Wiki Posts
Search

Staying gold is getting harder?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL DM, HILTON GOLD, SPG GOLD, MARRIOTT GOLD
Staying gold is getting harder?

I got my Hilton gold status by making 16 stays in 2012 and did the same for 2013. I just find out that HH raise the bar to 20 stays in 2013.

What should I do to get gold status for 2014? Staying at four different property before Dec. 31 is certainly an option. Unfortunately, I have only one leaving town trip planed and not staying with Hilton. What else?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
nothing, but find a property close to you and stay 4 separate nights. (not back-to-back)
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL DM, HILTON GOLD, SPG GOLD, MARRIOTT GOLD
Browsing around and found this

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...g-requirement/

Getting a Hilton AE surpass card can get me to Gold? This is real?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If anything getting gold is easier if you live in the US.

You can buy gold status for something like $45 a year with that the one membership that was mentioned (I don't think you have to even be a US resident to qualify).

If you are a US resident you can get it via the citi reserve for only $95 (which is a great deal with the free night if you charge at least $10K a year).

Or the Hilton Am Ex Surpass which I think is only $75 a year.

I think it's absurd they raised the number of nights to get gold and diamond status when they are practically giving gold status away in the US. Stupid to make the requirements harder to maintain gold for people who are actually loyal to Hilton.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
We have the Citi Hilton Reserve card and get auto gold each year. We have been Diamond, but have recently switched to a different chain for many of our stays. However we are going to keep the card to stay Gold.

Plus I believe we get a free night Cert each year we renew the card.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
MVP program?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by TheTourVan
We have the Citi Hilton Reserve card and get auto gold each year. We have been Diamond, but have recently switched to a different chain for many of our stays. However we are going to keep the card to stay Gold.

Plus I believe we get a free night Cert each year we renew the card.
You get two free weekend nights after spending I believe $2,500 the first three months as a sign up and then as long as you put only $10K on the card each year you get another free weekend night.

I currently qualify for diamonds on hilton activity but may switch around loyalty myself next year and try the credit card game.

I'm thinking of getting the Am Ex Plat so I can have SPG gold for free (the Delta crossover benefits are great) and figure I can get Plat on SPG eventually with stays and put $40K on a Hyatt credit and combined with Hyatt stays get Diamond that way, and I can probably put another $40K on the Hilton credit card for diamond and have top status with all the big chains in the US sans Marriott
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm thinking of getting the Am Ex Plat so I can have SPG gold for free (the Delta crossover benefits are great) and figure I can get Plat on SPG eventually with stays and put $40K on a Hyatt credit and combined with Hyatt stays get Diamond that way, and I can probably put another $40K on the Hilton credit card for diamond and have top status with all the big chains in the US sans Marriott
You just need to spend another $180k on a Marriott card to get their Platinum status. You can do it!
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
You get two free weekend nights after spending I believe $2,500 the first three months as a sign up and then as long as you put only $10K on the card each year you get another free weekend night.

I currently qualify for diamonds on hilton activity but may switch around loyalty myself next year and try the credit card game.

Thats correct. I knew we got a free one each year, just wasnt sure if there was a spend to get it.

We switched up to Hyatt and Starwood mostly now (cards for both) as well as keeping Hilton and IHG (cards for both) for quick stays when the others are not available.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheTourVan
Thats correct. I knew we got a free one each year, just wasnt sure if there was a spend to get it.

We switched up to Hyatt and Starwood mostly now (cards for both) as well as keeping Hilton and IHG (cards for both) for quick stays when the others are not available.
The Hyatt card is worth it for the free night as well and there is no spend at all required on that or the marriott card, but it sucks you don't get free breakfast at Hyatt as a Platinum (and I don't expect it having only the credit card) but the 4 p.m. check out is great. I always use the free Hyatt nights at the WEHO andaz which more than pays for the annual fee
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

Keep in mind that although you get SPG Gold benefits with the Amex Plat, for purposes of reaching SPG Plat, you start with 0 nights, 0 stays--in other words, you get SPG Gold status but no night/stay credits. The Amex SPG does not confer Gold status but does provide some stay/night credits that can boost you towards Gold/Plat faster.

On the other hand, the Amex Plat is now just another easy way to get HHonors Gold: http://thepointsguy.com/2013/11/inst...m-cardholders/.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It is really amazing that HH makes Gold so difficult to attain by stays, yet so easy by credit card. Probably tells us something about how much money they make off the branded credit cards.

If you play the HH game, you absolutely should have one of the cards. The earnings are fantastic (12 points per dollar on Surpass, plus additional 500 per booking).
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Keep in mind that although you get SPG Gold benefits with the Amex Plat, for purposes of reaching SPG Plat, you start with 0 nights, 0 stays--in other words, you get SPG Gold status but no night/stay credits. The Amex SPG does not confer Gold status but does provide some stay/night credits that can boost you towards Gold/Plat faster.

On the other hand, the Amex Plat is now just another easy way to get HHonors Gold: http://thepointsguy.com/2013/11/inst...m-cardholders/.
I should be able to make SPG Plat on stays if I move enough of my Hilton stays to SPG in 2014. With the crossover benefits I would like to be gold before Mid Dec with SPG. I have an expensive paid business class ticket to london on Delta and the SPG crossover points would be great. I have been treated great as an SPG kettle by just being a Delta Diamond so I am sure they treat Plats and Gold's great.

The thing I like about Hilton is they are convenient in almost every City I travel in the US and in London
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
It is really amazing that HH makes Gold so difficult to attain by stays, yet so easy by credit card. Probably tells us something about how much money they make off the branded credit cards.

If you play the HH game, you absolutely should have one of the cards. The earnings are fantastic (12 points per dollar on Surpass, plus additional 500 per booking).
Diamond is pretty easy to get in the US as well, $40K in credit card spend with NO stays required.

As easy as gold is to get now I wouldn't be surprised if they eliminate breakfast from the gold benefits eventually and add another tier for people that have a lot of Hilton stays to qualify for gold but not enough for diamond.

A couple hotels I stay at that use to allow golds lounge access regardless of the room type, are now only golds access if they are on the exec floor and it sounds like after the Palmer House lounge reopens next year they are no longer going to give all gold's access either.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Diamond is pretty easy to get in the US as well, $40K in credit card spend with NO stays required.
A bit OT, but seriously!? Stuff like this makes me wish I lived in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.