Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Sarc.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by troyintn
I agree with Jsmith50, that is to much work. I also push 175- 200 nights a year, and really only have status with Hilton and SPG. after that it is one offs where their is nothing else.
I don't have 120nights a year to gain meaningful elite status by splitting my stays over two brands equally. The fact I can earn HH status on stays not nights does mean I will try to give 30nights/year to HH.

I use IHG as my main program, and then try to reach and keep HH-D with 30 nights, despite needing to change HH hotels each night even if I don't need to as I need at least 20 stays for HH-G to give me an alternative. I don't need to hotel hop with IHG and in anycase would not benefit by doing so.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm debating something similar at the moment. So far this year, I have 32 nights with Hilton and 2 nights with Club Carlson.

I have HH Gold (already renewed now @ 78k base points), SPG Gold and Club Carlson Gold (latter 2 are from Amex Plat).

With my planned travel already, at the end of March I will hit around 130k base points.... not do I continue at Hilton for the rest of the year and get over 250k base points? Or should I try build up to SPG Plat or CC Concierge?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:41 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Have opinions changed since the last time this thread was alive? With SPG I can chase ambassador at 100 nights, with Hyatt I get a free night every 10 nights beyond 60 nights, and similar with Fairmont (free night every 10 nights after 30 nights).

With Hilton: nothing at all after 60 nights.

If there is a deal too good to pass up in a particular Hilton property then sure I will go. But otherwise, why bother?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
No, unless you need the points for a particular Hilton aspirational property you want to go to.
Originally Posted by escape4
If there is a deal too good to pass up in a particular Hilton property then sure I will go. But otherwise, why bother?
Never mind aspirational, sometimes the math speaks for itself. My most recent stay at a DT was $110 including taxes; earned me 4199 HH points (I'm going to call that ~$20) plus 2091 BA Avios (we'll call that ~$28).

When I'm travelling alone and just need a bed for the night, elite benefits aren't really a thing, but clocking up points and miles at those rates certainly is.

Last edited by shorthauldad; Jul 18, 2017 at 1:58 am Reason: missing quote
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by escape4
With Hilton: nothing at all after 60 nights.
You are right.

I'll stay more than 60 nights at Hilton properties this year. My reasons are:
- even if Hilton has no additional benefits after 60 nights, the hotels, where I'm a regular guest, treats me better after 10, 20 or 30 stays.
- the triple point promotion is a good opportunity to collect the points for leisure stays. If you stay 90 instead of 60 nights at Hiltons, you finally have 50% more miles.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Never mind aspirational, sometimes the math speaks for itself. My most recent stay at a DT was $110 including taxes; earned me 4199 HH points (I'm going to call that ~$20) plus 2091 BA Avios (we'll call that ~$28).

When I'm travelling alone and just need a bed for the night, elite benefits aren't really a thing, but clocking up points and miles at those rates certainly is.
My post was from 2014 when we weren't receiving many bonuses. At that time, imo, racking up points at regular rates at a Hilton once you've requalified didn't make sense unless you needed them for a aspirational stay as opposed to achieving status (or pursuing bonuses offered) at another chain. I agree with you that now with the bonuses being offered it pencils out to continue staying with Hilton as long as those bonuses are available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.