.