Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Ngapali Resort & Spa {MMR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Ngapali Resort & Spa {MMR}

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Arrow Hilton Ngapali Resort & Spa {MMR}

When did the Hilton on Ngapali open up? Any recent experiences?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Arrow Hilton Ngapali Resort & Spa {MMR}

I see that Hilton has a (what looks like) nice beach property in Myanmar at Ngapali Beach. From what I have heard, Ngapali is a great beach in that area.

Has anyone stayed here or have any intel on location, service, amenities, etc?

Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: The Embassy
Anyone?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite
Any recent experiences at this proporty - especially about their Diamond treatment?

Thinking about going there for 4 nights middle of January....
Old Nov 18, 2016, 7:11 pm

I stayed here for 4 nights recently as a Diamond. The hotel is a beautiful property and looks brand new. A number of the buildings are built around lagoons while the villas are on the waterfront, all of it set in very pleasant rain forest-ey surrounds. The gym is quite small but has a nice outlook and a trainer there to help.

There isn't a sandy beach directly in front of the hotel - it is rocky though there are steps down and you can swim off them if you wish at high tide or walk out at low tide. This is the only downside to the property from my perspective.

It didn't appear to be very full when I was there (Oct) - only 5-7 tables taken at breakfast and not many lounges round the pool taken.

In terms of Diamond treatment, I booked a base room at a good price and was upgraded to a large waterfront villa with a private pool which was stunning.

Golds and Diamonds are given free drinks from 5-7pm (from memory) at the bar with beer, wine and standard pour spirits. It was quite a nice spot to watch the sunset and they brought round some canapes unprompted.

There are free transfers to and from the airport which is only a 5 minute drive away for all guests which is super convenient - and they helped me through the check-in & customs process on departure (not that it was needed but still appreciated).

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, though Ngapali is a very remote and small village, the Hilton is the only 5-star property and thus I imagine they have to train them all from scratch which is a large undertaking. Consequently, a few staff were a little unpolished but overall a very good experience.

There is not a huge amount to do around Ngapali - there is a shuttle to the local restaurants and small souvenir shops which are quite pleasant but not high end and very cheap. I did a half day fishing with a local guy who will take you out and then bring your catch to a restaurant on the beach where they'll cook it for you for a few $ (pictured) - a fun day.

I suspect this is currently the nicest hotel in Myanmar, though there is a lot of development going on everywhere. It was great to relax here after touring around the country - Myanmar is beautiful and definitely one of my favourite destinations in many years.
Attached Images   
SanDiego1K and Thunderroad like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

Any recent stays here? Comments would be most appreciated on:

1. Gold and Diamond treatment, including upgrades.
2. Any local restaurants within walking distance, especially if they're on the beach?
3. Is it possible to walk to the main stretch of Ngapali beach? And if so, about how long does it take?
4. How crowded is the hotel? (We'd probably go in March.)
5. Overall impressions of the place, whether positive or negative

Any other advice would be great. Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Any recent stays here? Comments would be most appreciated on:

1. Gold and Diamond treatment, including upgrades.
2. Any local restaurants within walking distance, especially if they're on the beach?
3. Is it possible to walk to the main stretch of Ngapali beach? And if so, about how long does it take?
4. How crowded is the hotel? (We'd probably go in March.)
5. Overall impressions of the place, whether positive or negative

Any other advice would be great. Thanks.
Bumping this, just in case...
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:45 am

1) no executive lounge, but free soft drinks all day in the restaurant/bar and free cocktails with a small snack between 1730 and 1930.
free full breakfast
late check out
2nd guest stays for free
no idea about upgrade as we booked highest category room.
2) good local restaurant, not on the beach, 20 minutes walking or 5 minutes by bicycle which are complimentary
3) not possible to walk to main Ngapali area, 6 miles away, but free shuttle bus 4 times a day.
4) Hotel not crowded even if full. Deserted beaches just outside the hotel
5) nice beach resort to include in a Myanmar visit, but not really worth the trip for the beach only.
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks very much for this info, patvd.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It always seems so odd to find some hotels that are closed 5 months of the year, like this one.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Checking in here later today on a 2 day points stay as a gold. If anyone wants to know anything specific I’ll try finding out (time permitting!)

first impressions are good, with an email from the front desk asking for my flight details for the complimentary airport pick up.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aceman
Checking in here later today on a 2 day points stay as a gold. If anyone wants to know anything specific I’ll try finding out (time permitting!)

first impressions are good, with an email from the front desk asking for my flight details for the complimentary airport pick up.
Thanks! Very interested in:

1. Any upgrades or other perks via your Gold status.
2. Your impression of the beaches at and within walking distance of the hotel.
3. Your impression of any nearby, non-hotel restaurants, if you get to them.

Have a great time!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:57 am

Only good things so far. Very nice hotel and as is usual throughout Myanmar lovely staff.

VERY close to the airport, not even 5 mins drive.

was informed on check in that I’d booked the lowest room category, but they’d upgraded me to the top category because I’m gold. So I’m in a sea view bungalow with private pool. Awesome room! The rack rate here the nights I’m here are $198 for the room I booked and $398 for the room I’m in, so I’d say I’ve done pretty well! There are 3 room categories.

i asked if there was a lounge (knowing there wasn’t) to see if that soft drink thing was going on, but nothing else. The upgrade is more then enough!

I asked about swimming in the beach in front of the hotel and was told it’s not advised because of the waves and rocks.

the operate a shuttle 4 times a day to the local village and then on to the local beach.

Driving time is 18 mins to the local town area, and then another 2 mins to the beach.

i got the impression you wouldn’t be walking anywhere!

wifi signal in my room is pretty weak, but blazing fast compared to the rest of Myanmar, 12mbps down 6.5 up. But I think we’ve had about 15 small power cuts since I’ve been here (45 mins!) so I’m not actually on it.

phone signal is pretty good in my room, 2 bars of 4G
Thunderroad and Hurrican68 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by aceman
Only good things so far. Very nice hotel and as is usual throughout Myanmar lovely staff.

VERY close to the airport, not even 5 mins drive.

was informed on check in that I’d booked the lowest room category, but they’d upgraded me to the top category because I’m gold. So I’m in a sea view bungalow with private pool. Awesome room! The rack rate here the nights I’m here are $198 for the room I booked and $398 for the room I’m in, so I’d say I’ve done pretty well! There are 3 room categories.

i asked if there was a lounge (knowing there wasn’t) to see if that soft drink thing was going on, but nothing else. The upgrade is more then enough!

I asked about swimming in the beach in front of the hotel and was told it’s not advised because of the waves and rocks.

the operate a shuttle 4 times a day to the local village and then on to the local beach.

Driving time is 18 mins to the local town area, and then another 2 mins to the beach.

i got the impression you wouldn’t be walking anywhere!

wifi signal in my room is pretty weak, but blazing fast compared to the rest of Myanmar, 12mbps down 6.5 up. But I think we’ve had about 15 small power cuts since I’ve been here (45 mins!) so I’m not actually on it.

phone signal is pretty good in my room, 2 bars of 4G
From the hotel website - Although Hilton Ngapali Resort & Spa strives to provide the best possible internet connection through best available third party service providers at the location, we are not able to control connection interruptions, connection speed, lack of band-width and / or any service problems.

Must be an ongoing issue.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:50 am

Yeah I saw that when I booked too. It also seems to be the sort of WiFi that once you’re off you have to manually connect to again (albeit without entering password etc again)

Turns out the “power cuts” I experience were caused by the card slot that controls power in the room being loose, once I clipped it back on properly it’s fine.

theres also a water leak in my toilet. I wasn’t sure if it was increasing or not since I saw it once I’d unpacked, but just got back in from dinner and it’s much larger. Probably something simple but I’ll let them sort it in the morning.

mixed feelings about the bathroom being in a separate annex, since you’re walking outside to get there, exposing yourself to all sorts of insects if you happen to wake up in the middle of the night and fancy communion with the porcelain god.

missed my last bus back (deliberately) and walked a friend back to their hotel. Turns out it’s remarkably difficult to get a taxi at night here. The excuse I was given was “the taxi driver doesn’t want to come because it’s dark”. Ended up paying the reception guy at my friends hotel about $5 to take me on the back of his scooter.

half the staff were at the desk when I got back with “Mr aceman we were worried about you since you missed the last bus back”

oh and there goes the power again. Will have to get them to check both these things in the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.