Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Orlando Airport {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Orlando Airport {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DELee
If it is a one night stay, why not try it?

David
Stayed here last week after taking the points rate, and they did not charge me parking (probably just got lucky). The bathroom was a bit tight, but we had a nice room upgrade and were well away from the noise of the atrium. Breakfast was good (great omelette station) but they were definitely a bit slow waitstaff wise. Location was ehh, but close to the airport and met our needs. Definitely recently renovated and everything was in good shape in the room.

The gas station across the street though, beware: $5.95/gallon!!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dmarge18
Stayed here last week after taking the points rate, and they did not charge me parking (probably just got lucky). The bathroom was a bit tight, but we had a nice room upgrade and were well away from the noise of the atrium. Breakfast was good (great omelette station) but they were definitely a bit slow waitstaff wise. Location was ehh, but close to the airport and met our needs. Definitely recently renovated and everything was in good shape in the room.

The gas station across the street though, beware: $5.95/gallon!!
Oooh - gas station sounds like Suncoast Energys: MCO Gas Station RIPOFF (thread) and the gas options north of MCO (my post).

David
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DELee
Oooh - gas station sounds like Suncoast Energys: MCO Gas Station RIPOFF (thread) and the gas options north of MCO (my post).

David
Yep. Thanks for passing that on. Definitely a ripoff.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
My company books many rooms near MCO every night. After the owners changed in 2017 quality went down as several of you have mentioned. A number of my colleagues reported dirty rooms, wait times of over an hour for rooms, and I can recall at least five instances where there was no hot water. We no longer stay at this property; our primary hotel is now the Marriott (which is very nice), though we do book up the other hotels as necessary. I last stayed here in December 2017 and this was actually the property that made me decide to pursue Marriott status for 2018!

-J.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by jcresq
I have posted two positive reviews of this hotel, and have stayed there probably half a dozen times without problems. I stayed there last night and changed my impression considerably.

Cutting to the chase: I was told this morning that the hotel changed management in January and the new management changed a number of policies. In particular, parking is no longer free (14/night for self park, 19 for valet). Breakfast vouchers for Diamonds and Golds no longer covers the full buffet but only the cold items. The full buffet is $5 more. I inquired about these changes to my breakfast server, who told me of the management change, and couldn't wait to bring out the restaurant manager to talk to me. She also expressed unhappiness about the changes, and offered to comp breakfast and take care of my parking. She basically said, they did this all the time for Diamonds who complain. So apparently, management believes they should tick off Diamonds before giving them what they want.

The changes don't stop there. I got the sense that management has hired less experienced, less expensive employees. I used express check-in, and was assigned a room other than what I had reserved. I went to the front desk to ask if they would change me to what I had reserved, and while they were at it, upgrade me (I had checked my app, there were suites and other premium rooms available). The desk clerk initially acted like I was from Mars. She finally got it together, and announced that she would put me in "one of our best rooms." I have previously stayed in some very nice rooms in this hotel. The room she assigned me did not fit that description. It was a room. A room that lacked sufficient electrical outlets to plug in a laptop (or anything else) at the desk. I had to unplug the lamp to plug in my laptop, but who really needs light anyway? By the way, the other lighting in the room was inadequate as well.

The carpets on my floor (the HHonors floor) were dirty and frayed.

The breakfast was not well presented, at any price. They previously made omelets and pancakes to order; nobody said anything about that to me when I arrived, so I went to the buffet, which was more or less a Hampton Inn style arrangement, down to the make your own waffle. The syrup came in a pitcher which was covered in syrup, so my hands got sticky from using it. The rest was nothing special. While i was eating, I overheard my server telling someone else he could order an omelet. I asked why he hadn't offered that to me; he told me that it was because I had a Continental breakfast voucher. So....people with vouchers get fewer options and less service? And those people would be Diamond and Gold HHonors members...That's when the discussion about the changes ensued. I also overheard someone ask for Earl Grey tea, only to be informed that they didn't have that, only "black" and "green" teas.

So, management changes, cost cutting, reduced service. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. The new Hampton Inn up the street is really nice!

I stay in Orlando airport hotels about 6 nights a month. This hotel is the only one around that charges for parking and that alone is why I have stopped staying at the property. I am diamond and when complained, the parking was not waived. I haven’t been back since.

I was not aware there was new management, that explains all the changes. Thanks for the info on that!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by KRUXED
This hotel is the only one around that charges for parking and that alone is why I have stopped staying at the property.
This statement is simply not true.
  • DoubleTree Orlando Airport: $16 self parking/$20 valet
  • Embassy Suites Orlando Airport: $16 self parking
  • Renaissance Orlando Airport: $16 self parking/$19 valet
  • Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport: $19 self parking/$25 valet
  • Orlando Airport Marriott Lakeside: $18 self parking/$24 valet
  • Hilton Garden Inn Orlando Airport: $10 self parking
  • Sheraton Suites Orlando Airport: $10 self parking
  • Residence Inn Orlando Airport: $10 self parking
  • Courtyard Orlando Airport: $12 self parking

Indeed there are some airport-area hotels that have free parking. But the DoubleTree is not the only hotel that has parking charges.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve stayed once at this property because my preferred Hampton Inn wasn’t available. It did seem like the “place to be “ with everyone socializing in the lobby but I wasn’t that impressed.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
This statement is simply not true.
  • DoubleTree Orlando Airport: $16 self parking/$20 valet
  • Renaissance Orlando Airport: $16 self parking/$19 valet
  • Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport: $19 self parking/$25 valet
  • Orlando Airport Marriott Lakeside: $18 self parking/$24 valet
  • Hilton Garden Inn Orlando Airport: $10 self parking
  • Sheraton Suites Orlando Airport: $10 self parking
  • Residence Inn Orlando Airport: $10 self parking
  • Courtyard Orlando Airport: $12 self parking

Indeed there are some airport-area hotels that have free parking. But the DoubleTree is not the only hotel that has parking charges.
That may be true as I don’t stay outside of the Hilton portfolio and don’t know the others. That said, when did the Hilton garden inn start charging?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:56 am

That may be true as I don’t stay outside of the Hilton portfolio and don’t know the others.
Please note the text I quoted. You wrote "hotel" not "Hilton hotel".

That said, when did the Hilton garden inn start charging?
No clue.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Any more recent reviews? Especially in the COVID era?
Old May 8, 2021, 10:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Was surprised to see such a negative opinion of this property semi-recently. We had a great experience last week before flying out for a week. The rooms were very clean. Not the brightest or most stylish rooms, but decently modern and large. Great bed and pillows! We had a room with the atrium balcony and were worried about noise but it was no issue (this was a Friday night). Just make sure the balcony is closed tightly!

The shuttle driver to MCO in the morning was great—super friendly and professional. Surprisingly busy in the morning with a Delta crew, a few families and solo travelers. The shuttle left promptly at 5a as we scheduled. Coming back, we had a different shuttle driver who wasn’t quite as friendly, but we were picked up in less than 10 minutes after calling the hotel.

The front desk staff I interacted with were some of the nicest I’ve dealt with recently.

Second DT stay in the last two months where I was not charged for parking via selecting I needed parking during OLCI and using digital key to get in and out of the parking lot.

For $150 for seven nights parking + a hotel stay it’s a great value.

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Any more recent reviews? Especially in the COVID era?
SFO 1K likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.