Reload this Page >

MCO Gas Station RIPOFF

MCO Gas Station RIPOFF

Old Dec 12, 05, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, LQ Elite, NCR EC
Exclamation MCO Gas Station RIPOFF

They've very cleverly added $1 to their prices, hoping to catch unsuspecting customers!!! I almost got nailed today, but caught it before I started pumping.

There's a 7-11/Citgo station about three minutes north with reasonable prices for an airport location - they were $2.19 today, when most sites in regular neighboorhoods were running $2.09-$2.13.
Old Dec 12, 05, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (former PP), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
That's ridiculous. I don't remember any gas stations playing that game when I was in Orlando last March.
Old Dec 13, 05, 8:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, MR Silver, Delta GM, Hertz FS
The Hertz airport location is just across the street from this Chevron. When you are leaving their lot and decline the fuel option, they advise you not to fill up at the Chevron station due to the pricing. Two weeks ago, it was about 95 cents over normal pricing.
Old Dec 14, 05, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, LQ Elite, NCR EC
Originally Posted by jjulio2445
The Hertz airport location is just across the street from this Chevron.
Yep, that's where I was headed. They do not post their prices before you pull into the lot.
Old Dec 15, 05, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I always fill up the car at one of the Disney on-property stations before we leave. I've seen the prices there actually lower than at some stations off property - which was a total surprise.

If you really top it off and go the I-4 route to the airport the gas gauge won't even budge off full .
Old Dec 20, 05, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its not only MCO but you'll find the prices much higher by most Rental Car airport locations.

At LAX unless you fill up at the ARCO on the corner of Century by the 405 you'll pay thru the nose at the Texaco alittle less at the Union.

the way around it is as Mary2e put it and I also do is to know how many miles you can drive before the gauge goes below Full and fill it away from any Airport, 9 1/2 times out of 10 you wont have to put any more into the car before returning it and if you have to it'll maybe be a $1 or so, so the damage wont be major.
Old Jan 5, 06, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by craz

the way around it is as Mary2e put it and I also do is to know how many miles you can drive before the gauge goes below Full and fill it away from any Airport, 9 1/2 times out of 10 you wont have to put any more into the car before returning it and if you have to it'll maybe be a $1 or so, so the damage wont be major.
Absolutely, I got caught at the MCO one despite reading this fortunately I had filled up earlier and just neede a top up, general price was about 2.30 chevron was 2.99 with no signs.
Old Jan 7, 06, 3:26 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Thanks for the heads up.... I will be in this area 1st week of Feb and this is good to know.
Old Aug 4, 06, 2:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, MR Silver, Delta GM, Hertz FS
Having filled up at 2.99 per gallon just half-a-mile up the road from this Chevron, just for kicks, I pulled in to see what their fuel price was last week. They still have no sign displaying price anywhere other than the pump. Regular unleaded was 3.89.

That's 90 cents above the going rate. Once again upon checking my car out of Hertz MCO, they advised me not to fill up at the station across the street.

Just a good thing to keep in mind if your renting a car in Orlando.
Old Aug 4, 06, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA, DL
and in a few years, $3.89 will be a bargain! You heard it here first.
Old Aug 5, 06, 12:27 am
mkt

Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; WN A-List; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Lineman
and in a few years, $3.89 will be a bargain! You heard it here first.
and that Chevron will be charging $4.79/gallon then
sdadept likes this.
Old Aug 5, 06, 8:46 am

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 1mm, Hil/Dia Life, Hol/Spire, Marr/Plt
Originally Posted by mkt
and that Chevron will be charging $4.79/gallon then
Because some people are clueless and the gas station owner is taking advantage of a prime location and not-from-the-area car renter cluelessness. Kudos to him! I would probably do the same thing if I owned that station, because he's likely not getting the walk-in traffic and profits off merchandise that most gas stations rely on. The people getting gas at that Chevron are also probably not as ripped off as those who get the pre-paid gas option for the car rental. I'm willing to bet the gas per tank the pre=paid opton is still over double the Chevron's rate if they elected to fill it up themselves. If it wasn't for these "sheep", would the rest of us still be getting email offers to move money out of Nigeria? Should we point out every rip-off to others? Of course not. It's the American way to make money. Caveat Emptor.

A gas station near me occasionally priced Reg, Plus and Premium at the same price. I asked the station owner about it. He said most customers still pumped regular into their cars. I chided a woman at the next pump who was pumping regular. She gave me a deer in the headlights look. I keep my mouth shut now.
Old Aug 5, 06, 9:25 am

Programs: NW Gold, CO, DL, US
Originally Posted by outoftown
Because some people are clueless and the gas station owner is taking advantage of a prime location and not-from-the-area car renter cluelessness. Kudos to him! I would probably do the same thing if I owned that station, because he's likely not getting the walk-in traffic and profits off merchandise that most gas stations rely on. The people getting gas at that Chevron are also probably not as ripped off as those who get the pre-paid gas option for the car rental. I'm willing to bet the gas per tank the pre=paid opton is still over double the Chevron's rate if they elected to fill it up themselves. If it wasn't for these "sheep", would the rest of us still be getting email offers to move money out of Nigeria? Should we point out every rip-off to others? Of course not. It's the American way to make money. Caveat Emptor.

A gas station near me occasionally priced Reg, Plus and Premium at the same price. I asked the station owner about it. He said most customers still pumped regular into their cars. I chided a woman at the next pump who was pumping regular. She gave me a deer in the headlights look. I keep my mouth shut now.

It's not the American way to fail to post gas prices that are visible for the road, it's not the American way to price gouge, it's not the American way to snicker while your neighbor gets ripped off; it's just your way. Have a great weekend, Mr. Patriot.
Old Aug 5, 06, 2:24 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I wonder if that gas station is worth reporting to the Attorney General.

Anyone have their exact address? I'm not local.
Old Aug 7, 06, 5:49 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
Head a few more blocks north of there, and use the Mobil at the corner of 436 and Hoeffner. They are usually one of the cheapest places around, and you can earn Upromise money there!

I didn't realize how empty my tank was when I dropped off my car last time, and when I left the parking facility, I asked where to get gas (it was also after 2 am) and the guy specifically steered me away from the Chevron. I didn't realize that my regular Mobil was open 24 hours or I would have never even asked.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: