Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London ExCel {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London ExCel {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
Thanks for the input. We are torn between various parts of East and South East London to move to. the Conrad is nice, but only with a Barclaycard free night!

No car with us so will opt for the “Greenwich” option in the hope of seeing a bit of local colour.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:59 am

I must give Excel another go. Stayed a couple of times after it changed to DT and wasn’t particularly wow’ed with it.

IIRC the rooms I had were pretty tired and basic compared to other DTs and the front desk was extremely disorganised. Possibly just me and the way I was feeling on the days of the stays as most other reports seem fairly positive.

If the rooms are getting a refresh I’ll maybe give it another go in May when I’m in London.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysonBA663
Thanks for the input. We are torn between various parts of East and South East London to move to. the Conrad is nice, but only with a Barclaycard free night!

No car with us so will opt for the “Greenwich” option in the hope of seeing a bit of local colour.
yep, Greenwich has more handy stuff, e.g - the chip shop around the corner won an award for best fish and chips in London and the tai won mein noodle house ( corner of deptford creek road ) does the best Chinese I've ever tasted!.........nice pubs along Thames path ( head east at front of cutty sark ), but I guess your time will be limited house hunting...... trust me on the noodle house though!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by chrism20
I must give Excel another go. Stayed a couple of times after it changed to DT and wasn’t particularly wow’ed with it.

IIRC the rooms I had were pretty tired and basic compared to other DTs and the front desk was extremely disorganised. Possibly just me and the way I was feeling on the days of the stays as most other reports seem fairly positive.

If the rooms are getting a refresh I’ll maybe give it another go in May when I’m in London.
yeah I'm thinking the same........ Greenwich is better for the gig ( bus is pretty much direct) but excel would be so much cheaper and easier to get to via car......tough one.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by wizla

yep, Greenwich has more handy stuff, e.g - the chip shop around the corner won an award for best fish and chips in London and the tai won mein noodle house ( corner of deptford creek road ) does the best Chinese I've ever tasted!.........nice pubs along Thames path ( head east at front of cutty sark ), but I guess your time will be limited house hunting...... trust me on the noodle house though!
Yep, I concur - tried it during my stay at the DT Greenwich and I was impressed. The Turkish guy who runs the place is nice too.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
Yep, I concur - tried it during my stay at the DT Greenwich and I was impressed. The Turkish guy who runs the place is nice too.
i thought they were ok but I've been spoiled.........I live on the east coast 17 miles east of Norwich we do have a couple of amazing fish and chip shops that cook the fish that was caught that morning at kessingland.......the Turkish guy ( his name is
rishi ) is a friendly guy, he also ownes the cafe next door which does the best sausage, cheese and fried onion sandwich EVER!....... as a teenager I used to sit in that park next to the hotel eating them for breakfast.
the noodle house in my opinion does the best duck noodles I've ever had !........I've been going there since 1996, it's still my favourite restaurant in the uk!..........have duck fried noodles with crackers and a Chinese beer , cost £8 but be aware it's cash only.

Last edited by wizla; Feb 17, 2018 at 7:25 am Reason: spelling mistake
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:52 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AlwaysonBA663

I don't think there's a huge difference between the two hotels on the inside, so I'd almost saying "whichever costs you least". The ExCel breakfast arrangement is better than Greenwich, but there are some bad rooms there that get kitchen fumes during meal times. Excel's immediate area is a bit bleak, particularly after dark. whereas Greenwich does have a lot locally/nearby including places to eat. Greenwich benefits from a number of useful bus links (including a fairly good link to Trafalgar Square) as well as the DLR/rail options. ExCel gets a lot of LCY noise, except of course from lunchtime Saturday through to Sunday when it goes very quiet indeed, with the airport's closure. Greenwich is set slightly off the main road and is quiet throughout. The upgraded rooms in ExCel are larger than Greenwich, and a number have baths (though not particularly large ones) as well as showers, Greenwich only has a few rooms with baths. It's easier to get Uber in Greenwich, not that's too tricky at ExCel. From what I can make out, ExCel doesn't have the staff turnover that Greenwich has, and at least some are drawn from local residents (and so know the fascinating history of the Royal Docks). But basically they are both reasonably good hotels which offer good value for money.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:28 am

Slight chance I may be here Monday night, I have a room booked at doubletree Greenwich but may swap to here, not made final decision yet.......will report back!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Good and enjoyable stay.
Friendly check in, 2 drinks vouchers, as a thank you for loyalty bottle of red and jar of cookies in room. Upgraded to king deluxe view (600). Was offered queen with balcony, but we anted to see airport/ planes! Room good, very comfortable bed, gowns, slippers, but no nespresso machine. Not particularly hassled at this, I'm not that keen.
I would say room 500 would probably be slightly better for view due to the shape of the windows. Great view for virtually landing, but due to the shape of the building runway view restricted. Nice large walk in rainfall shower.
Had a Boar burger in the bar. The bar was busy, food however was very good, it was cooked just right (for my tastes at least!). Very enjoyable.
Breakfast was quite busy at 9.00, ordered cappucinos and eggs benedict. All very good.
Friendly departure and chat with receptionist, another cookie offered which we declined but nice gesture. I hope to get a refurbished suite next stay, but nonetheless a very good stay that did everything right and did make me feel a bit special, well done and we will be back!
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; UA/*A
I stayed here recently for 1st time as well. Prefer it here to DT Greenwich. Food is better than Greenwich and there was a barista making Illy branded coffee at breakfast. Nice if small room and very friendly reception staff. Bathroom decor is so old it’s quaint! But - zero diamond benefits.

The biggest issue for me with this whole area (the Hampton docklands is almost opposite) is there is nothing to do and nowhere to eat. Better to eat in central London (or wherever) and come here on DLR afterwards.

The upside is cost. It can be dramatically cheaper here when there isn’t an event in Excel midweek, when London is eye-watering. Paid about £83 (during the sale) for a midweek stay.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Freetotravel
I stayed here recently for 1st time as well. Prefer it here to DT Greenwich. Food is better than Greenwich and there was a barista making Illy branded coffee at breakfast. Nice if small room and very friendly reception staff. Bathroom decor is so old it’s quaint! But - zero diamond benefits.

The biggest issue for me with this whole area (the Hampton docklands is almost opposite) is there is nothing to do and nowhere to eat. Better to eat in central London (or wherever) and come here on DLR afterwards.

The upside is cost. It can be dramatically cheaper here when there isn’t an event in Excel midweek, when London is eye-watering. Paid about £83 (during the sale) for a midweek stay.
Yeah , solid choice....it was £55 last Monday, I nearly swapped my stay at DT Greenwich as that's crazy cheap!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at Greenwich. It is fine - the room is kind of smallish and upgrades are hard to come by.

I am thinking about trying this one on my next trip. It seems this one has more modern and bigger rooms-- and upgrades are probably easier? Are the renovations all done?

Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Why on earth did this hotel decide to make guests walk through the middle of the restaurant to get to the back hotel elevators ??!! You literally walk past people at tables eating breakfast or dinner. Ive never seen this kind of moronic setup anywhere else.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Why on earth did this hotel decide to make guests walk through the middle of the restaurant to get to the back hotel elevators ??!! You literally walk past people at tables eating breakfast or dinner. Ive never seen this kind of moronic setup anywhere else.
I’ve wondered that one myself, it’s a bit of a strange set up.

I havent stayed for a good while as I didn’t particularly think it was that good to be honest.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:37 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Probably because they were originally meant to be staff only elevators ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.