FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Consolidated "Hilton Honors Account Hacked" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1570071-consolidated-hilton-honors-account-hacked-thread.html)

davie355 Aug 8, 2017 11:25 am

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 28661264)
I got an email from [email protected], subject "Hilton Honors Points Transfer Receipt."

Entire point balance siphoned into a recipient account bearing a Chinese name.

I logged into hilton.com and don't see any activity. Personal info (email, phone) not changed. Any clue how this could have happened? What does points.com require to initiate a transfer?

Update: ...

I contacted Hilton and they said no transfers have been made, that I must have received those receipts in error.

This morning I got an email saying my email address on file has been changed. I logged in and found that it was changed from [email protected] to [email protected], which does not exist.

I also noticed that my point balance has decreased by 9,000 even though there is nothing in "recent activity" to indicate that.

RogerD408 Aug 9, 2017 7:26 am

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 28663491)

I contacted Hilton and they said no transfers have been made, that I must have received those receipts in error.

This morning I got an email saying my email address on file has been changed. I logged in and found that it was changed from [email protected] to [email protected], which does not exist.

I also noticed that my point balance has decreased by 9,000 even though there is nothing in "recent activity" to indicate that.

My suspicion is your email got attached to another account (given the closeness of emails) and the transactions hopefully are legit. If you keep getting notices, get HH to do an email search to see if that is the case.

rhoman Aug 10, 2017 7:45 am

Well I am sitting on 9 business days since being hacked with no response or update from Hilton fraud. I emailed the HHfraud desk Monday, but no response yet. I only lost 51K, so it was no at bad as others here, but still there was fraud and points were stolen. I thought being a Diamond would of bought a little leeway, but apparently not. The fraud team's response time seems to be pretty arbitrary as some ppl were fixed within 1-3 days, while others are sitting for two weeks.

navelfluff Aug 10, 2017 11:54 am

Originally Posted by rhoman (Post 28672031)
The fraud team's response time seems to be pretty arbitrary as some ppl were fixed within 1-3 days, while others are sitting for two weeks.

Or perhaps they are completely swamped having suffered losses to a large number of accounts through a points.com related hack/exploit.

Jlo22 Aug 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Its been one month for me

I had 500k points taken out of my account. I saw the emails come across on my phone that said I had changed my email and phone number and immediately behind that was 3 transfer emails, 1k, 9k and 490k. I immediately stepped outside and called Hilton honors and was on the phone with them for about 45 mins. The lady on the phone said I should have my points back in about 3 to 4 days. Its been a month!! I call every Friday and get no answers except that my case is still open. Its so frustrating that no one will talk to me and tell me what is going on. Its been an awful experience and I stay at Hilton properties every week and have been a Diamond member for 5 years.

I just wanted to update this and let you all know that after 1 month the points showed back up in my account. I never received any communication from Hilton but they did finally follow through. I recommend contacting them every week if you have this problem.

happyrobot Aug 13, 2017 7:19 pm

We are approaching 20 days without a single word from them.
I realize it's not actual cash like when a credit card is stolen, but still. Points have a value and if they can get their systems secure enough in regards to the connection to points.com, maybe someone needs to re-evaluate that.

RogerD408 Aug 14, 2017 8:13 am

Originally Posted by happyrobot (Post 28686070)
We are approaching 20 days without a single word from them.
I realize it's not actual cash like when a credit card is stolen, but still. Points have a value and if they can get their systems secure enough in regards to the connection to points.com, maybe someone needs to re-evaluate that.

I think it's time to call back and escalate to get an update. Maybe they are swamped with issues and you're still on the list. Maybe it's been assigned to someone that is on vacation. Maybe they simply dropped the ball altogether. Asking is the only way to find out. Yes, the first contact may give you some song and dance about why you should wait longer, and it's up to you to accept or insist on talking to someone higher up (provided you actually get someone higher up).

If you have a need to use those missing points, you may be able to get HH to advance the points to allow you to take your trip and not wait for them to finish their clean up work. You'll only know if you ask.

serpens Aug 14, 2017 10:27 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 28687816)
You'll only know if you ask.

Words of wisdom from my old boss: "If you don't ask, they can't say yes." That's true both for advancing points (if needed) and bumping the priority on your report.

Kim Karant Aug 17, 2017 6:45 am

Last night around 11pm I checked my email before bed and found that I had two confirmation emails from Hilton Honors confirming my 108K+ miles successfully being transferred to Jeffrey Ji - at first I assumed it was a spoof email but then saw a point balance mentioned and the correct tier status, so logged into my account and called Hilton at same time - nice gentlemen confirmed that there had been a transfer and it appeared to have been done possibly through points.com and couldn't be cancelled (that confuses me) -I also was told 10 days for reinstatement and a claim had been opened. Meantime I spent hours changing every password on every account I have, praying they didn't somehow hack my phone or ipad or laptop and somehow capture all my logins - I am a wreck worrying now

filelover Aug 17, 2017 7:44 am

I got a email saying points had been redeemed for a reservation.
When I did an online chat they said it was made in someone else name.
Wouldn't give me details but canceled it and said to change my password

Interestingly I wasn't seeing anything in My Reservations

unicornmurphy Aug 19, 2017 11:33 pm

Add me to the list of people with stolen points via Points.com -- 83,000 transferred out to some random Asian name.

It happened on July 18th, but didn't notice until July 25th. Immediately called on the 25th and got the fraud case opened. Was told it would be resolved within 10 business.

Called back after 11 business days and was told it actually takes 14 business days and to contact the fraud protection team by email if the points weren't restored by then.

Two emails later and zero response from "fraud protection" so resorted to trying to get an update on Twitter today. Got one - apparently it really takes 30 days to get this resolved?!? Seeing that this is a widespread problem makes we wonder why it's taking any of us this long to get our points back when they know what's up.

Beyond frustrated that i'm closing in on a month with the points gone and this terrible customer service experience :mad:

unicornmurphy Aug 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by unicornmurphy (Post 28712064)
Add me to the list of people with stolen points via Points.com -- 83,000 transferred out to some random Asian name.

It happened on July 18th, but didn't notice until July 25th. Immediately called on the 25th and got the fraud case opened. Was told it would be resolved within 10 business.

Called back after 11 business days and was told it actually takes 14 business days and to contact the fraud protection team by email if the points weren't restored by then.

Two emails later and zero response from "fraud protection" so resorted to trying to get an update on Twitter today. Got one - apparently it really takes 30 days to get this resolved?!? Seeing that this is a widespread problem makes we wonder why it's taking any of us this long to get our points back when they know what's up.

Beyond frustrated that i'm closing in on a month with the points gone and this terrible customer service experience :mad:

Update: sent them a link to this thread last night with a third request for a case status update and just this afternoon got a response.

They gave me a new account number with all of my points restored. Hooray!

Hotel Points Guy Aug 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by unicornmurphy (Post 28714767)
Update: sent them a link to this thread last night with a third request for a case status update and just this afternoon got a response.

They gave me a new account number with all of my points restored. Hooray!

When Hilton gave you a new account number, was there any mention that your total lifetime nights/stays/base points were migrated to the new account? If not, I would certainly ask about it. It would be a shame to lose all the credit you've earned towards lifetime status over the years simply because that information was not attached to your new account.

cmeraw Aug 21, 2017 12:57 pm

Hacked as well

My HHonors account was hacked on 8/10/2017. All of my points were transferred to points.com. I called customer service and they submitted a claim to the fraud department. They said it usually takes 2 weeks for the case to be resolved, but they could loan me the points if I was planning to use any of them before then.

unicornmurphy Aug 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Hotel Points Guy (Post 28714874)
When Hilton gave you a new account number, was there any mention that your total lifetime nights/stays/base points were migrated to the new account? If not, I would certainly ask about it. It would be a shame to lose all the credit you've earned towards lifetime status over the years simply because that information was not attached to your new account.

Ooh, good point! I'll have to check on that.