Wiki Posts
Search

AXON ~ Switching Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
AXON ~ Switching Hotels

I have a question about the AXON. I made a reservation using the old AXON rate in May (pre-devaluation, which was for 4 nights at 145,000 points). My vacation plans have changed and I want to switch from Hilton Waikoloa Village (cat 7) to Hilton Barcelona (cat 7). Am I allowed to switch hotels at the original rate?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 2:22 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
AXON ~ Switching Hotels

I think you're out of luck. But, wont know until you try.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
You are probably out of luck - but as the AXON are certificate base awards (i.e., you pay for the certificate with your points, and than use the certificate to book the hotel - which is done in one sweep during the booking call), there might be a chance that they let you cancel the reservation, keep the certificate and re-use it. I would not count on it though.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:37 pm

Has anybody had to change an AXON award from old category 7 to new category 7?

I have a stay at Conrad Koh Samui and if possible would prefer to change it to Bali
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by sprials

I have a stay at Conrad Koh Samui and if possible would prefer to change it to Bali
What was the cost of your AXON award for the Conrad Koh Samui?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D

I think you are making a wrong switch. Conrad Bali, in every aspect, is far inferior comparing to Conrad Koh Samui.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:35 pm

I know its super inferior, but the timing of Koh Samui isn't that great (4 nights paid rate at Bali is alllmoost the rate of one night at Koh Samui).

It was booked for 4 nights for 145,000 (pre-devaluation)
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: HH diamond
I know its super inferior, but the timing of Koh Samui isn't that great (4 nights paid rate at Bali is alllmoost the rate of one night at Koh Samui).

It was booked for 4 nights for 145,000 (pre-devaluation)
You won't be able to switch. Any change (dates, hotel, etc) means you have to use the new AXON cost scale. Also an old Cat 7 to a new Cat 7 is not an equivalent switch. AXON Cat 7 is now 190K. They prb will let you switch with an add'l payment of 45K.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
So, how do you check to see if the hotel will accept a regular AXON for Category 7?

The Hilton website shows one night is over 300,000 points per night.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by bigjim
So, how do you check to see if the hotel will accept a regular AXON for Category 7?

The Hilton website shows one night is over 300,000 points per night.
AXON awards can ONLY be used for standard rooms. Your hotel does NOT have any standard rooms for the nights you are looking at (standard awards are NEVER 300k a night). So AXON do not apply.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
AXON awards can ONLY be used for standard rooms. Your hotel does NOT have any standard rooms for the nights you are looking at (standard awards are NEVER 300k a night). So AXON do not apply.
That's why I don't understand how anyone ever booked an AXON at this property.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Phone and ask. That's the only way I've found.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:46 pm

Bigjim,
which property were you checking? In any case AXON award is rarely worth it post devaluation (but then what is in HH).

I wanted to call and ask but the HHonors desk was closed from 12/31 midday PST, to morning of 1/2. I called once they opened and asked, and it seems like it is not possible to switch, although the certificate clearly says "Certificate good for 4 nights at any Category 1 to Category 7". If the reservation could be uncoupled from the certificate by their own terms and conditions it should clearly work (even if it needs override). In the end I didn't push too hard to get it done, why bother HH is not a very logical program anyway...
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:10 am

Bigjim,
which property were you checking? In any case AXON award is rarely worth it post devaluation (but then what is in HH).

I wanted to call and ask but the HHonors desk was closed from 12/31 midday PST, to morning of 1/2. I called once they opened and asked, and it seems like it is not possible to switch, although the certificate clearly says "Certificate good for 4 nights at any Category 1 to Category 7". If the reservation could be uncoupled from the certificate by their own terms and conditions it should clearly work (even if it needs override). In the end I didn't push too hard to get it done, why bother HH is not a very logical program anyway...
Conrad Koh Samui
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:24 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Conrad Koh Samui
What is AXON? I am only a Diamond and do not know this term. Please inform me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.