Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (My IV to the Net: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7250/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Originally Posted by kymbakitty
If I missed this answer, I'm sorry. But does anyone know if the resort charge is per person or per room?

We stayed at the Maui Weston year before last and I believe the resort fee was $18...can't remember exactly.

We did not get charged a resort fee at the Tapito Cliffs or the Squaw Peak...not sure if it was an oversight or not.

Dawn
Per room, per night per the fine print.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (My IV to the Net: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7250/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Originally Posted by MisterNice
The "Resort Fee" was $18 last year and I detest anything about these resort fee rip-offs. Never-the-less one usually must pay it. Also I do not believe the Grand Wailea "wireless high speed internet" is free of cost, only that it is available now in most of the hotel. I think they ding you the usual-n-customary $10/day.

The self parking entrance is immediately before and to the right of the nice GW entrance in a covered multi-level building, and far faster-n-cheaper than the valet parking especially during the busy times. I strongly recommend using it.

MisterNice
Wow, $20 to have access to Wifi and another $10 to actually use it.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
I am not sure if the HWV does not have one in place too.
When we were there in '02, they had one - $25 or $30 per day plus taxes on top of that - but it was optional. If you chose to pay it, you got unlimited use of a bunch of little things like snorkel gear, kayaks, and maybe a few other things.

I agree with others here - mandatory resort fees should be illegal. They are free to ask whatever rate they want for the room - that is sufficient.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
This is worrisome. It tells me that it's not as simple as dropping it in as a Cat 6 and being done with it. There will be something different about this one - either a new category or simply Wailea-specific awards.
Don't read too much into it (I hope ). As a point of reference, high season room rates at the Cat 6 Barbados property are much higher than GW.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:43 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
True....

Originally Posted by cactuspete
Don't read too much into it (I hope ). As a point of reference, high season room rates at the Cat 6 Barbados property are much higher than GW.
I agree...I was thinking the same thing. The typical room rate at the Rome Cavalieri exceeds $500 US.

I hope the other poster hit the nail on the head when they reported that they just want all the promo certs to be used up.

It probably has nothing to do with either....I do hope that it is just 175k like the other ones. I can't wait to go to this location....I've only walked on the grounds before!!!

Dawn
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
another benefit

i stayed there in the mid 90s - great resort, and i agree in many ways better than HWV. One of the things my friend missed out on during the trip (a group of us went) is this:

Admission to twice-daily scuba clinics and water aerobics.

Turns out, even back then, you could get free beginner scuba lessons. The rest of us were divers, and he wasn't. He found out on our last day there about this perk (too late for diving purposes due to the flying restriction).

If you aren't a diver, take advantage of this. An intro course in the "real" world would cost you MUCH more.

And yes, wireless access for free is also a great perk
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:06 pm

Resort dives....

Originally Posted by corbetti
i stayed there in the mid 90s - great resort, and i agree in many ways better than HWV. One of the things my friend missed out on during the trip (a group of us went) is this:

Admission to twice-daily scuba clinics and water aerobics.

Turns out, even back then, you could get free beginner scuba lessons. The rest of us were divers, and he wasn't. He found out on our last day there about this perk (too late for diving purposes due to the flying restriction).

If you aren't a diver, take advantage of this. An intro course in the "real" world would cost you MUCH more.

And yes, wireless access for free is also a great perk
Corbetti:

The resort dives, are they on the grounds of the property? Do they include a trip out to the sea?

My husband and I do resort dives quite often but have no desire to become certified. These are great because 1) you don't have to lug any of your equipment w/you (most certified folks I know HAVE to have their own equipment with them), 2) give you a much needed refresher, and 3) take us down 25 feet which is plenty for us. But, if the resort dive is just in the pool and then that is it, then I won't even look into it.

We love diving....but just recreational and just periodically. I've done resort dives in the pool and in the ocean. The Grand Wailea might just show you how to dive in their pool so it wouldn't be something we would bother doing unless they follow it up with an actual dive.

Thanks!

Dawn
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:24 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I've been wondering why Hilton has no presence in Maui. This is very good news. Guess I'll have to start charging up that old Hilton AMEX.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Recreation
I've been wondering why Hilton has no presence in Maui. This is very good news. Guess I'll have to start charging up that old Hilton AMEX.
Embassy Suites doesn't count?
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by smmrfld
They do count for something but zilch for HH members, but no points, stay credit or awards redeemed at the Maui ES.

mikw
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
They do count for something but zilch for HH members, but no points, stay credit or awards redeemed at the Maui ES.

mikw
You'd be surprised what happens sometimes when you fax a folio to the DD
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:07 pm
Suspended

I too got lucky by e-mailing Adam Burke ( thats how I know for sure that the Maui ES does not participate in the program) but I suggest you dont ever plan on hitting the lottery twice.

mike
Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:01 am

I've been told that also....

I had a rep from Embassy Suites in Maui tell me on the phone that they will give points for staying but you cannot use points to stay. I told her, "sure...you will give all the points you can because no one can ever turn them in and use them there!"

Anyway, there is a HUGE difference between getting points on a PAID stay and turning in a GLONP. Night and day. I mean, it is nice to get the points, but even better if you can use an award to pay for the stay.

Dawn
Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:26 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
This resort doesn't appear on the Hilton website and, as others have said, you can't use points to book free stays.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:46 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, AA Gold
Good News

As my family takes an annual Hawaii trip on an ALON cert, I am really looking forward to this addition. Now if Hilton can add the Mandarin Oriental I'll really have a tough decision to make.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.