Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection {ITA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection {ITA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
Nor1 Upgrade - is it worth it?

One of the standby upgrades I have been offered for a C&P stay at this hotel in September is Imperial Club access for 75 euros a day. As a Gold obviously I have no entitlement to club access otherwise. Taking into account the lack of breakfast choices in the area and that afternoon tea and evening snacks and drinks are included, based on the experience of others does this seem like a good deal?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
€75 per night would be close to my limit if there with my wife; on my own then no.

I paid €54 per night for three nights for exactly that on a reward stay some years ago - I believe it was well worth it.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
The 75 euros is for two people. However add that 75 euros to the 115 euros for the C&P charge and I'm at 190 a night. For 230 + 14 euros taxes I can purchase the room outright and earn points. I guess the key might be to sit back and wait to see if there is a good promo or if prices come down.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
Originally Posted by Toula
Taking into account the lack of breakfast choices in the area
On my first visit, I assumed that the Cavalieri had no shopping or restaurants within walking distance, or at least walkable by non-mountain goats. But on my last visit I needed a pharmacist, which was three blocks after turning right from the main entrance. There are markets, bakeries, pizzarias, restaurants, and more just a few minutes walk from the hotel.
Old May 1, 2015, 3:03 pm

"The 75 euros is for two people. However add that 75 euros to the 115 euros for the C&P charge and I'm at 190 a night. For 230 + 14 euros taxes I can purchase the room outright and earn points. I guess the key might be to sit back and wait to see if there is a good promo or if prices come down. "

C & P charge?? Sorry for having to ask
Old May 1, 2015, 5:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
C&P = cash and points (you can book rooms by splitting into cash and points rather than all cash or all points)
Old May 1, 2015, 10:18 pm

Thanks.

I'm actually changing one of my reservations from points and pay to full points. In the past, with cash/pay and points I have not received points for paid guaranteed upgrade etc but when using full points award, I have received points for paid, guaranteed upgrade ....

Last edited by llfoster; May 5, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
Waldorf Driving Experience

Hi

We are a small group of people planning to visit Waldorf Rome 4-6 September in conjunction with the Waldorf Driving Experience. (Details to info about the Driving Experience in the link to Hilton.com below)

http://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/en...ingExperiences

I want to emphasize that I am in no way affiliated to Hilton or Waldorf but only a regular FT:er who also likes super cars...

I am mentioning this (of course) mainly from selfish reasons and that is to maybe get some of you interested in this same event and thereby making sure that the first weekend of September gets enough bookings for the Driving Experience.
Maybe we could arrange some kind of "FT get together" if there are several FT:ers on-site that weekend?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Are there any recent reports of how best to snag a reasonably priced upgrade when the original booking was made using HHonors points?

A data point or two would be wonderful!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I used Nor1 (the only time ever for me) at this place a few years ago. €55 per night at the time for three nights. More recent post have this somewhat higher. It was reasonable value to get to the Imperial levels ... the still have the Colosseo lounge back then.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Are there any recent reports of how best to snag a reasonably priced upgrade when the original booking was made using HHonors points?

A data point or two would be wonderful!
Depends on your status and how busy the hotel is. As a Diamond last year, booked Lounge level standard room, got a suite- very nice, on a two nights paid, two nights award booking. The hotel was jammed by a large convention that came with bands, fireworks, all sorts of events going on.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Depends on your status and how busy the hotel is. As a Diamond last year, booked Lounge level standard room, got a suite- very nice, on a two nights paid, two nights award booking. The hotel was jammed by a large convention that came with bands, fireworks, all sorts of events going on.
I happen to be a Hilton elite and am going to stay there on a points+cash rate at a time where the hotel now shows as being completely sold out... wish me luck!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Another great stay

Had a two night stay last week at the Cavalieri. Here's a (lengthy) trip report for those interested.

I booked the rooms during Hilton’s summer sale last summer, and booked a Rome View Imperial room for a great rate. When I checked in about noon, I asked about an upgrade to a suite (I am a Diamond Medallion). The front desk associate informed me that my assigned room had one of the best views of the whole hotel and suggested the suite would be a terrible view. I went up to look at the room, the view was incredible and the room was spacious. But I remembered the view from the Imperial Lounge is also quite nice and knowing I would spend enough time there, asked to be moved to the suite. The front desk staff couldn’t have been any better about it. The manager came out and told me he wanted to be sure I was okay with the view from the corner suite and took me to the suite to look. The view was of the courtyard below and the tree line in front of me – there was no view of Rome. But the corner suite is very spacious and comfortable, so I asked the manager “what would you prefer, either room is very nice, and I’m grateful for your offer, so what is easier for you?” He was shocked I told him I could do either room and thanked me profusely. He made a call downstairs and asked them to bring my bags to me and then immediately sent up a bottle of prosecco to thank me. Funny thing is that he knew I was traveling alone, so it would have been a rough night for me! I declined the bottle with thanks because they have it in the Imperial lounge.

The Imperial lounge is still beautifully appointed and has a great view. The food quality has definitely gone down quite a bit. What they serve during the light lunch is placed back out in the evening for dinner. The desserts are not as nice as in the past. Breakfast is fairly standard with the only hot option being scrambled eggs both days. Nonetheless, you still can’t beat the Imperial Lounge and I made a couple of meals out of the stay because of the lounge. I did have a “run in” when I stopped by the lounge. I went to grab a Diet Coke and then realized I left something in my room. The concierge refused to let me leave the lounge with the Diet Coke. I explained I was coming right back and she took it out of my hand and said, “you cannot take it out of here for any reason, sir.” I get not wanting people to grab five bottles of beer and go, but that was a little ridiculous.

I tried to get an appointment for a massage at the spa but a masseur was not available until late in the day that day, so I could not make that work. I did get in a run on one of the treadmills in the gym one day and then spent about 20 minutes in the spa. The sauna in the spa is very large and very intense. For a large sauna, it was the most dense with humidity and heat I have experienced. I stayed in a few moments and then went to the whirlpool outside, which was spacious and just the right temperature. I was annoyed that there is no water available anywhere in the spa (and only a fountain in the gym). I asked for a bottle of water and was told I would need to go to the bar in the spa to purchase it for 4 Euro.

In my room, I made use of the “pillow menu” only because I had never noticed it before and its so over the top, I couldn’t ignore it. I asked for two pillows on my second night: a merino wool pillow (it was heavy and hard) and a memory foam pillow with aromatherapy of aloe, which had no smell at all. The pillows on the bed are plenty and I wouldn’t bother with the menu again. For those who care, the bed was very hard. I like that, but I mean really firm. I’m not into toiletry products much, but they have the standard (and sleepy) Feragammo Tuscan Soul variety. What is impressive is the variety of items in the suite – including a whole manicure set, lots of face products and masks and things for women, and more. I was grateful for the wipes for eyeglasses.

They did not refresh the one tiny bottle of water that was in my room the first day.

People worry about the distance into the city. I took the shuttle once into Rome and the rest of the time took a taxi. There is always a taxi waiting for you at the Cav and I am usually going to the Vatican, so it is a quick ride and less than 10 Euro. I honestly like being just outside of Rome and the trip in has no traffic, so it is easy. The shuttle runs to Plaza Barberini every hour and it is easy to grab too, and comfortable.

One thing to note: I am 90% certain that my welcome letter told me to select the Premium Internet as a Diamond member and it would not be charged to me. When I checked out, my bill had a 20 Euro charge for each day of internet. I asked and he tried to say that I was supposed to select the lower level of internet. I had not kept my welcome letter but argued that I believed it was free for Diamond (and regular members get the lower level for free). He took it off, but I had to push him a little.

After staying at the Cavalieri, I moved to two SPG properties to use SPG points, the Westin Excelsior and the Saint Regis. Hands down, I will stay at the Cavalieri again each time I go back to Rome. I won’t go on about those two hotels, but generally speaking, they are far less customer friendly, a bit too snotty, and smaller rooms.

The WA Cavalieri and the Conrad Saint James continue to be my two favorite Hilton properties.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:58 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
thanks for the review, I'll be here in about a week and am very curious to finally get to try this hotel.

I've just booked a standard points redemption but will see what offers or upgrades are available.

I do love the St. James Conrad as well so hoping this is similar experience.

Rome is a great city so will be a good time in any case.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by paterwdb
The concierge refused to let me leave the lounge with the Diet Coke. I explained I was coming right back and she took it out of my hand and said, “you cannot take it out of here for any reason, sir.” I get not wanting people to grab five bottles of beer and go, but that was a little ridiculous.
She physically took it out of your hand?!?! I'm staying here in March and Ye Gods if someone does this to me they better have backup career plans. Yikes. I'd have been incandescent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.