Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

At least it isn't Marriott... Right?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GE

A few issues from the past few months..

- Not getting emails
- Walking Diamonds
- Resort Fees
- Terrible breakfast in Vegas

Marriott takes it to a whole new level...

- Blocking alternative Internets other than their own. Then having the position that the FCC should ALLOW them to do this.
- #MaidTipGate - ugh... Very tacky of Marriott if you ask me..

So, although I don't know HHs position on these two issues, I will gladly take Hilton problems as apposed to Marriott's. I can say I have never stayed at a Marriott property. Ever.

Just a tongue in cheek thread, poking fun at the competition.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:24 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
I'm not sure a few threads here are a reflection of where Hilton is heading. None of those problems are 'Hilton' as such but rather problems with individual properties.

The internet issue at Marriott is downright disgusting. They should be forced to refund customers too.

I left a tip in the envelope at Marriott at ORD (FTU) last week "d00t's tip: If you want more cash - ask your employer for a raise". Hopefully this is worth more than a couple of bucks in the long term!
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
Originally Posted by d00t
I'm not sure a few threads here are a reflection of where Hilton is heading. None of those problems are 'Hilton' as such but rather problems with individual properties.

The internet issue at Marriott is downright disgusting. They should be forced to refund customers too.

I left a tip in the envelope at Marriott at ORD (FTU) last week "d00t's tip: If you want more cash - ask your employer for a raise". Hopefully this is worth more than a couple of bucks in the long term!
doot, Don't be so cheap. My mother worked as a waitress for over 50 years and depended on tips to get by. That's the way the system works. Your tip is worthless. I have a tip for you. If you don't like tipping, change the system.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by Lurch
doot, Don't be so cheap. My mother worked as a waitress for over 50 years and depended on tips to get by. That's the way the system works. Your tip is worthless. I have a tip for you. If you don't like tipping, change the system.
Your mother was a waitress where the IRS allows her to be paid less than minimum wage, work for tips and be paid based on a minimum wage. I doubt your mother kept a track of ALL tips and reported them to the IRS to be taxed. Housekeepers are paid at least minimum wage and are taxed on their hourly wage and I doubt they report extra tips as taxable income. Two very different situations.

The "system" in the US has become one of tip-happy expectations.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The internet-blocking behavior at a specific Marriott property was egregious, but there's a place to discuss it, and that's the Marriott forum. The topic has its own thread.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The internet-blocking behavior at a specific Marriott property was egregious, but there's a place to discuss it, and that's the Marriott forum. The topic has its own thread.
It could apply to other brands. I would hope Hilton doesn't see this as an opportunity but I think it is pretty important. I have no intentions to discuss it in that forum, Marriott has made it perfectly clear on how they feel about the issue.

Considering phones are moving towards VoIP - for instance with Verizon's XLTE - this could be a huge issue in the future if it becomes an accepted practice in the hotel industry as phones start to rely on VoIP by removing the specific voice radio.

Block your access point so you have to pay for their Internet.
Block your cell so you have to pay for their phones.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pragakhan
It could apply to other brands. I would hope Hilton doesn't see this as an opportunity but I think it is pretty important. I have no intentions to discuss it in that forum, Marriott has made it perfectly clear on how they feel about the issue.
And the courts have made it equally clear how they feel. It violates the Federal Communications Act.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Housekeepers are paid at least minimum wage and are taxed on their hourly wage and I doubt they report extra tips as taxable income.
general rule of thumb: no one looking for a tip will be laughing all the way to the bank afterwards. tip big every time, collect your good karma, and move on!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
general rule of thumb: no one looking for a tip will be laughing all the way to the bank afterwards. tip big every time, collect your good karma, and move on!
Everyone in the US is looking for a tip. We have an out of control tipping culture where the employer is looking to absolve the business of paying anything more than minimum. Tipping is meant for those making less than minimum wage to bring their pay up to minimum.

I have no problem with my karma, but thank you for your concern.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I can see both sides of the issue of tipping maids: I don't want hotel managers en masse to start thinking of maids as "habitually tipped employees" who may be legally paid < minimum wage as waitresses already are. As of now, I've read that many maids in Wash. DC are paid a wage of ~$14 per hour, perhaps thanks to a strong union. Finally, if we pay >= $200 a night for a hotel room, we should be able to trust the mgt. to be non-cheapskates who pay their employees a living wage where tips are unnecessary!
OTOH, Karma: I see a housekeeper as a person less fortunate than myself esp. at a Red Roof Inn or even a Hampton or Fairfield Inn. And when I stay on awards in a room for zero money cost, I am willing to show some gratitude via a $3 a day tip.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Everyone in the US is looking for a tip. We have an out of control tipping culture where the employer is looking to absolve the business of paying anything more than minimum. Tipping is meant for those making less than minimum wage to bring their pay up to minimum.

I have no problem with my karma, but thank you for your concern.
Particularly when on business travel, I tend to treat a hotel room as if I were a guest in someone's home - don't make much of a mess. In such cases, I see little reason to leave a tip. If on leisure travel with my wife, we end up making a bit of a mess, or the housekeeper does something extra, we will leave a tip of as much as $5 per day - not necessarily every day.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tipping is meant for those making less than minimum wage to bring their pay up to minimum.
Do you tip servers in California?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.