Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do you get points when you eat at hotel restaurant when hotel booked on points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:13 am
Original Poster

I have a stay which I booked on points, so it was free. However would I get hhonors points if I eat at the restaurant as a extra.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:14 am

Charge the meal to your room.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:31 am
Original Poster

And then I get points?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Vague question.

How are you paying for the meal? Room? Credit card (hilton branded?).

Or is that the question? -- "how should I pay for meals to get points?"
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Charge the meal to your room and you will get the points, many long time members use this trick to insure we get a stay credit on a point redemption.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mrbg07546
I have a stay which I booked on points, so it was free. However would I get hhonors points if I eat at the restaurant as a extra.
Originally Posted by Domat
Charge the meal to your room.
And then I get points?
Restaurant and other incidental expenses charged to your hotel room earn HHonors points except at Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, and Home2 Suites properties. See paragraph 14 under "Accrual of Points" in the HHonors Terms & Conditions for complete details.

Originally Posted by kmandrew
Charge the meal to your room and you will get the points, many long time members use this trick to insure we get a stay credit on a point redemption.
Reward stays always earn night and stay credits for purposes of elite qualification, but an additional incidental charge may be required to trigger bonus points earnings during promotion periods.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
occasionally when staying at an HGI I have gotten a coupon offering 500 extra points if I spend at least $25 in restaurant.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

A Hilton branded restaurant which I plan to Bill to the room.

Vow I always thought you get stay credits when using points regardless??
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by kmandrew
This "trick" used to be necessary before Hilton Honors changed the terms and conditions and started giving stay and night credit for point redemption rooms. Since the change in the terms and conditions I have always received credit for redemption rooms regardless of whether something is charged to the room.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nlkm9
occasionally when staying at an HGI I have gotten a coupon offering 500 extra points if I spend at least $25 in restaurant.
I always like when they do that, especially since most HGI's tend to have reasonable room service prices.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nlkm9
My favorite HGI does this. I usually take advantage of it -- on my company's dime of course.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
A Hilton branded restaurant which I plan to Bill to the room.

Vow I always thought you get stay credits when using points regardless??
You're supposed to. How much do you trust Hilton IT? A cash charge makes it more likely to go through automatically, but you'll eventually get credit if it doesn't and you ask for it.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:01 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Don't forget to switch your Double Dip to points plus points if it's usually on points plus miles, you don't earn miles on award stays, even on incidentals, but you will earn the plus points on incidentals.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: Honors Lifetime Diamond, BAEC Gold
Technically, my understanding is that you do not officially get incidental points added - it is up to the discretion of the hotel whether they choose to give this to you (except some categories of the Hilton family, where the official policy says 100% no - see below). I've been rejected for this by the Hilton Dubrovnik; I complained to HHonors and said what's the incentive then to eat at the hotel on an award stay? I got the points added on 'goodwill', whereas at the Hilton Athens these were added no problem.

My advice would be to email and ask the hotel if you're planning on spending a lot, or want peace of mind.

Hilton HHonors T+Cs, Accrual of Points, paragraph 3:

If at least one night of the Member's stay is consumed with the use of HHonors Rewards Points
, the entire stay is considered a "Reward Stay" and no HHonors Points may be earned, except that if Member is using Room Upgrade Rewards, any money spent on the original reservation will earn points and/or miles consistent with these Terms. Participating hotel will determine whether incidental charges incurred during either of those stays are eligible for points, except that Points will not be earned for incidental charges at Hampton Inn®, Hampton Inn & Suites®, Homewood Suites by Hilton®, and Home2 Suites by Hilton®.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:07 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by dave10
Technically, my understanding is that you do not officially get incidental points added - it is up to the discretion of the hotel whether they choose to give this to you (except some categories of the Hilton family, where the official policy says 100% no - see below)..........
Yes that is my understanding as well.
For two award stays in Doubletree Bratislava I never got points on incidentals, which I of course accepted after having read the terms and conditions.
For a point and cash stay in Tel Aviv I got points on incidentals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.