FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1637820-consolidated-lifetime-diamond-experiences-questions-worth-thread.html)

taylormuk Mar 2, 2015 3:00 pm

Was just as disappointed as most, no 100K and no real set of promotions. I asked about my diamond status. I had previously been told by the diamond desk that I had 1053 nights.

It comes to pass that I have 10.5 years diamond any 986 days. Just 14 days to go!! I totally agree with all the prerequisites. I didn't 2 days ago!! Should be lifetime by the end of March.

Tomphot Mar 2, 2015 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by taylormuk (Post 24442452)
Was just as disappointed as most, no 100K and no real set of promotions. I asked about my diamond status. I had previously been told by the diamond desk that I had 1053 nights.

It comes to pass that I have 10.5 years diamond any 986 days. Just 14 days to go!! I totally agree with all the prerequisites. I didn't 2 days ago!! Should be lifetime by the end of March.

Very cool - unfortunately, the status is only reviewed and awarded at the end of the year.

StayingHomeIsBetter Mar 2, 2015 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by cjd (Post 24417901)
Exactly the same has happened to me. My request to know my total number of paid nights came back saying that they couldn't grant me the Lifetime Status which I had requested. They also quoted the qualification requirements. Do they even read the e-mail requests? Have had to request the info again!

When I finally got the data I needed... 8 years as Diamond, but a lot of nights to go.

Bluntly, the way airlines and hotel chains are gutting their frequently traveler programs, its hard to work up enthusiasm for busting my butt to find those remaining nights with no confidence that there will be anything of value when I get there.

It is very likely that the view would not be worth the climb up the hill.

chitownflyer Mar 2, 2015 6:33 pm

Hilton may have set the bar too high with 10 years of Diamond status and 1000 paid nights required for earning lifetime Diamond. Marriott sets their Platinum level at 750 nights and 2 million points including those generated via credit card spend. While I am glad Hilton is offering a lifetime Diamond status, I do not think the qualifying criteria is comparable with other hotel loyalty programs.

smmrfld Mar 2, 2015 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by taylormuk (Post 24442452)
I totally agree with all the prerequisites.

+1. Should be there later this year.

worldiswide Mar 2, 2015 9:13 pm

I sent a request on feb 22 for the information. Got two quick emails tell me they had received my email, but no information received 10 days later. That is real pathetic customer service. What kind of research or search is required to get this info? They must have run queries to figure out the cutoff for lifetime..Didn't they store the data..or is it someone looking up the info on microfiche..we have been in t he program for over 20 years and I'm just amazed at how poorly this has been handled.

taylormuk Mar 2, 2015 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Tomphot (Post 24442574)
Very cool - unfortunately, the status is only reviewed and awarded at the end of the year.

I know but at least I'll have qualification in the bag waiting.

lcohen999 Mar 2, 2015 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 24416208)
Sounds familiar...

I first submitted a verbal request to the Diamond line for my stats.

This was relayed and I got an e-mail response stating that Hilton could not grant my request for lifetime status (???).

My e-mail response clarifying my request yielded another response telling me, this time, what the qualification requirements were (????).

I responded, once again, and reiterated that my request was that Hilton would give me my current stats, not the qualification requirements.

Finally... finally... I received a response that gave me the information that I needed.

Thought I was losing my mind....glad it wasn't just me

SADDE6 Mar 3, 2015 1:21 am

Originally Posted by hedoman (Post 24432984)
Proud to report diamond since 1993 with under 560 paid nights. Also, proud to report that I will be silver during 2015. No more tilting the scales in favor of Hilton. 22 consecutive years as diamond.

Originally Posted by chitownflyer (Post 24443465)
Hilton may have set the bar too high with 10 years of Diamond status and 1000 paid nights required for earning lifetime Diamond. Marriott sets their Platinum level at 750 nights and 2 million points including those generated via credit card spend. While I am glad Hilton is offering a lifetime Diamond status, I do not think the qualifying criteria is comparable with other hotel loyalty programs.

Kind of ironic - after 22 years with Hilton, hedoman could completely start over with Marriott or SPG and have lifetime Gold with SPG or lifetime Silver with Marriott in less time than it would take to get any kind of lifetime status with Hilton.

Of course, Hilton is free to set the bar as high as they like. And of course, those who are close to or above that bar are going to agree with it being set high. It just seems a bit odd that Hilton would set up their lifetime status requirements in such a way that it makes more sense for people to leave their program than to stay in it.

ZenWorld Mar 3, 2015 4:56 am

I think 1000 nights is a very high benchmark, and to disregard award nights and points and cash nights, I think I might never reach it even in 20 years!?!

Perhaps Hilton should look into including award nights and cash & points nights.

Starwood is just 500 nights, awards nights included (correct me if I am wrong).

indufan Mar 3, 2015 8:30 am

Originally Posted by ZenWorld (Post 24445408)
I think 1000 nights is a very high benchmark, and to disregard award nights and points and cash nights, I think I might never reach it even in 20 years!?!

Perhaps Hilton should look into including award nights and cash & points nights.

I am good with a thousand nights. I think the Starwood number is way too low. Of course, I have always thought the hotel status standards have been way too low in general.

Miesque Mar 3, 2015 9:25 am

I finally got an email with the info I requested and I was surprised how many of my nights were award nights (I have always thought I did a good job maximizing that and it was a nice to know that was in fact the case). A thousand nights is going to take a while.

stanj Mar 3, 2015 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by SADDE6 (Post 24444798)
It just seems a bit odd that Hilton would set up their lifetime status requirements in such a way that it makes more sense for people to leave their program than to stay in it.

My sentiments exactly, except I'd be less polite--I think it's downright moronic. I'm still scratching my head about this when compared to other programs' lifetime status requirements, and in my mind that's what it's all about--competitive advantage.

Sure, people that have made the requirements will be happy it's set so high, after all nobody wants to see the ranks inundated. But the whole point of lifetime status is to incentivize people to remain loyal, yet they've set the bar so high in comparison to other programs that it really does make sense to leave.

worldiswide Mar 3, 2015 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Miesque (Post 24446618)
I finally got an email with the info I requested and I was surprised how many of my nights were award nights (I have always thought I did a good job maximizing that and it was a nice to know that was in fact the case). A thousand nights is going to take a while.

How long did it take?

CIT85 Mar 3, 2015 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by ZenWorld (Post 24445408)

Starwood also counts SPG AMEX CC nights (5 per year).

Starwood also grant LT Platinum status as soon as 500 nights is reached, assuming 10 years Plat is already reached. Very achievable threshold.

SPG Platinum has to be earned, no spending your way to Plat status through AMEX spending, thus making Plat status more meaningful.