Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton 2X points..worth paying extra or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I am considering the current offer from Hilton to get 2x the points by paying $25 (excluding taxes) per night to get about 7500 points in total for a 5-night stay. That's about $125 + taxes. Assuming with taxes the total is $150, which puts the per point cost at $0.02, is this worth it or not? Thoughts?

Cheers!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Most of us value Hilton points at .005 cents each, so unless you need them to get over a magic number to reach a free night that you're going to use soon, the math speaks for itself.

That said" are you signed up for any of the other promos including the credit card ones.

Bob H
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I believe BobH means half a cent each, or $0.005. It can be work to achieve even that.

Unless the OP needs a few points for an immediate high-value/long stay redemption I can't see paying $0.02/point.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Bob, thanks for the speedy reply. I am till kinda new to this game and am learning how to evaluate the value for points. It's good to know that Hilton points are valued at 0.005. No, at this point I'm not trying to get to a magic number. So, like you said it doesn't make any sense to pay for the extra points.

As far as credit card sign ups are concerned I have the Amex Surpass(?) and the Citi card (the one without the annual fee). I'll have to look and consider the other cards that are out there.

Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate your input!

Cheers!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I believe BobH means half a cent each, or $0.005. It can be work to achieve even that.

Unless the OP needs a few points for an immediate high-value/long stay redemption I can't see paying $0.02/point.
Thanks 3Cforme! Yeah, I didn't know how much the Hilton points are valued at. It doesn't make any sense to take up the 2x offer at this point.

Cheers!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I will happily buy lots of Hilton points at .005 cents (or $0.00005 US dollars). That would be a 90,000 point HHonors redemption for $4.50.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, SAS Diamond (*A Gold)
Normally I would not recommend using the 2x package. In most cases it is too expensive.

There is one exception: if you expect to have a substantial amount of room charges (say, a dinner with your colleagues) then this might be a good deal. You will get 2x on all base points - including the ones from your room charge.

Last edited by Frequie; Aug 26, 2014 at 9:06 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by HariBlue108
Hello,

I am considering the current offer from Hilton to get 2x the points by paying $25 (excluding taxes) per night to get about 7500 points in total for a 5-night stay. That's about $125 + taxes. Assuming with taxes the total is $150, which puts the per point cost at $0.02, is this worth it or not? Thoughts?

Cheers!
I often look at it this way: Will the amount of points "buy" me a room for more than the extra cost to get the points? I doubt 7500 points will get me a room that costs more than $150. So, for me, the answer is not worth it.

Obviously if you need the points to put you over a certain amount then YMMV.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Another consideration - if someone else (employer, client) is paying for the room, will not scrutinize this level of detail.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
One other thing - the amount over an easy cancellation rate is often quite small, but if you have a good corporate rate, MVP, Gold Medal or even AAA, all of which offer some degree of flexibility, you are paying a much larger premium for the points.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by diver858
Another consideration - if someone else (employer, client) is paying for the room, will not scrutinize this level of detail.
And just how ethical is that?
hypercrypt likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Cymro
One other thing - the amount over an easy cancellation rate is often quite small, but if you have a good corporate rate, MVP, Gold Medal or even AAA, all of which offer some degree of flexibility, you are paying a much larger premium for the points.
Which is why I've never found the double points rate even close to worth while. Though, as Frequie mentioned, if I were hosting something like a very expensive meal (and charging it to my room), the calculation might change.

I value Hilton points at under $.005, though; more like $.0035 since the devaluations (and the fact that I compare the points with the avoided cost, which might be at a nearby hotel).
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, AA Plat. Pro
Originally Posted by JDiver
I do it all the time. We have a maximum we can spend on a room. If the room isn't that much more expensive to use the 2x price I do it quite a bit. I do the same thing with IHG rates that are 1000 bonus points too. It's the price of having to travel and my company is perfectly fine with it. They base our costs on the maximum when we travel.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by JDiver
Same applies to people who take points instead of free breakfasts because they get reimbursed for meals.

Bob H
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Maybe a naïve question. Does the current winter Double Up promotion (get 2x base points AFTER your first stay) work with the 2x points rate? Such that you effectively get 4x base points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.