Search

33% Bonus Amex-Hilton Transfers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 8:14 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
33% Bonus Amex-Hilton Transfers

Just a head's up that there is a 33% bonus for those who have Amex Membership Rewards points and want to transfer them to Hilton, you'll earn a 33% bonus. See more details here

With this it comes to 1:2 ratio.

Is anyone planning on taking advantage of this bonus?

Last edited by The Weekly Flyer; Dec 2, 2013 at 8:46 am
Old Dec 1, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
After HH's recent devaluation, I don't see how this could possibly add up. Even with the bonus, this would seem to be one of the worst uses of points.

I think even the AmEx Travel pay with points is a better option.

Last edited by jn in ca; Dec 1, 2013 at 8:43 pm
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not me. Just not enough value there.

AMEX is currently offering a 20% bonus on MR transfers to BA Executive Club. That's 1.2 Avios per MR point. Much better value for me (I use Avios for short/medium haul J redemptions on BA and CX).
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not me. Just not enough value there.

AMEX is currently offering a 20% bonus on MR transfers to BA Executive Club. That's 1.2 Avios per MR point. Much better value for me (I use Avios for short/medium haul J redemptions on BA and CX).
20% isn't that great considering you can earn 1.25 Avios per Dollar spent with the Chase card. You'd be better off using the Chase card if you use lots of Avios.

MR just doesn't have many good transfer partners. Most of the airlines either have low-value FF programs or high fees on awards.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vxmike
20% isn't that great considering you can earn 1.25 Avios per Dollar spent with the Chase card. You'd be better off using the Chase card if you use lots of Avios.

MR just doesn't have many good transfer partners. Most of the airlines either have low-value FF programs or high fees on awards.
The question was whether people are taking advantage of 2x MR to HH promotion. No one asked for your opinion on the relative merit of AMEX vs. other cards. What is it about FT that causes people to offer unsolicited (and often faulty) advice on questions that weren't even asked?

Nor can I concur with your denigration of AMEX MR. AMEX customer service is simply the best, and the MR Gold provides other perks aside from points. And I also disagree that Avios are not valuable. I just redeemed at 17.5 cents per point on CX (HKG-NRT in J). Prior redemption on BA (TXL-LHR) was at similar value.

So, bringing this back on topic, for me, there is no conceivable way that 2 HH points are worth 1.2 Avios. A really good HH redemption is 1 cent per point. A decent Avios redemption is north of 4 cents per point, and as noted above, I've redeemed at 17.5 cents.

Of course, YMMV.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 2, 2013 at 2:26 am
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
Would the AMEX transfer count as base points, towards elite status?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: EK Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by umustbjokim
Would the AMEX transfer count as base points, towards elite status?
No, just HH points unfortunately.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, UA, AA
Will a transfer reset the clock from my Hilton honors points from expiring? I have some points that will expire in Jan.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bigasiannd
Will a transfer reset the clock from my Hilton honors points from expiring? I have some points that will expire in Jan.
Yes, any activity resets expiration clock.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: all
Originally Posted by bigasiannd
yes.. transfer the bare minimum though
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can get same rate as worst case scenario in via VS.
And usually better with vs bonuses. The only reason to do this is some urgent need since vs to hh takes time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.